4,481 Reviews
 (2,948)

5,236 of 5,351 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Overweight? Diabetic? Got High Blood Pressure, Arthritis? Get this Book!
I've been following Dr. Davis' heart scan blog for the past year, and have learned so much about how certain supplements can stop and even reverse plaque, high blood pressure, arthritis, diabetes, and many other health problems. And he talked a lot about wheat, and the many ways it destroys your health. But I've been hesitant to go wheat free. I love warm bread with...
Published on September 2, 2011 by Robert Burton Robinson - Autho...

1,339 of 1,500 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag
I thought the author did a good job of implicating modern hybridized wheat products and government pushing of grain-based eating in the explosion of weight management problems for people in recent history. The story of how wheat was transformed into today's high-yield variety and the nutritional consequences of that was educational and particularly welcome for me because...
Published on October 5, 2011 by No Middle Name

5.0 out of 5 stars Why It's Not "Another Atkins" Book..., January 1, 2013
I've read lots of reviews on this book. There are a lot of people who complain that this is a re-packaged version of Atkins, or that it's another low-carb diet plan book. That's not the case at all. Here's why: This book gives the scientific FACTS behind why we should give up wheat. It's not saying, "YOU'LL LOSE WEIGHT IF YOU GIVE UP CARBS AND START EATING LOTS OF MEAT!!!" and leaving it at that. This book gives you the facts (most of them, not all) about how our bodies process modern wheat. It gives more evidence to back up why cutting out sugar, other grains, and some other high-glycemic foods is also a good idea. There are more backed-by-science facts in this book than you will see in most other books, including The China Study. The information in Wheat Belly may not be absolutely complete (that would take volumes), but it gives you what you need to know to continue further research.

I really liked this book. Although I read the Kindle version, it was a real "page-turner" for me. I couldn't wait to find out what his conclusions were at the end, and see his recommendations. I couldn't stop reading it. I will admit that some of the science was a bit over my head- and I skimmed over some of the more hard-core science facts that didn't pertain to my situation (such as the big section on Celiac). But there were a lot of modern references (some funny) as well as historical evidence to keep me reading it. I had planned to just read a little bit here and there while I read my fiction books as my mainstay, but I ended up pouring over this book until it was finished.

Do I take this book for gospel? Nah. No. It was written by a human, and based on human research. To err is human. I'm sure there are errors in this book.

But you know what? I've given up grains, and I've given up sugar. And unlike my past "Atkins Diet", I don't feel like I'm on a diet for losing weight anymore. I now feel that wheat really IS something that SHOULD be given up. There are so many facts to back that up. And I feel GOOD now. I haven't felt this good in a long time. I'm still on a weight-loss journey, but I'm certainly not on a "diet". I feel too good eating this way to ever want to feel sluggish and foggy like I did while eating wheat and other grains. Now, if I eat bread, I get the most uncomfortable cramps imaginable.

Here's the deal. I've been vegetarian. I've been vegan. I've been on Atkins. I've been on Weight Watchers. I have NEVER felt as good as I do when I give up the sugar and the grains. I miss pizza, spaghetti, sandwiches- those are the foods I used to love. Cake, candy, pie? Yep, I miss them. But I only MENTALLY miss them now. I no longer crave them. I never feel hungry anymore. I don't ever really NEED to eat, I just eat to fuel my body. And as a recovering sugar/carb addict, that is saying a LOT. I've wasted 35 years of my life feeling crappy. This book has given me a fresh start- and a stubbornness to stick with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, well written, well researched, October 10, 2011
There are others who have done a thorough review of this book, so I'll not repeat them. Suffice to say, that with all the volumes of scientific research that has been written regarding nutrition & grains, Dr. Davis does an admirable job of succinctly and with good humour - presenting the data and his clinical observations. If you would like futher validation on the dangers of wheat/gluten grains - "Celiac Disease, the Hidden Epidemic" by Green & Jones", might be helpful.

