Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 23, 2007 10:55:27 AM PDT
David Burch says:
After putting out 7 tastfully packaged season sets THIS is the design they come up with for a $260 series set. I'm a huge fan of the series and would love to have all seven seasons but this packaging is clearly targeted at pre-teen girls and alienates the show's adult audience, it's male audience in particular. A Complete Series Set is a chance to wow prospective buyers, sadly I find myself repulsed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2007 8:36:22 AM PST
MJCS says:
I completely agree. I am not a male, but this design repulses me all the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2007 5:18:04 PM PST
I agree 100%. The silly packaging will cause me not to take this to the check-out counter. BAD move!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2007 8:39:37 AM PST
Lizabels says:
Even though the packaging is horrendous... it's still cheaper to get ALL the seasons I love. And really... who cares when you're saving money AND getting great entertainment?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2007 10:08:25 AM PST
Guess I'm odd man out. Saw this in a store and I loved the packaging! I'm a 30 year old mom, btw. I think it goes with the feel of the show.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2007 8:12:51 PM PST
Eric Blair says:
I agree. It was embarrassing enough waiting in line to buy season 5, what with its pink packaging and such, but this kind of takes that to a new level. I felt like the season box sets gave the appropriate mature feel, while still highlighting the fact that most of the show revolves around the relationship of two girls. This seems to take all of the credibility that the show worked for and throw it out the window, portraying it as just another sappy show for the Tiger Beat crowd. Then again, 20-something heterosexual males probably aren't their main demographic. I just found it odd that they saw the need to deviate so far from the preestablished style.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2007 12:48:11 PM PST
iluvcolor says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 7:47:50 PM PST
In my humble opinion I do believe this show was targeting young girls who wouldn't be embarassed by pink packaging or "Barbie styled" boxes. I can't wait to get mine and I'm a 40 something Mom with a teenaged daughter!!! Lorelai certainly would have been one to love all the extra fluff and cool styled box. Now I want it more than EVER!!! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2008 7:16:48 AM PST
I really do not see nothing wrong with the boxset (i'm a guy btw). It is compact, easy to carry around plus the set is not as fragile as the complete series of other shows like buffy, whereby the boxes are made of cardboard.

Each season is housed in cardboard sleeve, convenient and not as bulky as the individual sets.

Having brought both the individual as well as the complete series, i have to say i prefer the latter one. However, i do wish that they have not changed the design of the discs for the complete series set since the individual ones are far more attractive.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2008 8:23:50 AM PST
easy to carry around?? where are you going with this ? lol just curious :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2008 10:54:48 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 16, 2008 10:56:27 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2008 10:59:01 AM PST
iluvcolor says:
Now that I have the new box set, I love it! It fits nicely in my TV stand & the extra booklets are fun to review. The show was delightful, the ensemble of actors made their characters endearing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2008 1:35:22 PM PST
Lillimere says:
My grandmother always said, "you can't judge a book by it's cover." I didn't think twice about the cover. the cost was another story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2008 3:32:56 PM PDT
Justin says:
I have to agree with, I think, the majority here...this box set is HIDEOUS.

I refused to buy it. I can't believe that after making each individual set look so nice and so tastefully done, they opted to make the box set look SO silly and SO....just ugly. Its ugly. And thats why I won't buy it. Also, it looks cheap (even if its not, it still looks cheap), and it looks like something they threw together in an hour. Seems like NO thought was put into it.

I'm perfectly happy with my individual sets until they, hopefully, someday re-release this in a box set worthy of this great show.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2008 2:18:53 PM PDT
When I first saw the picture, I thought it was for something Hannah Montana.. Could have done much better in the box graphics

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2008 7:58:27 PM PST
J. Herring says:
Actually, I think the design is trying to resemble the feel of classic TV shows like Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie -- a cultural reference often heard throughout the entirety of the show. I think it's clever and fun -- not boring and mundane like the "tasteful" packaging.

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 2:16:47 PM PST
Bornintime says:
I'm a guy and am planning to buy the box set. My 11 year old daughter teases me about watching the show so this should be a very nice source of amusement for her.

Posted on Dec 30, 2009 8:53:34 AM PST
I think the box set design is cute, even though it does look like it's aimed at pre-teen girls but I agree with Heidi, I think it's something that Lorelai would've LOVED and that's the feel that the designers were going for.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Oct 23, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 30, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Gilmore Girls: The Complete Series Collection
Gilmore Girls: The Complete Series Collection by Lauren Graham (DVD - 2007)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (452)