3,676 Reviews
 (2,415)

4,863 of 4,966 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Overweight? Diabetic? Got High Blood Pressure, Arthritis? Get this Book!
I've been following Dr. Davis' heart scan blog for the past year, and have learned so much about how certain supplements can stop and even reverse plaque, high blood pressure, arthritis, diabetes, and many other health problems. And he talked a lot about wheat, and the many ways it destroys your health. But I've been hesitant to go wheat free. I love warm bread with...
Published on September 2, 2011 by Robert Burton Robinson - Autho...

1,257 of 1,406 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag
I thought the author did a good job of implicating modern hybridized wheat products and government pushing of grain-based eating in the explosion of weight management problems for people in recent history. The story of how wheat was transformed into today's high-yield variety and the nutritional consequences of that was educational and particularly welcome for me because...
Published on October 5, 2011 by No Middle Name

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe a true path back to good health, September 18, 2011
This review is from: Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was sent the book Wheat Belly by Amazon Vine for review. Here's my take on it.

For the past year I've been following a number of doctors, health gurus and others who advocate eliminating from one's diet refined carbs, and in particular, white flour and sugar. I've followed much of this advice with moderate success, so finding Wheat Belly with a cardiologist's recommendations and results, seemed fortuitous since I'd been heading that way for some time.

On the flyleaf of Dr. Davis' book is the following: "A provocative look at how eliminating wheat from our diets can help us lose weight, shrink unsightly bulges, and reverse a broad spectrum of health problems." Wow! Strong words, but does it work?

Apparently so, because the author tells in detail how he and many of his patients not only lost weight but reversed or eliminated many diseases simply by eliminating wheat. Sounds drastic, but interestingly enough, many of our favorite foods aren't the wheat but what we put on the wheat. I know I love artisan breads, but what I mainly love is that they're a way to convey gobs of tasty butter to my lips. Ditto chips and pita crackers. I'm eating them for the dip, not for the cracker. So, if I can find a way to enjoy butter, sauces, cheese and dips while losing weight, improving my cholesterol levels, eliminating diabetes, celiac disease and a host of other nasties, will I really miss bread and pasta? I think not. This is what Dr. Davis' book is about, and it he shows how the dwarf, high-yield wheat of today is vastly different from the grains consumed by the Sumerians and, yes, even our great-grandparents. In other words, the einkorn and emmer grains of yesteryear were scrapped for genetically modified high-yield grains for profitability. Of course, nutritionists of the latter twentieth century were no help suggesting that we eat a diet consisting of large amounts of whole grain. In doing this, we've become fatter and fatter, particularly with the visceral fat that makes us apple shaped and prone to heart disease, cancer, diabetes and even premature aging.

Wheat Belly offers several recipes in the last third of the book, along with many references. While the recipes are different, many using ground nuts and/or flax seeds to replace flour, all look very tasty.

I decided to take the pledge and go wheat free for three months, so I'll be checking in to update my progress as I go. I'm looking forward to weight loss and relief from the pain of osteoarthritis. The idea of combating these problem through diet rather than drugs is very appealing.

Update 1: I've been wheat free for one week. Surprisingly, it hasn't been hard to find substitutes (example: corn flake crumbs instead of Panko for breading fish and chicken, and I spotted a wheat free/gluten free "shake and bake" type mix at my local natural food store. Diamond Nut Thins are wheat and gluten free and are wonderful for cheese spread or hummus.) My week one results: down two pounds and no feelings of deprivation. Lots more energy and sleeping better at night.

Update 2: Second wheat-free week, this coming after a bone density test confirming osteoporosis in lumbar region. I remembered reading about this in Wheat Belly, so re-read to check and learned that eliminating wheat from diet helps to keep the body more alkaline, thus slowing or eliminating calcium loss. Just one more reason to go wheat free. Weight loss was minimal, but the belly is shrinking. My everyday jeans can actually be pulled off without unbuttoning them. Yay! New products to check out: Rudi's Gluten Free bread in many natural food stores. I prefer the cinnamon raisin type for morning toast. Absolutely wheat free and delicious. Also, there's a baking book available: Annalise G. Roberts Gluten-Free Baking Classics. Today I'll be shopping for fine brown rice flour and potato starch to make some of these goodies.