That our most cherished food is also ONE of the primary causes of ALL of our modern diseases may be distressing to many... the scientific evidence exists and is well worth your attention. ALL modern diseases (cardiovascular, metabolic/diabetic/hormonal, cancers, automimmune) are strongly related to systemic inflammation. The "cause" of that inflammation has been elusive. Probably due to the "wild goose chase" that we've been on due to the ever popular "fad" notion that "fat" particularly "saturated fat" is bad for us. Unfortunately, the healthy saturated animal or plant fat was probably the one thing that was protecting our systems from the onslaught of increasing grains, legumes and carbohydrates in our diet. Now, I do not make these statements base on any belief system... this issue of nutrition is mulitfactoral and metabolically rather complex. That means don't throw rocks until you've done your homework .... if you found Dr. Davis' work "DISTURBING", "THOUGHT PROVOKING", 'WORRISOME" OR "REALLY EXCITING" .... if you really are interested in being healthy, eating healthy or just proving him (or me) wrong - there's a few more books to read, before you've any base from which to criticize: the "short list" of recommended reading- "The Perfect Health Diet", by the Jaminets; "Deep Nutrition" by Shanahan, MD; "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Gedguadas; 'Why We Get Fat" or "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Taubes AND "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith. Additionally - These concepts of "Paleo', "low carb","indigenous/primitive" nutrition are now represented in the terms "ancestral" or "evolutionary" health, diet, medicine - as the first annual symposium which occurred Aug. 2011 and the presentations can be found on [...] and provide much "food for thought". Dr. Davis is in the company of some great writers/researchers.

As a clinical physiologist, who has worked in the field of chronic disease management my entire career (30 yrs of cardiac, pulmonary & diabetic)- I have watched my most compliant & fit patients fail on the low fat/high carb & grain diet, exercise until you drop routine. Like Dr. Davis, I now follow and support following a wheat free/grain & legume free diet. Until you remove these foods completely, for 4-6 wks, you really won't know if you are sensitive. While weight loss seems to be the most important thing to most folks - excess fat storage is simply a symptom of inflammation and insulin/glucose dysfunction that leads to diabetes or heart disease or cancer or auto immune disorders. However, you do not need to be obese to have those problems. I am and have always been fit (previous competitive athlete) and thin (BMI 20) and always ate organic whole foods, high grain/legume diet but that did not protect me from insulin/glucose dysfunction or overt inflammation (fibromyalgia). Getting off all grains & beans and limiting my carbs to 200 kcals/day has worked beautifully for 2 years. Yes, low carbohydrate - the issues in systemic inflammation are directly related to an interplay of nutritional factors. In reality, it is the rare Homo sapiens (probably in the range of 20% of the total world population) that can "thrive" on high carb and grains. We can survive but the current health status is quite indicative of the lack of tolerance.

As for staying on the nutritional program - all I can say is - It's the most pleasurable way to eat that I have ever followed...but I also adhere to the concepts that healthy saturated fat is GOOD! So, lots of ribeye, pork chops, cheese, butter & cheese cake (no crust) and vegetable (cooked in butter) AND fermented foods (kimchee, live yogurt). Oh yeah, even though I was thin, I had a bit of a spare tire, despite lots of good exercise - that's gone too. And, I exercise less now than before.

