What's the difference between over ear and on ear?
asked by Amazon Customer on December 18, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
Over ear surround the ear and are larger. They usually block sound a little better. On ear sit "on the ear" and tend to be smaller, with less sound isolation. I have glasses and I find on ear to be a little less comfortable than over ear
Salazar answered on December 18, 2012
Comment (1) | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
On ear headphone's sit on your ears with the band on the top of your head. Around-ear headphones have cups that go around your ears and the band on the top of your head.
DarenK answered on December 18, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I believe on ear headphones are smaller. Around ear completely covers your ears and hugs the sides of your face. On ear usually doesn't completely eat your ears up. Around ear would probably seal better for most people but tends to get hot more quickly than with on ear. Frankly I can't tell any difference in audio quality between good on ear and around ear headphones, as long as it fits correctly. I think it just comes down to fit and comfort, personal preferences.
Wasabi answered on December 19, 2012
Comment (1) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Over ear are bigger, they cover the ear completely. On ear headphones sit on the earlobes -- In my case on-ear headphones hurt after just a little while.
Shammah Chancellor answered on December 18, 2012
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
With over ear your headphones actually fit over your ears so the padding touches the area on your head around your ears. With on ear headphones the padding just rests on your ear without touching the side of your head.
poeticsynn answered on December 19, 2012
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Over the ear sit on the area around the ear, on the skull, whereas on the ear headphones rest on the ear's cartilage. I find over the ear headphones to be much more comfortable for long durations since there is a lot less pressure going against the ear.
Ahmad answered on December 19, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Over ear, complete covers the ear and lets out less sound. On ear, goes on-top of your ear.
TheIncredibleJM answered on December 18, 2012
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sometimes headphones are called "cans". Now, imagine you are putting an open can on you ear so your ear goes inside the can (don't forget to wash the can or your ear will smell fishy and all the cats in the neighborhood will hunt you :). This is "over ear". If, however, the can is not opened, your ear contacts with the flat surface of the closed can - that's "on ear"
Telsadel answered on December 18, 2012
Comment | 3 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Over ear or full sized headphones have a cup that goes over your ear.... And while bigger typically have better base..... I also find over ear to be more immersive blocking out more off the noise in the room
Amazon Customer answered on December 19, 2012
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product