Final update: I've been following a wheat-free eating plan since receiving the book and can say that it definitely works. Since September 18th (one month ago), I've lost six pounds and five inches from my waist without doing anything other than avoid wheat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, well written, well researched, October 10, 2011
There are others who have done a thorough review of this book, so I'll not repeat them. Suffice to say, that with all the volumes of scientific research that has been written regarding nutrition & grains, Dr. Davis does an admirable job of succinctly and with good humour - presenting the data and his clinical observations. If you would like futher validation on the dangers of wheat/gluten grains - "Celiac Disease, the Hidden Epidemic" by Green & Jones", might be helpful.

That our most cherished food is also ONE of the primary causes of ALL of our modern diseases may be distressing to many... the scientific evidence exists and is well worth your attention. ALL modern diseases (cardiovascular, metabolic/diabetic/hormonal, cancers, automimmune) are strongly related to systemic inflammation. The "cause" of that inflammation has been elusive. Probably due to the "wild goose chase" that we've been on due to the ever popular "fad" notion that "fat" particularly "saturated fat" is bad for us. Unfortunately, the healthy saturated animal or plant fat was probably the one thing that was protecting our systems from the onslaught of increasing grains, legumes and carbohydrates in our diet. Now, I do not make these statements base on any belief system... this issue of nutrition is mulitfactoral and metabolically rather complex. That means don't throw rocks until you've done your homework .... if you found Dr. Davis' work "DISTURBING", "THOUGHT PROVOKING", 'WORRISOME" OR "REALLY EXCITING" .... if you really are interested in being healthy, eating healthy or just proving him (or me) wrong - there's a few more books to read, before you've any base from which to criticize: the "short list" of recommended reading- "The Perfect Health Diet", by the Jaminets; "Deep Nutrition" by Shanahan, MD; "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Gedguadas; 'Why We Get Fat" or "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Taubes AND "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith. Additionally - These concepts of "Paleo', "low carb","indigenous/primitive" nutrition are now represented in the terms "ancestral" or "evolutionary" health, diet, medicine - as the first annual symposium which occurred Aug. 2011 and the presentations can be found on [...] and provide much "food for thought". Dr. Davis is in the company of some great writers/researchers.

As a clinical physiologist, who has worked in the field of chronic disease management my entire career (30 yrs of cardiac, pulmonary & diabetic)- I have watched my most compliant & fit patients fail on the low fat/high carb & grain diet, exercise until you drop routine. Like Dr. Davis, I now follow and support following a wheat free/grain & legume free diet. Until you remove these foods completely, for 4-6 wks, you really won't know if you are sensitive. While weight loss seems to be the most important thing to most folks - excess fat storage is simply a symptom of inflammation and insulin/glucose dysfunction that leads to diabetes or heart disease or cancer or auto immune disorders. However, you do not need to be obese to have those problems. I am and have always been fit (previous competitive athlete) and thin (BMI 20) and always ate organic whole foods, high grain/legume diet but that did not protect me from insulin/glucose dysfunction or overt inflammation (fibromyalgia). Getting off all grains & beans and limiting my carbs to 200 kcals/day has worked beautifully for 2 years. Yes, low carbohydrate - the issues in systemic inflammation are directly related to an interplay of nutritional factors. In reality, it is the rare Homo sapiens (probably in the range of 20% of the total world population) that can "thrive" on high carb and grains. We can survive but the current health status is quite indicative of the lack of tolerance.

As for staying on the nutritional program - all I can say is - It's the most pleasurable way to eat that I have ever followed...but I also adhere to the concepts that healthy saturated fat is GOOD! So, lots of ribeye, pork chops, cheese, butter & cheese cake (no crust) and vegetable (cooked in butter) AND fermented foods (kimchee, live yogurt). Oh yeah, even though I was thin, I had a bit of a spare tire, despite lots of good exercise - that's gone too. And, I exercise less now than before.