If you truly are interested in eating nutritionally healthy for our species (ie your health) and actually want to learn something beyond your belief system then this book is only one of several "must read" but it is one of the most important ones because it uncovers the truly destructive nature of one of our most hallowed foods. This is NO FAD - there are those of us who have spent our personal and professional lives in scientific & clinical research/study to discover that which can stop, reverse and prevent the riduculous "diseases" of modern civilization - the answers are right here, right now. Dr. Davis' work is an important part of that scientific/clincal research coming to light - ignore it at the risk of your own health. VIVE VIDA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another MD here who agrees 100% with Dr. Davis, February 15, 2012
T. N. "Seattle" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I am a primary care physician and I successfully treat diabetes and other obesity-related illnesses every single day with the sort of wheat-free low-carb advice that Dr. Davis gives here in this excellent book. I started recommending this about 15 years ago and have seen countless patients "cure" their diabetes and stop diabetes medications with this sort of dietary modification. Thanks Dr. Davis for such a well-written book, I recommend it to people all the time!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good resource to assist in the why's of wheat-free eating, September 27, 2011
This isn't a diet book...it doesn't contain pages of meal plans and shopping lists, exercises, or day-to-day schedules. It's a book that covers both scientific research and the author's (a cardiologist) anecdotal observations about a diet containing wheat. Much of it discusses the affects of wheat on the body for anyone, not just celiacs, in great detail. He offers suggestions to work around wheat, but it is not a complete source if you're looking for a do-it-yourself lifestyle of wheat-free eating. I've read Dr. Davis's blog for years and watched how he has gone from 'what's this thing that wheat's doing to everyone' to 'wheat is a bad thing for the modern man to ingest', and it has been enlightening and educational. His book is also. I had hoped it would have more lifestyle examples of how to substitute wheat and grains meals, and more easy-to-make recipes, but it is still a worthwhile read. He gets a little out there in medical terminology at times, but it is still understandable. I highly recommend in addition to this book that the reader locate an online forum such as LowCarbFriends or some other discussion group for recipe resources and support if one is thinking about taking wheat out of their diet. I am convinced Dr. Davis's hunch is correct - that wheat is not good for us - because of my own experiences in eating it and not eating it. I encourage everyone who struggles with their weight and/or blood sugar to take charge of their own nutrition (don't leave your health to the USDA) and try this.

5.0 out of 5 stars I haven't felt this good in 20 years!, December 18, 2011
My endocrinologist told me I needed to go gluten free because of my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I have been suffering from fatigue, weight gain despite eating "healthy" and exercising, sore joints and most recently significant hair loss. Fortunately I am a woman with an abundance of hair, but it was started to get scary which prompted the Doctor appointment. She didn't give me any reasoning or any direction for becoming gluten-free, but she did mention that I should see or feel a result in probably a month, so I thought that seemed a reasonable thing to try. I went straight to the book store and "Wheat Belly" was the first book I found that referenced gluten-free. I read all of it the first night. The author is entertaining, and makes something as dry and boring as the history of wheat actually entertaining as well as mind-boggling. You will be shocked many times while reading this book....and then you will feel really hopeful that you can actually have significant change in your life. Gluten free is so much more about switching foods around vs. denying yourself food. I have been doing it for a week and a half and I feel amazing. I lost five pounds without ever being hungry. My mind is clearer than it has been since I was in my early 30's. I have energy that I haven't felt in two decades. I come home from a long day and want to clean out a cupboard instead of crashing on the couch with whatever is easy for dinner. I don't even know what happened on "The X Factor" this week and I don't care! Ha! I've been busy doing other things that are productive and making me feel in control of my life again. It is truly a miracle, and doesn't involve any drugs, loads of exercise or starvation. I've recommended this book and eating plan to many friends and family members, and they have all started eating gluten free as well. My best friend with MS called me a few days ago crying because she hasn't felt this good in years! My grandson, who is only 18 months old and weighs 21 pounds has been gaining weight, feeling happy and actually had a 3 hour nap yesterday and woke up happy instead of his regular 30 minute nap followed by screaming. This appears to be life changing, and I'm so happy to have stumbled on it. I recommend it to anyone who doesn't feel like they have perfect health. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most sensible diet ever, November 5, 2011
The book is extremely enlightening. It is also very well researched and referenced. I checked out a very large number of the references, but then finally stopped doing that because I got the same result everytime; the references are all valid. The last 1/8" of the book is references.

