Customer Discussions > The Scorpio Races forum

What's the "mature content" in Scorpio Races?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 24, 2012 8:11:06 PM PST
I just read on the Scholastic website that Scorpio Races has "mature content"--can anyone enlighten me about what that is? I need to know if it would be an appropriate book for someone who goes for clean books.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 1:04:36 PM PST
Leighbert says:
The really isn't any bad language or sexual activity in the book. The mature content would have to be the violence. This is a book about man-eating "water horses." The author is not overly descriptive of the violent acts but she doesn't shy away from them either. People and animals die and are injured on a pretty regular basis.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 11:14:36 AM PDT
I also had reservations about my 11 year old daughter reading this, so I read it first. I've got about 60 pages left to read right now. It's said "bastard" 3 times and cold as a witch's tit" 3 times. One male character taunts another by saying "Is she (Puck) as good a ride as Corr (his horse)?" There are a couple other sexual references, but they are so subtle that I think they will go right over my daughter's head. As the two main characters are beginning to develop feelings for each other, there's some stuff about "how warm his chest against her back feels, etc." But it is such a great book, otherwise!

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 7:50:02 PM PDT
Thanks for the specific details about the book. They're very helpful.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Scorpio Races forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jan 24, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Scorpio Races
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater (Hardcover - October 18, 2011)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (501)