If you truly are interested in eating nutritionally healthy for our species (ie your health) and actually want to learn something beyond your belief system then this book is only one of several "must read" but it is one of the most important ones because it uncovers the truly destructive nature of one of our most hallowed foods. This is NO FAD - there are those of us who have spent our personal and professional lives in scientific & clinical research/study to discover that which can stop, reverse and prevent the riduculous "diseases" of modern civilization - the answers are right here, right now. Dr. Davis' work is an important part of that scientific/clincal research coming to light - ignore it at the risk of your own health. VIVE VIDA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Bellied and OverFat? Read THIS--and avoid wheat/gluten! I've benefited greatly--and left Metabolic Syndrome behind..., August 31, 2011
Mir (North Miami Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
~~Definition of "wheat belly": the accumulation of fat that results from years of consuming foods that trigger insulin, the hormone of fat storage.~~~

After reading Dr. Davis' blog for most of this year, I couldn't wait to get his book. I NOOKed it last night. (I had already bought the Woman's World magazine with an article featuring it.) And I recommend trying WHEAT FREE eating to anyone with weight issues. Especially y'all with insulin-resistance/diabetes/allergies/autoimmune/bathroom issues. I really do.

In WHEAT BELLY, Dr. Davis , a cardiologist, asks you to look at family albums and look at granny and grandpa and see how many were obese. I didn't have to. I already had done this exercise when I was getting serious about losing weight. My immigrant father and siblings didn't suffer from obesity--but I'm way younger...the "change of life" baby who grew up in THIS country with this nation's sugary/wheaty foods. My mom only in later life when she got ill and less active, then she lost it again. I and subsequent generations of my family: rampant obesity. A gathering of family means you better have sturdy chairs and roomy doorways. We're a huge lot. What does your family look like, then and now? Got a "wheat belly"?

I remember being young and going places and rarely seeing morbidly obese or really obese folks. In school, the heavy kid was the rarity--yeah, often picked on because "different". Lots of fat teens now, right? Obesity is common now, right? And I was one of the big folks at 300 lbs. Not obese anymore. Just overweight--and working on it still.

I've lost 117 pounds. I began last year by moderating carbs--which included giving up almost all bread products and decreasing pasta use-- and this year moved into ditching all grains other than rice (after reading some Paleo/Primal works, some low carb authors, and the Jaminets' Perfect Health diet). I don't do any diet perfectly, but this year, eliminating wheat/gluten has been a great,great help. I noticed a difference in energy level.

My asthma and allergies began to improve (and they are so bad, I've had steroid treatments since I was a child and have never been OFF drugs for them, EVER, and I'm middle-aged). My eczema improved and I can wear much lighter makeup (less camouflage needed). My weight came off easier, without wild appetite or undue hunger. I felt..food calm. This was a novel feeling after 2+ decades of overeating/binge-eating obesity. My HDL skyrocketed. My triglycerides fell to the floor. My mood is great (and I have a lifelong history of depression). Reflux is gone. Acne is almost completely clear.

It sounds nuts. Too good to be true.

Whatever. Try before you deny. :D

As someone who grew a huge "wheat belly" and tried all sorts of diet plans without success, success meaning feeling great and getting out of obesity--I tried raw vegan and ovo-lacto-vegetarian and packaged-low-carb and delivery low-fat meals and WW and Nutrisystem, south Beach, etc. It was when I ditched the grains (except rice)that something happened. I felt food zen. When the wheat was gone, gone, that's when I benefited most and felt really reborn. My hubby, who is doing no wheat/gluten too, just can't keep weight on; seriously, since he ditched wheat/gluten he has to eat 6 times a day or gets UNDERWEIGHT, and he had weeks of losing 5 or more pounds while eating a lot of steak, chicken, pork, fruit, vegetables, dark chocolate. I finally had to add potatoes and rice in larger portions and Larabars to get him to NOT turn into a skeleton--I tell you that if you have weight problems and bad cholesterol numbers (especially HDL and triglycerides and the small-density LDL), please try Dr. Davis' plan. It might save your heart/pancreas/liver/joints/intestines..life.

So, what's in the book?