You'll find out after reading the book (and checking on the references for yourself) that wheat-free living is very "counter-intuitive" in our culture. The government and mega-business have convinced us that wheat (especially whole-grain wheat) is necessary and healthy. This is so very wrong. Nearly criminal.

Wheat (and a diet that includes other whole-grains) is just the opposite of healthy. Wheat products produce huge blood sugar spikes that lead to everything from diabetes to heart disease.

Enough preaching,... read the book and find out all this stuff for yourself.

I started the wheat-free system in early October 2011. It is a month later, and I am enjoying these benefits so far:
-- the headaches I have endured for decades (several per week) are GONE!!
-- more energy
-- easier to fall asleep,.. no more melatonin, no more "sleeping aids," just put head on pillow, close eyes, wake up later
-- losing about a pound per week (I started at 211. I am 6'3")
-- joint pain is decreasing, (I am 64)
-- appetite has lessened; no more cravings or constant self-discipline required to avoid snacking
-- get full sooner; gorging myself just doesn't happen anymore (Golden Corral loves me now)

Please don't ever take this book away from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFE CHANGING - READ THIS BOOK, April 18, 2012
The information in this book has been life changing for me. I had no idea wheat could detrimentally affect my health. I always thought whole grain wheat was healthy. I now know this is not the case. By eliminating wheat from my diet, I have finally found the cure for my health problems. I have had Fibromyalgia and arthritis for 22 years and have tried many things to help relieve the horrible pain I was in (prescriptions, homeopathy, health clinic, going off sugar for nine months). The anti-inflammatory and pain pills helped to mask some of the pain, but it didn't remove it completely. Now after eating wheat-free and low carb/high fat for two months, I can stand up and walk without pain. My chronic headaches are gone (unless I eat something with wheat in it). I no longer have acid reflux, which prior to going wheat-free was so severe that I had to sleep in a chair. I had so much scar tissue in my esophagus from the acid reflux that I had to have four surgical procedures to break up the scar tissue so I could swallow. I was on the highest dose of Prilosec. I also had irritable bowel syndrome with severe cramping and diarrhea. Now, the IBS is completely gone. Along with Fibromyalgia I also suffered with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Prior to going off wheat, I couldn't do much because of the pain and fatigue. Now I have energy and feel great. The brain fog has lifted and I can now think clearer. I have lost 33 lbs.; and although I'm happy to finally lose some weight, I am even more excited about my improved health. I did have some withdrawal symptoms during the first two weeks. My first really good day was about 10 days into the diet (I had energy, no pain and could think clearer - it was such a huge difference and my husband and kids were so excited for me); and then after three weeks I consistently had good days. I think the acid reflux got better right away, but I can't remember which day I noticed it was gone. This is the best I've felt in 25 years. I'm so grateful to finally discover the key to solving all of my health problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars worked for me, November 23, 2011
Just got my latest lab results this morning, and for the first time in my life I'm close to reaching Dr. Davis's Track Your Plaque targets of 60/60/60 (LDL/HDL/triglycerides). Especially gratifying was my LDL, 62 mg/dL, down from 99 just three months ago and 197 not long ago. Does Wheat Belly get all the credit? Of course not. The rest of Dr. Davis's TYP program (which I discovered only about a year ago) was essential too. But as a long-time follower of the Pritikin diet, a low fat diet that slowly made me sick and exacerbated bad heredity, I was delighted finally to achieve healthy lipids (cholesterol levels) while enjoying full-fat yogurt and many other delicious foods full of healthy fats and proteins that I limited or denied myself for years. Not eating wheat, on the other hand, I find ridiculously easy. It just means avoiding processed foods, and wheat is only one of many reasons to avoid them.

