What will be Missing from the Broadcast versions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 11, 2012 8:54:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 11:10:32 AM PST
paper tiger says:
Below is a link to a site that will list what lines are missing from what episodes.

http://uncutfriendsepisodes(dot)tripod(dot)com/

Of course replace the (dot) with a .

Amazon will not allow us to post links.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 3:39:10 AM PDT
PS says:
Actually, quite a lot is missing from the standard cut episodes. I am pretty sure that they will release the extended cut blu rays next year after milking the fan base making people to buy the same thing twice... old tactics...

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 5:17:01 PM PDT
VideoGuy says:
A LOT. You are missing 2-3 minutes of extra footage per episode. Do the math.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:06:11 AM PST
You get the original broadcast version -- that is, what was presented during the original airing from NBC's Thursday night "must see TV" line-up. When TV shows go into syndication, the common practice is to edit them to be shorter so that there is more time for commercials. So if you're used to watching the syndicated re-runs every night of the week, this set will give you the original broadcast versions.

In the production of a TV series, each episode needs to be about the same exact length (for a half hour time slot, the program itself needs to be roughly, let's say, 23 minutes -- the rest of the time is for commercials). Suppose your writers wrote an episode and after you filmed it, you only had a 20 minute show. It would be a lot of work to have your writers come up with 3 more minutes of material, film it and integrate it into the previously completed 20 minutes. No, the easier way to work is to make sure you end up with more than the required 23 minutes and then cut it down to fit -- the studio audience didn't find this joke all that funny so let's cut it, we don't need this reaction shot so let's cut it, etc. Of course, it's not always the case that everything cut out wasn't worth keeping. Sometimes good lines are cut simply because something needed to be cut and their removal least disturbed the continuity.

Well now, when the series was gradually released on DVD, somebody thought, "let's be nice to the fans and extend the episodes by adding in some of these deleted parts." Then the blu-ray set finally comes out and it is revealed that the set contains only the original broadcast versions rather than the extended versions that were made available on dvd (however the blu-ray set also has some new special features that weren't on dvd). Fans who previously bought the dvd sets are understandably miffed. They would like to upgrade to the superior quality offered by the blu-ray format, but don't want to fork out the cash only to revert back to the original broadcast versions after being accustomed to the extended versions.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:11:38 AM PST
paper tiger says:
I purchased Friends on Blu-ray and while it looks and sounds great, I do miss the extended episodes.

Such a shame, maybe one day they will be releaed in HD.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2014 3:18:55 AM PDT
Xen says:
Thank you very much for the information.

I'll always choose the original broadcast airing over extended cuts. I want it as it was originally released/intended.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2014 4:21:39 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
I understand how you feel. However for me, the first and only time I ever watched Friends was from the DVD season sets which were extended. I was stationed in Germany and as they were released on DVD, I bought and watched them. I've never seen the cut broadcast versions.

That's why this Blu-Ray set upsets me, because it's not the way I watched and remember it.

Posted on Oct 26, 2014 9:17:08 PM PDT
Hannah says:
Do the DVD versions of the box sets include the extended versions?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2014 11:02:16 PM PDT
Xen says:
That appears to be the case from what everyone is saying.

So the DVD versions are extended
The BluRay versions are the original broadcasts.

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 4:05:48 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
Yes, have owned both sets. The DVD version contains the unaired Extended Episode Versions, while the Blu-Ray box set only contains the Original Broadcast Version.

I only watched the show on DVD, so I only know the Extended versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2014 9:35:53 PM PDT
D. Arnold says:
I'm the same. I've seen both the Extended (saw them on DVD first years ago when they were first being released in 1994) and original Broadcast episodes and the episodes just do not have the same feel. It's such a difference and they have cut out SO much from the episodes just because the Networks can show more commercials. It's ridiculous. Amazing how programs can get butchered for the sake of commercials.

I was waiting for the Blu-ray release of Friends for a while and was glad when it was finally released. Was glad, that is, until I found out that it's the original Broadcast episodes, so unless the Extended episodes get released onto Blu-ray I'll be getting the DVD White Boxset.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Jul 11, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Friends: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]
Friends: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] by Jennifer Aniston (Blu-ray - 2012)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (1,247)