He tells us--in layperson accessible language, from the perspective of someone who grew his own "wheat belly" and ruined his lipid profile and raised his blood sugar to dangerous highs-- about one of the most common foods we (you) eat. In bread, wraps, pasta, processed snacks, breakfast cereals, soups, it's EVERYWHERE. "Modern wheat is no more real wheat than a chimpanzee is an approximation of a human," he says. "I will make the case that the world's most popular grain is also the world's most destructive dietary ingredient." He speaks of its perilous glycemic index and its addictive properties.

He goes into the history of wheat and how in the last 50 years, it's been modified to become a dangerous food. "Small changes in wheat protein structure can spell the difference between devastating immune response to wheat protein versus no immune response at all." You'll learn about original wheats, their natural changes/evolution, then our manipulations. Our aims may have been "admirable" --increase yields, end hunger--but good intentions can end up with some unexpectedly bad results.

Dr. Davis experimented ON HIMSELF with the ancient train of wheat (einkorn) and modern wheat. He noted a big difference in glucose meter results and physical symptoms. Old wheat ain't new wheat. We messed up a "good" grain.

He explains why, whether WHOLE or REFINED, this "supercarbohydrate" is not good for you. Period. And especially if you don't want your appetite stimulated .

He discusses the addictive effect of wheat. Studies on schizophrenics/autistic and wheat. Intestinal permeability trigged by wheat (if you have autoimmune issues, be informed about this).

Read about the night-eater patient whose appetite normalized and weight dropped without wheat. (I found this to be true here in my home. I was a night binge-er. No more.)

He discusses celiac disease and how it affects more people now (int he era of dwarf wheat) than in mid 20th century (sans dwarf wheat). And he covers why gluten-free substitute foods are not a good idea for the overweight/obese. Don't miss the case study of "Wendy"--who almost got her innards cut out. Fascinating stuff in that one. Every part of the body MAY be affected by gluten. It's also in products you may not realize: lipstick, toothpaste, gum, etc.

He has a chapter on insulin resistance/diabetes. We've got an epidemic of that, making this highly pertinent info. He dicusses lowering carbohydrates in the diet, and its quickly-evident benefits for the I.R./Diabetic.

He looks at the pH disruption brought on by wheat; on its effect on joints. "Jason's" story, in particular, stood out for me. He also covers the aging process: yep, wheat ages you faster!

He also covers wheat and heart disease and other diseases (including hair loss).

Dr. Davis offers a "how to eat" section, of course. "There is no rehabilitation, only elimination." As I learned from the Paleo/Primal crowd, you can eliminate wheat/gluten/grains, fill that void with great, real, healthful foods, and not suffer any downside. You don't need grains: period. You don't need wheat. You want it, maybe addicted to it, but don't NEED it. And I will bear out that fasting is easier sans wheat in the diet. I had a hard time in the past doing it--the wild cravings. I routinely intermittently fast these days. :D

Dr. Davis tried his diet on his patients, with remarkable results where conditions of assorted types resolved or improved within 3 months. Reintroduce wheat--symptoms begin to return. (I found out the hard way I'm one of those. My right hand joints are the first to swell after ingesting some wheat flour.)

I'll leave it to the pros-- doctors and researchers and scientist--to look at his case and see if it holds. It makes sense to me.

Read the book and decide yourself. Or just TRY THE DANG wheat-free eating and see how your body responds. It's not an onerous way to eat. To me, that's the best test of all--give it a trial. Then see: Do you lose weight? Do you feel less hungry, with a manageable appetite? Can you eat MORE healthful foods and feel totally satisfied and NOT get fat? Does your energy go up? Do your "wheat belly"-related conditions improve or resolve? Does skin look better and your waist get smaller? Is your mood lighter? How's the mental clarity?

My high blood pressure and prediabetes are resolved. Obesity gone. I can touch my head to my knees again. This year. Sans wheat/gluten. Hubby a desk-sitting software architect, fits into his college clothes--from back when he was an 18 year-old athletic dude. He no longer falls asleep on the couch after coming home from work. He's got his vim and vigor back! For that matter, I don't fall asleep on the couch anymore--and that was a common occurrence. Post-meal sleepies. No more o' dat!

