4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious...
Wouldn't any young girl give her eyeteeth to spend her seventeenth birthday in Paris with the man of her dreams? Probably, unless she happened to have her very own baby as an obligatory guest on the excursion. Before your eyebrows hit the ceiling, it's a fake baby, as Emily has to explain a few dozen times over the course of the novel.
She was supposed to only have...
Published on May 7, 2004 by Huntress Reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Definately for extremely toung folk. No story, just a bunch of teenage garble.
Published 4 months ago by Bob Watson

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious..., May 7, 2004
She was supposed to only have Baby Annoy for a few days, as a school project to learn how serious a parenting career is, but life threw her a curve, forcing Emily to have to take it with her to Paris for Spring Break or risk killing her GPA. So, "Jack", her "child" gets to go along to her survival French lessons, gets a nice, unexpected swin in the canal, locked in at Notre Dame, and a few other adventures. Emily realizes that she is going to have to be able to afford a nanny when she has a real baby. Then comes the big night of her birthday, one she's been planning for ages. It is supposed to be a once in a lifetime night shared with Devon, but will it be?
**** Katie Maxwell deftly and hilariously delivers a potent message about the most important decisions. Emily is a breath of fresh air, wholly realistic, and utterly charming. If you love the Princess Diaries, this series is equally fun, no matter if you are a teen or once were one. ****
Amanda Killgore

4.0 out of 5 stars Katie's books are always great, May 9, 2004
I'm another adult fan of Katie's "Emily" series, and I thought this was a great book. The use of Paris as the setting was really fun, especially Emily's massacring of the French language. My favorite part of the book was Emily's "son" Jack, the pregnancy-prevention doll she was forced to lug around Paris. I missed Emily's interaction with her family, especially her father Brother. I can't wait for her to get back to England. I didn't like this book quite as much as the first two in the series, but Katie's worst book is better than most other authors' best. Maybe I just liked it less because I know Emily was meant to be with Fang, and he wasn't in this book at all. But I can be patient until the next book where I'm sure Katie will wrap things up nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hilarious Return of Emily, May 18, 2004
Erika Sorocco (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
Everyone's favorite Englander, Emily, is back and better than ever. However, this time she's not in England, or even Scotland, but rather Paris, France, the city of love. Where she is spending her Spring Break learning to speak the language of love, and she's not going it alone. Emily's best friend, Holly, is there with her, as well as her super hot new boyfriend, Devon, and...a baby? That's right, Emily is stuck with a whining, wetting, little baby for a whole month. No, not a REAL baby, but rather one of those dolls that teach you what being a young Mother is really like, known as the LuvMyBaby v4.75. It seems easy to raise a doll for a month, however, Emily is unprepared for the true responsibility, and the fact that the doll is truly cramping her style. I mean, how is a girl supposed to enjoy not only her seventeenth birthday, but her very long-awaited trip to Paris, as well as spend time with her super cute new boyfriend with a baby in tow?
As WHAT'S FRENCH FOR "EW!"? is the third book in the favorite-to-many Emily series, it is a harsh fact that Emily will soon be leaving us for good, as there is only one more title planned in the series. Until that last title comes, we must savor the enjoyment, and cherish the time we get to spend with her. It is a known fact that readers can become attached to fictional characters whom they read often. But with Emily it's more. Reading an Emily book is like reading a letter from your best friend. Her ridiculously witty personality keep the reader on the edge of their seat, always hoping for the best for our dear little Emily. Fans of THE YEAR MY LIFE WENT DOWN THE LOO and THEY WEAR WHAT UNDER THEIR KILTS? will not be disappointed in this latest installment to the Emily series. A must have.
Erika Sorocco

