4,400 Reviews
 (2,893)

5,198 of 5,311 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Overweight? Diabetic? Got High Blood Pressure, Arthritis? Get this Book!
I've been following Dr. Davis' heart scan blog for the past year, and have learned so much about how certain supplements can stop and even reverse plaque, high blood pressure, arthritis, diabetes, and many other health problems. And he talked a lot about wheat, and the many ways it destroys your health. But I've been hesitant to go wheat free. I love warm bread with...
Published on September 2, 2011 by Robert Burton Robinson - Autho...

1,329 of 1,489 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag
I thought the author did a good job of implicating modern hybridized wheat products and government pushing of grain-based eating in the explosion of weight management problems for people in recent history. The story of how wheat was transformed into today's high-yield variety and the nutritional consequences of that was educational and particularly welcome for me because...
Published on October 5, 2011 by No Middle Name

‹ Previous | 1100 101 102440 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Lose the Wheat, Get Back Your Health, July 8, 2014
This book has totally changed not only my life but also that of someone to whom I recommended it. Dr. Davis, through his writing, has done for me what many doctors were unable to do: Figure out my allergies. I also lost a lot of weight solely by eliminating wheat from my diet. Simply life-changing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's the Wheat?, January 30, 2014
This is a diatribe on the evils of wheat. Dr. Davis is informative about the changes in wheat as we know it today but he becomes a little silly when he attributes everything from autism to fatigue to wheat. There are some kernels of good info but on the whole it's just another rant from a food nazi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, November 13, 2014
Love this book. Full of super information. Lost 35 pounds without hardly trying at all. Just follow the recommendations in the book and eat clean. I did not increase exercise AT ALL! Smart author. I bought it used. I don't mind reading a book someone else has read. Saves lots of moolah!

5.0 out of 5 stars Newfound Health for Two People, December 14, 2014
This book has changed my life (and that of my boyfriend's) considerably!

A number of symptoms and conditions began to plague my health beginning approximately five years ago; significant mood swings, exacerbation of ADD, post-herpetic neuralgia following shingles, near daily migraines, a retinal hemorrhage, dizziness, ataxia, nystagmus, gait imbalance, bladder issues, bowel issues, a normal MRI and two years later an MRI showing two lesions with a possible third that although not definitively meeting any diagnostic criteria were noted to be possible early MS (ruled out by a spinal tap), possible sources for the pain pattern of my migraines, or perhaps just and "odd scan" often seen in migraine sufferers.

Following the discovery of brain lesions, I immediately "went Paleo." Yet as an RN this seemed radical and unconventional. I saw drastic improvement in all of my symptoms within three weeks . It was simply too difficult to follow the plan however. I also was unsure if I was merely experiencing a placebo effect. Within a week of returning to my former standard American diet, my symptoms returned worse than ever. Intermittently I attempted to return to Paleo without success.

My boyfriend suggested I read Wheat Belly. He had received a complimentary copy from his cardiologist. He had been referred for an employee health screen showing cholesterol level of nearly 400 with a lipid profile revealing LDL, VLDL, and triglyceride levels I had never seen. I am an RN with 18 years experience who had began my career in ICU and Coronary Bypass Graft Surgical ICU. I was befuddled! He was a marathoner who strictly followed the conventional nutritional advice of the ADA and AHA. This went against all knowledge I had been taught. As well as teaching instructions I had been giving patients through my current 10 years of Endoscopy (GI Lab) nursing.

By following Wheat Belly and eliminating wheat alone, his six month check up revealed a cholesterol level of 258 and a much improved lipid profile. He also saw a 20 pound weight loss he had never achieved despite his intense amount of running.

I have eliminated wheat, decreased my diet cola consumption, and decreased my sugar intake. SUCCESS! I don't have the vocabulary to describe the impact this has had in either eliminating or greatly relieving the symptoms that have been severely decreasing my quality of life for five years. And this is a plan that is not only "doable," it is one that has re-wakened my tastebuds and love of cooking.

Three and six month follow up appointments by my Neurologist have shown elimination of his objective exam findings. Subsequent MRI's show no enlargement or increase of brain lesions. A daily headache journal app that sends reports to my doctor show a steep decline in not only migraines but overall amount of headaches.

My doctor, who enters the exam room drinking diet cola, said there is "absolutely no credible scientific evidence that wheat elimination can improve neurological symptoms and aspartame only affects about 2-4% of migraine sufferers." He then cautiously added, "But I'm all for patients feeling better."