What would an anti-wheat-belly diet be? This: Eliminate wheat--radically and completely-- lower carbohydrates, increase real food(not processed junk foods), meaning eat freely from vegetables, eat some fruit, use healthful oils without fear, eat raw nuts and seeds without guilt, eat eggs and meat without shame, but cook them in lower heats/shorter time, enjoy cheese. Of course, he gives a lot of other and deeper pointers, but that's the gist. (And it reminds me to wean off the date-dried-fruit based energy bars I've let slide into my diet. Tasty, but do I need the glucose-rise/AGEs?)

It works. Try it. Give it a month or two. Assess.

And be well...

5.0 out of 5 stars Why It's Not "Another Atkins" Book..., January 1, 2013
I've read lots of reviews on this book. There are a lot of people who complain that this is a re-packaged version of Atkins, or that it's another low-carb diet plan book. That's not the case at all. Here's why: This book gives the scientific FACTS behind why we should give up wheat. It's not saying, "YOU'LL LOSE WEIGHT IF YOU GIVE UP CARBS AND START EATING LOTS OF MEAT!!!" and leaving it at that. This book gives you the facts (most of them, not all) about how our bodies process modern wheat. It gives more evidence to back up why cutting out sugar, other grains, and some other high-glycemic foods is also a good idea. There are more backed-by-science facts in this book than you will see in most other books, including The China Study. The information in Wheat Belly may not be absolutely complete (that would take volumes), but it gives you what you need to know to continue further research.

I really liked this book. Although I read the Kindle version, it was a real "page-turner" for me. I couldn't wait to find out what his conclusions were at the end, and see his recommendations. I couldn't stop reading it. I will admit that some of the science was a bit over my head- and I skimmed over some of the more hard-core science facts that didn't pertain to my situation (such as the big section on Celiac). But there were a lot of modern references (some funny) as well as historical evidence to keep me reading it. I had planned to just read a little bit here and there while I read my fiction books as my mainstay, but I ended up pouring over this book until it was finished.

Do I take this book for gospel? Nah. No. It was written by a human, and based on human research. To err is human. I'm sure there are errors in this book.

But you know what? I've given up grains, and I've given up sugar. And unlike my past "Atkins Diet", I don't feel like I'm on a diet for losing weight anymore. I now feel that wheat really IS something that SHOULD be given up. There are so many facts to back that up. And I feel GOOD now. I haven't felt this good in a long time. I'm still on a weight-loss journey, but I'm certainly not on a "diet". I feel too good eating this way to ever want to feel sluggish and foggy like I did while eating wheat and other grains. Now, if I eat bread, I get the most uncomfortable cramps imaginable.

Here's the deal. I've been vegetarian. I've been vegan. I've been on Atkins. I've been on Weight Watchers. I have NEVER felt as good as I do when I give up the sugar and the grains. I miss pizza, spaghetti, sandwiches- those are the foods I used to love. Cake, candy, pie? Yep, I miss them. But I only MENTALLY miss them now. I no longer crave them. I never feel hungry anymore. I don't ever really NEED to eat, I just eat to fuel my body. And as a recovering sugar/carb addict, that is saying a LOT. I've wasted 35 years of my life feeling crappy. This book has given me a fresh start- and a stubbornness to stick with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another MD here who agrees 100% with Dr. Davis, February 15, 2012
T. N. "Seattle" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I am a primary care physician and I successfully treat diabetes and other obesity-related illnesses every single day with the sort of wheat-free low-carb advice that Dr. Davis gives here in this excellent book. I started recommending this about 15 years ago and have seen countless patients "cure" their diabetes and stop diabetes medications with this sort of dietary modification. Thanks Dr. Davis for such a well-written book, I recommend it to people all the time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, Dr. Davis!, November 14, 2012
I'm 37, male, in my "ideal weight" and "ideal BMI." With a family history of heart disease, however, I've been on a low-meat, low-cholesterol eating regimen since 2004. I've been taking dozens of supplements and drinking green tea daily. Most people, including doctors, consider me a very healthy guy. In October of 2011, thanks to the China Study and related works, I decided to go one step further: I eliminated red meat from my diet. As for eggs, dairy, poultry, fish, and seafood...I ate them only sparingly. Every morning I had oatmeal or whole wheat pancakes, followed by a lunch of rice or pasta, and a grain-based dinner. I consumed the recommended number of calories and avoided sugary junk foods. My diet was quite strict, consisting almost entirely of "healthy whole grains," legumes, fruits and vegetables. A few times a week I'd toss in a serving of fish or dairy. I thought I'd found the ideal eating style. Any conventional dietician or nutritionist would have applauded me.

