5.0 out of 5 stars Another great series from Laurie
As a fan of the Abby Cooper series, I anticipated this new series - A Ghost Hunter Mystery - and I was not disappointed - this is another delightful series!! M.J. and her partner, Gilley are ghostbusters. Dr. Steven Sable, hires them to find out what happened to his grandfather. As Ms. Laurie has done with the Abby Cooper books, she shows us the role of a psychic - the...
Published on April 5, 2007 by ellen

2.0 out of 5 stars A Difference of Opinion
I was really excited to read this book because I love the Psychic Eye Mysteries Victoria Laurie also writes. I'm not a picky reader, but I'm sorry, this didn't quite do it for me and I ended up very disappointed.

I was hoping they'd be different from the P. E. Mysteries, but still have similar elements of style. Even though I like romance, this book was...
Published on July 30, 2007 by Crochet Ghoul

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 510 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed book, March 21, 2009
I enjoyed this light hearted mystery. I think you have to let yourself go with it and not get hung up on the characters being a little sterotypical. It a good beach read and the mystery keeps you going.

The most distracting part was how the author overused the guy who didn't understand English so well and kept misusing words. It was funny at first but became tiresome near the end. However - it's not a major distraction.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really fun read, January 8, 2014
I like this series. It is fun, and also and reads smoothly and quickly. When I get a new book in this series, I do not plan on anything but enjoying the time reading. I think Victoria Laurie does pretty well at keeping me on pins and needles.

5.0 out of 5 stars she won me back, December 13, 2013
I just recently discovered reading again. Started with Abby Cooper and then went on to MJ Holliday.....I just love the way Victoria Laurie writes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghosties fun, October 22, 2013
This series is really fun! Both my husband and I loved them. They are fluff with a heart, a mystery, and a romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, December 10, 2012
Sasha M (KANSAS CITY, KANSAS, US) - See all my reviews
This is such a fun series. A great book with a little bit of romance and lots of spooky fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Start to an Amazing Series, December 23, 2011
This first book of the Ghost Hunter Mysteries had all of the elements of a cute mystery read: unique characters including psychic/medium M.J., her outrageous business partner Gilley, and a young Antonio Banderas-like heartthrob. There was also the parrot who learned off-color and just downright embarrassing phrases, like calling M.J's cute client "Dr. Delicious." There was even a haunted hunting lodge and the mystery of the client's grandfather's death. The missing factors were (1) things that were actually scary, or at least spooky (I mean, the series has "ghosthunter" in the name), (2) a plot more complex than an episode of Scooby Doo, and (3) characters that I actually cared about. It was a nice way to spend a cold winter night, but it could have been much better. I have to say though, that the series is worth investing in, as M.J. and the gang really hit their stride in book three, and the rest of the series is not to be overlooked. Like fine wine, it gets better with time!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great new series, June 28, 2007
Victoria Laurie's hit new series involves a P.I. Except this time instead of a pyschic we have M.J. who can talk to ghosts and help them move on. She can see them as well, but they are not always visible because it takes a lot of energy from the ghost to make themselves visible, so it doesn't happen often.

M.J. and her partner Gilley, a smirky and funny gay guy, work together to help their clients with their ghostly problems. Then a hunky doctor, both in M.J.'s and Gilley's opinion, comes to them and asks for their services in ridding his house of his grandfather's ghost but he also wants to know what happened to him, because he suspects murder. M.J. does not normally allow the cilents to come along because they just get in the way and make things complicated for her. So after arguing she finally complies and allows the doctor to come along.

The mystery itself was enticing as well. There are always so many leads as to who the murderer is and you start to make your guesses only to be blown away by the outcome!! I love it when that happens! The novel ends and sets up a small surprise for M.J., which I will not reveal! It all leads up to the next installment of the series, which I am dying to read!

The mystery has an edge, there are so many winding secrets that all get answered and the suspense that the book has with its mystery and the fact that there's ghosts involved makes this a helluva good read. I read it all in one freaking day with no real intention of doing so. So I highly recommend this book to any mystery lovers obivously, but to any sci-fi/fantasy lovers. Also there is only a small spark of romance involved, so there is no heavy breathing in this book which also makes it good. This is seriously a good book and promises to be a kick ass series.

3.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully, quirky team of ghost busters, January 15, 2008
M.J. Holliday moved to Boston with her childhood friend Gilley Gillespie when Gilley got a scholarship to MIT. M.J. is a psychic and Gilley runs the business and they're actual ghost busters. People call them in to rid their houses of the things that go bump in the night. Dr. Steven Sable wants to hire them to find out who killed his grandfather, though the police have called it a suicide, and he wants to be in on the investigation. MJ knows this means trouble -- when Gilley gets pushed down the stairs, there turns out to be more than one ghost, and an attempt is made on their lives -- well it looks like she's right. But the Doc is annoying but endearing and cute -- so what's a ghost busting woman to do?

Great literature? Probably not. Lots of fun to read? You betcha. There were parts where I just laughed out loud. MJ and Gilley have electrostatic meters, a digital night vision camera, voice activated recorders, laser trip wires, and other necessary ghost busting equipment -- and a sassy parrot. There's a lot of a wink and a nudge towards other books and movies in this ghost hunting/busting genre. There's also some great characters in MJ, Gilley, and Doc Sable -- who I hope will be in the next volume. And there's the mystery of who killed Steven's grandfather -- why and how.

The novel mainly takes place in the countryside far, far north of Boston but there is a nice country/small town feel to the narrative and the people that are the walk-on parts. The writing is straightforward and clean with a good sense of humor underlying it all. I occasionally got annoyed at the language errors made by Steven Sable but I've worked with non-native English speakers and they do have problems with idiomatic and slang expressions so I know it's a problem -- I guess I feel guilty about getting a kick out of it even though most of my friends appreciate being corrected and having the nuances of the terms explained.

All in all, a great story to cheer you up when you've had a bad day -- so you might want to save it for the rainy gray day but buy it so it's on hand for a needed laughter emergency.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Book, February 21, 2008
This is the first book I read by this author and I found it quite enjoyable. I enjoyed all of the characters, the ghost hunting was believable and I just pre-ordered the second book in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick and enjoyable..., July 8, 2009
I haven't ready the Abby Cooper series, so this was my first experience reading a novel by Ms. Laurie. I picked it up before a long plane ride to Vegas, and while it certainly has some problems, it's still a very enjoyable read.

The dialogue is quick, if stilted at times. The characters interact fairly well, (Gilley, MJ's partner, who is afraid of ghosts is hysterical at times!) even if they follow too close to stereotypes, and there are lots of technical details for ghost hunting enthusiasts to ground it in a sense of reality. Sure, the plot is predictable - but novels like this aren't meant to be complicated.

Sable's mangled English is charming at first, but I felt at times it was overplayed. It's the same problem with authors who write a phonetic accent, but rather than allow the reader to imagine it moving forward throughout the book, they continue to spell things incorrectly, ad nauseam.

It's an enjoyable escape, especially if you have a long plane ride to pass.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 510 | Next ›

What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mysteries, Book 1)
What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mysteries, Book 1) by Victoria Laurie (Hardcover - July 2007)
Used & New from: $0.01