What's the difference...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 24, 2007 3:57:29 PM PDT
Dubyac99 says:
between the collector's edition and the Criterion Collection

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2007 9:07:42 AM PST
A. Pinner says:
Did you ever find out the difference? I would like to know as well....
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2007 10:03:59 AM PST
Dubyac99 says:
No, nobody responded, and I never followed up. I think if you check IMDB.com maybe on the fourums there, somebody might make a comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2007 12:20:23 AM PST
Bill says:
From Wikipedia...

The first release was a 1998 Criterion edition which used supplemental material from the 1994 Criterion laserdisc release. It included an audio commentary track with Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer; a second audio commentary track with Rob Reiner, Karen Murphy, Robert Leighton and Kent Beyda; 79 minutes of deleted scenes; Spinal Tap: The Final Tour, the original twenty minute short they shot to pitch the film; a mock promo film, Cheese Rolling; a TV promo, Heavy Metal Memories; and a music video, Hell Hole. Sales of this edition were discontinued after only two years and the DVD has become a valuable collector's item. Much of this material had appeared on a 1994 CD-ROM by The Voyager Company that included the entire film in QuickTime format.

In 2000, MGM released a special edition with new supplemental material. It has a new audio commentary track with Guest, McKean and Shearer performing in character throughout, commenting on the film entirely in their fictional alter-egos, and often disapproving of how the film presents them; 70 minutes of deleted scenes (some of which were not on the Criterion DVD); a new short, Catching Up with Marty DiBergi; a shorter version of Cheese Rolling; the Heavy Metal Memories promo and six additional TV promos; music videos for Hell Hole, Gimme Some Money, Listen to the Flower People and Big Bottom; segments of Spinal Tap appearing on The Joe Franklin Show; and the theatrical trailer. The special features were produced by Automat Pictures.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2008 11:19:43 AM PDT
I just read a press release that states ALL commentaries will be on the blu-ray edition - both Criterion and the "in character" one from the special edition. Hope that's true.

Posted on Mar 3, 2009 12:51:25 PM PST
J. Maher says:
I hope it has all of the deleted scenes. I have a 4.5 hour bootleg of the movie on VHS so we know the footage exists.

Heck, they should just combine all the special features from both versions. Then we''ll all be happy. :)

Posted on Apr 6, 2009 3:56:08 PM PDT
Some will find this strange, but I'm a new convert to "This is Spinal Tap." How? Well, at nearly seventy years, I'd nearly missed the experience entirely, but last night, April 5, 2009, after watching my North Carolina Tar Heels beat Villanova, I switched over to TMC, I think, and "Best in Show" was playing, another movie I'd missed. Then the guy comes out and introduces "This is Spinal Tap." I decided to watch it, and for the next couple of hours I was laughing as hard as ever I had! Great stuff! I'm going to get the BluRay thingy when it comes out!

Posted on Jul 6, 2009 10:54:51 AM PDT
I didn't discover the movie until 2006/2007, and after watching it once, my reaction was "where has this movie been all my life?"
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Aug 24, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 6, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
This Is Spinal Tap (The Criterion Collection)
This Is Spinal Tap (The Criterion Collection) by Christopher Guest (DVD - 1998)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (714)