5.0 out of 5 stars Two brains are better than one!, April 30, 2012
This review is from: What's Behind Your Belly Button?: A Psychological Perspective of the Intelligence of Human Nature and Gut Instinct (Paperback)
This work is a culturally fascinating exploration of self-development--and what determines how, and why, we develop our unique sense of Self. The authors share an in-depth look into the universal feelings we all share and recognize--fear, guilt and anger--and how with self reflection we can can use this knowledge for connection and growth, leading to a better life experience for all involved. Using clinical and research studies, along with current neurological findings in the fields of medicine and biology, the book shows how the full, 'inside person' develops based upon their own gut feelings, which they use to relate with their world. "What's Behind Your Belly Button" offers a new and clear view of what it means to have communication between the gut--emotions and feelings--and the brain. In this cutting-edge psychological perspective, Martha Love and Robert Sterling truly do prove that 'two brains are better than one'--because this way of self discovery leads to a life that is rich with success, healing, and a deep whole Self knowing. Their 'Somatic Reflection Process' is one of the most enlightening approaches towards understanding human nature that I have encountered--and I plan to use it in my own work with the discovering Self as an integral part in any healing process. Beautiful job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Protocol for Uniting the Gut and the Mind, February 3, 2013
WHAT'S BEHIND YOUR BELLY BUTTON?

A PSYCHOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE OF THE INTELL GENCE OF HUMAN AND GUT INSTINCT

By MARTHA CHAR LOVE AND ROBERT W. STERLING

Authors Love and Sterling point out in their dedication of this book to the youth of the 50s and 60s, that they were the first to realize the power love and peace offers in uniting the various differences within humanity. This was not explainable then -- just a "gut feeling".

Since those times the authors have, through extensive research and counseling sessions, along with neurological studies, been able to identify the gut as a second brain; one more in tune with somatic reactions to stress and emotional feelings. Once people learn how to combine the two brains, it becomes possible to use that natural combination to experience healing, stress reduction and dis-ease.

The authors, working on the premise that "nature creates the situations called problems and man discovers the solutions," present a protocol for "facilitating the Somatic Reflection Process". An external guide called a facilitator guides the patient through a process of acceptance of feelings, past and present, allowing the person to share emotional inner needs which are often the cause of physical distress. People through language, such as, "I feel like I got punched in the gut," or " I got a gut instinct about this," have always sensed that the gut was the seat of emotion leading to illness and duress. Many actors routinely throw up before a performance; others become nervous over something and experience diarrhea or cannot eat.

Using the Somatic Process can help people bring the internal, often deep-seated emotions of loneliness, an empty gut feeling, and myriads of distressing emotions to the surface; to examine these feelings and their origin which are mostly buried in the subconscious mind during childhood. Working through these unresolved memories can result in "full gut - empty mind," freeing the patient from real and misconceived ideas causing physical and mental pain, which dissipates once the instinctual needs are both met and accepted. This process is exceptionally advantageous in dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

The authors maintain that today's lifestyles tend to ignore inner feelings, operating on outside systems of thought. This is an extraordinary book, one that can be referred to each time a person feels that "empty gut" sensation. The solutions are laid out in simple steps throughout this phenomenal book.