Now let me tell you how this semi-vegetarian diet affected my health. The most obvious problem was in my digestive tract. No matter what I ate, I'd experience rumbling, cramping, discomfort, bloating and gas. Vegetarian websites suggested I take digestive enzymes to help break down the complex carbohydrates. The conventional advice was that vegetables and legumes were problematic "for some people," but too nutritious to eliminate from the diet. I tried several brands of digestive enzymes but found only limited relief.

As for the two dozen other health problems I experienced, I can only say this: We often don't know we have a problem until it goes away. Over the course of eight years of high-carbohydrate, low-fat dieting, the following problems crept up on me slowly: low energy, IBS, lactose intolerance, low libido, low testosterone, severe back pain, sore joints, lack of focus and concentration, poor balance and coordination, ataxia, disrupted sleep and sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, inability to breathe nasally, shortness of breath, extreme hunger between meals, weakened muscle tone and strength, cold fingers and toes, hair loss, skin depigmentation, weak urine flow, extreme fatigue, chronic depression, anxiety, and dermatillomania (obsessive finger-picking). I started taking more supplements. I did yoga and meditation for the unexplained anxiety and stretching for the unexplained muscle pain.

This laundry list of problems might make you think, "Wow, you were really sick." But because these problems arose one at a time, gradually, over many years, I didn't really feel sick. I learned to cope with each one and accept it as a part of me. In many cases, it felt like a part of the aging process. I'd tell myself I wasn't twenty anymore. I'd tell myself the problem was genetic or beyond my control. I maintained my ideal weight of 180 pounds. I ate healthy foods. I never contracted colds, flus, or any other viruses. I did not believe anything serious was wrong with me. I had some problems, but they were problems I could live with, and who didn't have some nagging health concerns? Let me reiterate that many of these problems were not even acknowledged until they went away.

Three weeks ago, my arrhythmia became so bad I thought I'd have a heart attack. Irregular heartbeats had plagued me for eight years, but they were chronic and occasional. Everyone I asked chalked it up to caffeine consumption. But the problem had worsened to become scary. I went online and researched my symptoms. Not for the first time, I wondered if I were having a blood sugar problem. But still, I did not eat any sugary foods or processed flours. It didn't seem to make sense.

Further online digging led me to the book, Wheat Belly. The next day I purchased it and devoured it like a whole wheat bagel. I simply could not believe what I was reading. Here was this Dr. William Davis, villifying the most important element of the vegetarian, low-cholesterol dietary regimen: "healthy whole grains," particularly wheat. Of course, I'd heard of gluten-sensitivity and celiac disease for years, and had always felt fortunate for not having that problem. After all, wheat had never caused hives or seizures for me, so I had no aversion to it. I suspected that Dr. Davis had written another fad diet book and would be unable to back up his outrageous claims.

He proved me wrong. Dr. Davis explores wheat in great depth, its history, its genetic composition, and all its toxic health effects. He shows how wheat contributes (if not directly causes) a huge host of problems: diabetes, inflammatory conditions, heart disease, cancer, chronic fatigue, muscle pain, hair loss, hormonal imbalances, digestive disorders, neurologic disorders, just to name a few. He identifies the substances in what we call "wheat" and shows exactly what they do to our bodies. His argument is well-researched and convincing.

On the first day of my new wheat-free diet, I ate eggs, fish, beef, a protein shake, and lots of vegetables. I felt better than I had in years, wide awake, alert and energetic. I did it again the next day and felt even better. Over the next ten days I felt increasingly healthy and vibrant. Nearly every problem on the above list has been ameliorated. Bloating and indigestion is 100% gone. Arrhythmia is 100% gone. Depression and anxiety are 100% gone. Back pain is 90% gone. Sleep apnea, RLS, and chronic fatigue are all gone. Nasal breathing is excellent. Testosterone and libido are way up. Proper urinary function is slowly returning. I no longer have the neurotic urge to pick at my cuticles all day. My joints feel well-lubed, as if they'd been rusty before. I walk differently, more freely and erect. My speaking voice dropped in pitch slightly and I have greater control of my singing voice. And I lost ten pounds of belly fat. I haven't felt this healthy in twenty years.