About some of the few negative posts here about Wheat Belly: (1) Dr. Davis's followers are a cult? He doesn't tolerate criticism or questions? Nonsense. There are heated differences of opinion at Track Your Plaque forums over the best strategies to beat heart disease. Some participants get angry and personal with each other, but never Dr. Davis, always a model of calm and reason. (2) Dr. Davis makes money from his books and website? Duh? Everyone seeks to make money. Question is, is the product worth the price? I imagine Dr. Davis would make far more money by advising patients to keep eating healthy whole grains, then doing costly procedures when their coronary arteries clog. As Dr. Davis has written, "Hospitals are in the business of heart disease. You are in the business of prevention." For expert help in a prevention program that really works, the modest cost of Wheat Belly or the Track Your Plaque website represents one of the best bargains in healthcare.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not a diet book, March 21, 2012
I started eliminating wheat and wheat products just a few weeks ago while reading this book. Yes there are a few recipes and suggestions about what food to avoid - fruit is not one of them - there are many good fruits to enjoy, especially berries. I do know this - since I eliminated wheat, I have also eliminated much of the joint pain I had - especially in the morning (I'm 64) - I used to pop 2 Advil first thing out of bed - not any more. This is a great book - pretty technical in places, but there are a lot of anecdotes and humor to break it up. Yes, I have lost 5-6 lbs, but more than that, I feel 10 years younger already. It made a lot of sense to me - read it and judge for yourself. Like the good Doctor says - all you have to lose is your wheat belly!

Update 5/28/12: Been on the no wheat for almost 3 months - down 24 lbs as of today - shedding about 2/lb per week. This works and I'm never hungry.

Update 8/17/12: Still with the program - no problem at all - in fact, having a few glasses of wine each night and still dropping weight - about 1 lb+ per week - total of about 35 lb so far.

Update 6/16/13: Since starting wheat, starch & sugar elimination in March 2012, I have lost about 55lb and now it's almost second nature - I don't even think about refined carbs of any kind. The amount of energy I have now has increased tremendously. I have found that you will never gain weight with this lifestyle - you may level off for a while, but ultimately you will continue to gradually lose weight. Weighed in at 183 the other day - down from 238 - would like to get to about 175 (at 5'11").

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm my own science experiment!, November 3, 2011
I absolutely loved this book, and it only added to my resolve to get wheat OUT of my life. Our family has had 2 children with autism-type symptoms; and I and other family members by mid-40s have had high cholesterol and high triglycerides and C-reactive protein, and an assortment of other diseases such as IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), anxiety, arthritis pain, heartburn to the point we had to take medication every day, acne, it goes on and on. But NO traditional physician has ever told us that we should try avoiding wheat, even for a trial. Until recently. I was tested and found gluten intolerant a year ago (although I already knew I was). The result of going OFF wheat in 2011, at age 59, are:
1. No more heartburn. Ever. No need to take the harmful heartburn medications I couldn't live without before.
2. Clearer skin.
3. Elimination of "ruddy" complexion my doctor called "rosacea" (and his medication treatment never did work)
3. My cholesterol has dropped from 249 to 194 with no medication. In just a few months!
4. Triglycerides under 100
5. Low C reactive protein of .8
6. Less arthritis aches and pains
7. Reduction of anxiety and no more irritable bowel syndrome

Incidentally, the result of greatly reducing rice and other "non-gluten" grains over the last 3 months, substituting protein shakes containing greens, avocado, kale; and frequent roasted veggies; plenty of chicken and yes beef:
1. Loss of noticeable belly-fat and much easier weight loss
2. Far less cravings
3. Further clearing of my skin
4. Silkier hair
5. Improved mood
6. Noticeable reduction of arthritis pain
7. Further reduction in total cholesterol to 181 with no medication.
8. Clear thinking and memory improvement

The food and pharma industries have had their "profit-motivated" way long enough! Americans, stop buying those foods that do nothing helpful and actually HARM you (including whole wheat) by causing inflammation, poor lipids, and obesity! And see if you can get off the statins, antacids, anti-anxiety medications, and possibly even your anti-depressants. Give yourself a chance to learn the benefits of living wheat-free by running your own science experiment!

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
$29.95 $21.95
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.