Micki Peluso: writer, journalist, and author of . . . And the Whippoorwill Sang

=

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, March 22, 2012
This is an excellent book for anyone who is interested in understanding their gut feelings and instincts to improve their life. I recommend it particularly for parents who want to learn how to educate and nurture the feelings of the child and not just the academic brain. "What's Behind Your Belly Button?" goes beyond any book I have read so far in explaining gut feelings and their psychological makeup. When I read this book, I was able to finally understand why it is so easy to overeat by confusing the emptiness feeling in the stomach as always being a need for food rather than the more psychological needs that the authors demonstrate them to relate to. After reading through some of the dialogs on gut feelings presented in this book, I understand myself better than I ever have before. Martha Love and Robert Sterling have presented a new image of who we are as human beings and what it means to have an intelligent center in the gut to learn to consciously use to communicate with the intelligence in our head to make healthy decisions, not just in what we eat but in everything that we do and don't do.
I particularly liked the chapter on education and the lengthy letter they included that they had sent to President Obama about the importance of the education of our gut feelings in the educational process to help people learn to make healthy decisions.
I think that this book is equally valuable for professioals in Psychology or the Medical fields, as well as for all the rest of us, as it is both deeply personal at times and yet very well researched. I think nearly everyone could benefit from reading "What's Behind your Belly Button?" It gives a hopeful new view of human kind and would make a good gift for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars An important book, August 28, 2013
This is an important book, it brings a focus to the deep value of the gut and the role that gut instinct and wisdom plays in our lives. There's a lot behind your belly button, and your life can be changed by truly understanding that. Recent neuroscience evidence has shown we have a complex, adaptive and functional neural network or 'brain' in our gut. The authors of this book describe their work and insights on this gut brain and the competencies it is involved in. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about the important distinctions of the intelligence of the gut.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST READ!!!, August 28, 2012
This book is a MUST READ for anyone who is searching for answers to why we have "gut feelings or instincts". This book speaks to me in so many ways, and has helped me get in touch with feelings from childhood and the gut instincts that have a part of my decision making as an adult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Self-Help Book on Gut Feelings and Instincts!, September 23, 2012
I was looking for a book to help me understand what gut feelings and gut instincts really are and how to use them to increase my intuition and success in making business decisions. While this book doesn't talk about the gut as it pertains to business per se, it is the clearest guide I have found so far in how to become aware of your gut feelings. They clearly explain exactly what these feelings are and how to use them to manage stress and make successful decisions in life, including career decisions. I am so glad that I read this book because it gave me a method to become aware of the directions my gut is indicating I need to go in to be healthy and suceessful in life and I have been able to use this everyday. I highly recommend this book because it is a very understandable narrative and truly fills in some of the questions we all have about ourselves and who we are as human beings with gut feelings.

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU REALLY DO HAVE TWO BRAINS!, November 14, 2013
Mamie "Loving Life" (Bremerton, WA 98312) - See all my reviews
Reflections of Mamie - A Story of Survival

At first when I saw this cover and read the Amazon introduction it was obvious it was not a book about a baby story but a book I just had to buy. Let's face it, babies are sweet and innocent and you learn with fascination of your baby the many aspects of life he or she is experiencing. But this book goes beyond the cute baby photo and allows us to see what is behind that belly button. The actual feeling of gut pain that alerts us to when something is wrong or simply uncomfortable. It is a great science that our body parts have their own intelligence yet this book clearly shows with clinical studies what we have in common between our brain and our gut.

Your going to love what your learn about the things already in your own mind, heart and gut but may or may not have listened to in the past.

What's Behind The Bellybutton offers an insight to how you can use and listen to those nagging feelings or gut instincts when reflecting on a problem worrying you have no answer but while the solution really lies inside your own body.

This book through proven studies about the gut shows you over and over again how we can learn from this special communication between the brain and your stomach in a special way from these two authors even the simple layman can understand. It offers you the ability to recognize those feelings and learn to benefit from these "gut instincts" that without, you could make some serious errors in life with severe consequences.

Yes, these authors were indeed sincere offering all of us a way to believe in ourselves. I for one have anguished over decisions that were difficult to make and have made myself think I was merely sick when in actuality it was my stomach trying to communicate with my brain a message that was often a critical answer to many times a life altering decision.

It is not often you have the opportunity to read material that is written by highly educated authors in the science field that may be over our heads and presented in a way that makes us understand answers that we may otherwise never have gotten. This is not just a book for the professional but for all of us.

I was curious enough after reading the introduction to open the pages of this incredible book and finally understand this connection between the gut and brain. I would have never thought to search out a book to find out why one gets these gnawing feelings as-you just think it's a normal stressful reaction to whatever you are pondering.

But this book is different. All things are more easily understood now that I have read this book learning we do have TWO BRAINS and how to understand this communication between them.

I am not sure how I ever got along without it and at the very least am so grateful now that I own it and have read it. Now, I know that this vital communication inside ourselves is natural and makes our lives so much richer.

The research combined with clinical studies has enabled these two brilliant authors a way to share with us the most fundamental understanding of ourselves and I for one wish to thank them myself for making the choices they made that convinced me to see who or what I am, by understanding that "gut feeling" are what we all have and experience and not just a stressful reaction but rather an actual communication within ourselves.

Martha Char Love and Robert Sterling will hold your attention as you learn who you are and how intelligent you really are-Now that's some gift!

The holidays are upon us so why not a gift of love, understanding and self improvement learning you have two brains!

Mamie