Of all the dietary experiments I've tried, this one has shown the most dramatic results. Thank you, Dr. William Davis, for your hard work and research in writing this brilliant, groundbreaking book. It has changed my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK!!!!, September 14, 2011
Do not buy this book if you want to continue being happy with sandwiches, cookies, cereal, and all other processed 'frankenwheat' products. Do not buy this book if you want to continue dealing with the health issues caused by eating grains. Do not buy this book if you prefer to continue to believe the government's My Plate eating plan.

While Dr. Davis' book has a lot of scientific, research related information that can bog you down at times, it needs to be read so that you can understand the whole concept of the book. While Dr. Davis is not the first one to preach the grain=bad message, his approach is all proved out by the research. Does it make sense that even though the low-fat, high-'whole'grain message is being preached by our government and being followed more and more that obesity is epidemic and diabetes is probably one of the fastest growing health problems in the U.S.? Someone's lying to us somewhere and since the "Big Grain" lobby is very active on Capitol Hill, my guess is that a lot of people have been sold a big fat lie about the 'health benefits' of grain. Dr. Davis exposes a tremendous amount of 'bad science'.

It's significant that almost immediately upon publication of the book, it, and the Dr. were attacked by the grain growers associations in an attempt to discredit him and his research.

Read the book and then you can judge. Or just go to your local Walmart/Safeway/Kroger & see if there might be a relationship between carts loaded down with bread/cereal/processed foods and the weight of the people pushing the cart.

I bought the Kindle edition but am also ordering a hardcopy to share with others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gluten-ous Maximus, August 29, 2011
Russell G. Moore (North Ridgeville, OH) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Wheat Belly is absolutely fantastic and I recommend it to anyone who will listen.

The book starts with sort of a history of wheat; how wheat is part of the fabric of all human cultures. The first couple chapters move a little slowly, but are written so well that even the most mundane facts and figures kept my interest. History of wheat, some talk about how wheat has evolved since the wheat of the Old Testament, and how it is not really wheat at all today.

In the United States, the acreage wheat occupies is larger than the state of Ohio (go Buckeyes!) and the amount of space wheat takes up on the globe is larger than the area of western Europe. It has a permament place in our lives - so it seems. But is today's wheat really something we should be putting in our ovens? On our tables? In our bodies?

Wheat has not actually gone through any evolution over time, but it has gone through some rigorous genetic alterations. The amber waves of grain, growing on stalks topping four feet high, represent only 1% of the world's wheat production - rare to say the least. The wheat we see in the bread and cereal ailses grows a mere 18 inches, allowing not only for a second crop each year, but contains insecticides and fungicides right in the seed heads. Genetic engineering allowed for inclusioin of these things without so much as a single test for nutrition, safety or consistency.

Gluten, the fatty protien in wheat (and numerous other grains) is produced many times the amount in old-school wheat. Gluten fosters very stubborn belly fat, hence the term "wheat belly".

After the history and culture lesson, Dr. Davis goes on to tell us not only why wheat is so bad for us, but what we can do about it; alternatives and resolves. Everyone should read this book. I'm sold on Wheat Belly and I'm off wheat for good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can Giving Up Wheat REALLY Make a Difference?, March 16, 2012
Usually, I'm not this personal when I review a book, but this book requires more of a firsthand, first person review.

I'm like everyone else, I suppose. I've been on every diet there is. High carb. Low carb. High protein. No fat. Low fat. First fat makes you fat, then carbs make you fat. It's confusing and overwhelming. Then I heard about this Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back To Health book. I gave myself a couple of weeks to read the book, digest the information, and then made the important decision not to digest wheat. Cold turkey. The first three days were difficult, but then (and I know you've heard this before), it's like the fog lifted. I felt better, started losing weight, and had more energy. The pervasive soreness I've dealt with for the past few years has abated, and for that, I'm very thankful.

