Customer Discussions > Beyond Justice forum

What did you think of Rachel's reaction?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 17, 2011 7:04:22 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 14, 2011 12:25:45 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 2:22:00 AM PDT
I think her gut reaction was the same that most of us would have. I couldn't imagine being in Sam's position of losing my family, being accused, etc.... but then for him to go above and beyond to forgive the killer, it's emotional stuff. I think even the most faithful of people would have a struggle with that type of forgiveness. When Jesus died he forgave those who persecuted him but the apostles had a hard time with that concept. In my daily life I typically forgive the wrongs that have been done to me because life is just too short to carry that around. However, I'm forgiving stupid things in comparision to what Sam forgave. I'm inclined to believe I would react in much the way Rachel reacted.

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 2:13:09 PM PDT
I think Rachel's reaction was a very human reaction. She was not only observing what Sam had been and was still going through, but her life had also been affected. Despite hearing over and over that God forgives us, that holding a grudge only hurts us, that forgiveness frees us..... it is still hard to do in extreme cases like this.

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 2:17:07 PM PDT
I think a lot of Rachel's reaction probably had a lot to do with her past also. We didn't get more than a quick glimpse, but knowing that her brother killed himself while serving for a crime he didn't commit makes me think that her reaction was based on feelings leftover from that tragedy. Sam is the second loved one she's watched go through this type of horror and though he made it out alive unlike her brother, he suffered; suffered exponentially and I think that makes it very hard for her, despite her strong faith, to forgive the guilty party.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Beyond Justice forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Mar 17, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 18, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Beyond Justice
Beyond Justice by Joshua Graham (Paperback - April 27, 2010)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (763)