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, funny, funny!, May 7, 2004
First of all, I'm an adult who has thoroughly enjoyed the first two books in Ms. Maxwell's 'Emily' series - and so I was very excited to get my hands on WHAT'S FRENCH FOR 'EW?'. And I was NOT disappointed! Poor, hapless Emily is going to France for a two-week intensive language course - and her BF, Devon, is to meet her there for her 17th birthday, too. Unfortunately, Emily's problems begin even before she gets on the plane to Paris - the 'baby' she's been taking care of as part of a class project, has to go with her! And considering that Jack (the baby) looks and sounds like a REAL baby - well, can you see where Emily's going to have some problems? :)
I laughed so many times while reading this book! I highly recommend this book for any teen girls (I'd say from 13 and up - maybe younger if they're mature for their age) and for any adults who remember (even vaguely!) what it was like to be 16 years old. The book reads quickly and easily (it's in the format, again, of e-mails - Maxwell does this REALLY well!), but I'd warn you not to eat or drink anything while reading this book! You might choke on something while you're laughing!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Emilys back?, January 2, 2005
A Kid's Review
I was incredibly exicted to see a new Emily book out-I loved the other two. As soon as I picked it up, and started reading it, however, my good mood fell. This book is not nearly as entertaining as the other two, and it mainly focuses on one aspect of the trip-when her boyfriend comes to see her. This book is not recommended to children, and it is not really as recommended to anyone else. Check her other books out, though. They are really good. This just dissapointed me. Emily goes to France to study French for two weeks during spring break. She is stuck with a robotic baby issued in Health class. She must tote around this baby, as well as concentrate on when her boyfriend Devon comes to town, what they will do. It is acceptable, but below Mrs. Maxwell's usual standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS BOOK! A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++, July 19, 2005
A Kid's Review
This book is the best of the three (even though there's four, but I haven't read the fourth so I'm just basing it on the three I've read). I've read this book twice, and each time, I can't help but crack up at all the funny and stupid things Emily does.

The thrid of the Emily quartet storyline:

Emily's class (the one Ms. Horseface teaches)is getting fake babies for the Teen pregnancy provention. Emily and Holly have plans to go to Paris for a class to learn french. Emily and Holly get to leave early because they got freebie tickets. But when Emily misses the drop off period for her fake baby, Jack, she must face the concequences: take Jack to Paris and let the whole trip be ruined. She also has plans to meet Devon there, where she has very special plans with him for her Birthday.

While there, Emily and Holly get stuff stolen from them by GAMINS which r kids who come in heards and steal, then Em and Hol get trapped in a tower of Notre Dame... but there's so much more they experience, but you'll have to read it yourself!

This book is one of my favorites of all time... you should most definately read it.

P.S. Plz, read the first two before reading this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars What's French for awesome?!, July 22, 2005
This was an excellant addition to the emily series. I loved it and I know you will to. Seriously go buy it now and read it as soon as you possibly can!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Katie Maxwell book, June 21, 2010
Laura C. (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
As an adult reader, I enjoy reading Katie Macalister's adult novels. I found out through our local library she wrote young adult novels under the pen name Katie Maxwell. I decided to buy all the books I could and sent them on to the teenage nieces in our family to read. This was one of the novels I sent and yes, I read it before sending. It was a great read for ages 15-17, I don't recommend sending for younger than 15 there are some drinking and references to sexual encounters in some of her novels. But hey, to each their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars ohmigod...., August 16, 2004
C. Pyles (Ocoee, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
Like all of Emily's previous books before this, I have only one thing to say: CANT... WAIT... FOR... NEXT... BOOK... THE TAMING OF THE DRU... Katie Maxwells books give me the heeby-jeebies. They're just soooooooooo funny and creative- so good. With each passing book I wish I were more and more like Emily. Puhlease, my life is so boring compared to all the events that happen to her. Plus I happen to be hopelessly in love with Fang. Ahhhhhhhhh... Fang... GOD I LOVE THESE BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, January 12, 2013
Another funny book with crazy adventures with Emily amd Holly. This time they are in France for a school thing and Emily gets stuck with a ''baby''!