Trying to find wheat-free foods, especially while eating out, is difficult, but not impossible. I find myself using the recipes in the Wheat Belly book and eating home more. And when I start to think that perhaps it's not really giving up wheat that made the difference, I go back to the research in the book - and there is plenty. I purchased the Kindle edition and I've highlighted all the way through so that I have quick and handy references. The research is a bit overwhelming, and this is not strictly a 'how-to' diet book, but it's more of a primer on why you should give up wheat and a launching pad of sorts with the recipes in the back.

I started a blog a while back called "Sick and Tired Woman." I have now changed the title to "Sick and Tired No More!" So, can giving up wheat really make a difference? In a word, yes. At least it did for me. Everyone's metabolism is different, but for me, this book has been a godsend. Highly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not For Everyone (and even those it's for don't need the book), August 12, 2013
First of all, don't shoot the messenger. If this approach (removing wheat from your diet) works for you I am very happy. None of us should be fat, and anything which gets rid of the crap that Mad Men sell to us is a Good Thing. But I'd like to post a contrary opinion to this process (and, more importantly, the book) in the hopes it will also help people.

A little background -- I was *very* fat at a very late stage in life. Retired, tipping the scales at 235 with a waist of 46" I was a prime candidate for all the nasty things that happen to people when they let themselves go (I think my salvation was being plenty active -- I play tennis 4 or 5 times a week and even at my heaviest I got a lot of exercise).

I did get the weight off (lost 70 pounds, waist to 32 inches, off all the medicines that keep a fat person alive and their heart still working) and it took me about 9 months. I've kept it off for the last three years, mostly by just eating healthy and all the reasonable things you might expect and read about (#1 tip though -- ditch ALL the caloric drinks. Trust me, guys in particular, these are the killers. Stick to unsweetened tea and water and that's almost all you ever need do). As healthy as I am, though, I'm always on the lookout to improve so I picked this book up, read it cover to cover, and gave the precepts inside a shot.

The book is the biggest problem -- you don't need this book. Basically it's one argument, repeated again and again, based on ONE study (and a flawed study at that). He even admits the study isn't completely relevant to weight loss per se, but then goes on to say it is and... well, just says it over and over. There are a *few* recipes included, but the bottom line is this: if you buy for even one moment that you need to kick the wheat habit, then don't bother with this book (if you don't buy it this book will be unlikely to convince you).

My own personal feelings is there are many people who WOULD benefit from stopping wheat entirely. Many, but not all, and perhaps even not the majority. I tried it for three months, was completely faithful (cooking my own "bread" with both coconut flour and almond flour -- actually pretty tasty and I enjoyed both but a lot of work) and did not eat ANY other crap -- no cookies, sweets, no artificial sweeteners (I deplore those as well), only raw or healthy foods in reduced calories that has stood me in good stead for these last three years and kept my weight -- and waistline -- where it needs to be.

The results? After three months I actually gained about 2 pounds. However, this isn't statistically significant, as my weight now in the last three years fluctuates five pounds (if I keep it in that window I don't get fanatical about it). So I stopped all the non-wheat bread making and cooking and went back to MY diet (which does include wheat, although only 100% whole grain wheat) and ended up losing five pounds in the first month (again, not statistically all that significant EXCEPT in relation to the comparison of being on the diet and off it).

IOW, being "wheat free" did nothing for my weight and, frankly, made me FEEL a lot worse. (For one thing, I was more constipated -- and I eat LOTS of fiber. But I just wasn't getting the easy and "good" fiber I think I get when I eat whole wheat). Again, I realize there are folks who will feel better not consuming wheat, but I ain't one of them and if you aren't either you shouldn't feel bad.

I think everyone ought to at least give a wheat-free diet a try IF they are overweight or otherwise feeling poorly. It certainly can't hurt and it does make you consider a lot of things about what you consume. But don't spend the money for the book (unless you just have lots of money -- in which case I'd be glad to accept donations :>) and don't feel bad if it isn't the cure for you it seems to be for others. We're all special, in our own ways.

Stay healthy and stay thin!

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health