I have recommended this book to my ex-husband who, at 40, was found to have coronary arteriosclerosis and needed a heart catheterization. It deemed stent placements would beneficial in two areas but was not a candidate. I even recommended this book to him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Been without wheat for over two years...., September 14, 2014
I read this book 2.5 years ago, and very soon began to implement many (not all) of Dr. Davis' recommendations. Within three months or so, I was rid of several annoying and painful conditions I suffered from.

Everybody will do this experiment differently. I wanted to be sure that wheat was the cause of my problems, so I purposely left corn and rice in my diet for months. All I did was leave off wheat. The wheat was what made the difference, I have no doubt.

I believe that wheat is an anti-nutrient. Because most people eat too much of it, not only in the form of bread, cereal, pasta, baked goodies, and breadings, in addition to all those mysterious places wheat shows up (like in soy sauce), it becomes overkill. They end up crowding out foods which would supply proper nutrition, in addition to promoting body inflammation and leaky gut syndrome.

I am not a zealot, I just avoid wheat whenever I can. When I eat out, I am probably getting a little wheat in some of the sauces restaurants pour over their meats and vegetables. You can get by with this if you do not have celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. You'll know who you are -- the consumption of a piece of pie once a year at Thanksgiving will not derail you, or make you sick!

As time went on, maybe another year or year and a half, I began to realize other benefits, no doubt due to the improvement of my gut bacteria. For instance, I lost my allergy to chocolate! And my incidence of headaches was cut by 50% or more. Indeed, after the two year mark, the incidence of headaches is even less.

I know for sure that my diet could still be better. At times, I still consume too much sugar. I do eat non-GMO corn chips, sometimes too many. But all of the improvements gained in my health have held, simply because wheat is absent.

Dr. William Davis is a good guy, and you don't have to agree with everything he says to benefit from his book. I think you will find, with his newest book, which will be out very soon, that he has refined some of his thinking. He is flexible and open to changing his mind in the light of new evidence. For instance, he has taken seriously the recent research on resistant starch, and is no doubt going to recommend it as an important part of the diet.

Oh, and Dr. Davis is a good writer. He seems to have a good editor, and together they made Wheat Belly a very engaging book. The title alone is genius marketing, in my opinion.

The very low carb (VLC) aspect of this diet will sting some. They will find it too restrictive, and for many, it is. I never went less than 75 grams of carbs per day, because I didn't need to. However, I still lost a little weight, on the order of ten pounds. If you want to implement Wheat Belly, please be sure to monitor your symptoms over time. I especially recommend that you watch for leg cramps. I find this to be a danger sign, which was easily remedied by raising my carb level to 100 grams per day. For others, it will be a matter of too little sodium, or not enough magnesium or potassium in their body. I'd say, for serious dieters, be about as careful as you would with the Atkins diet, and if you don't feel well, maybe increase your carbs. There are many folks who kept up the very low carb too long, and caused damage to their health that took a long time to recover from.

Finally, I just have to say that one of the amazing benefits of being wheatless was tremendously better concentration on long road trips. If you quit eating wheat, and are getting proper sleep, I suggest that you will not have road hypnosis -- perhaps saving your life or someone else's. I tested this numerous times when I had to drive 300 miles in one day, and found it to be uniformly true for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read!, May 15, 2014
Very informational, I have been trying to go wheat free for over a month with little success due to lack of motivation. After reading this book I have been wheat free for a week with no desire to put food in my body that affects it the way wheat does! Thank you Dr Davis!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy recipes for all, not for just the gluten-intolerant, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Wheat Belly (Kindle Edition)
I have tried several of the recipes and look forward to trying more of them. Using ground nuts wheat germ to replace flour has to be healthier for everyone. One doesn't have to be allergic to wheat gluten to see the benefits. I highly recommend this book of recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost 28 pounds over 2.5 years, May 13, 2014
Started the program of no wheat over 2 years ago. Lost the weight over the first year and have kept it off ever since. It is tough to give the wheat up for the first few months, but then it becomes a habit that is fairly easy to keep considering the results. rge

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Three Books Everyone should read, May 18, 2014
David E. Haupt (Cedar Rapids, IA USA) - See all my reviews
I would like to tell you the latest thing that is basically turning medicine on its head. The studies and knowledge were always there, but doctors were (and still are) reluctant to change. Sadly, we doctors tend to cling to the things we were forced to memorize in Medical School as if it were a religious dogma. Instead of promoting prevention and cures with a better lifestyle, we often commit to the inevitability of disease and treat the symptoms - not the cause.

Exercise is essential to a healthy lifestyle, but sadly has minimal effect on weight loss. The Grain Brain book emphasizes aerobic exercise, not just for the heart, but especially for brain health.

I recently read three books, all somewhat similar, but each from a different perspective, about diet controlling our health far, far more than we ever expected. And the things that most doctors tell you to stay away from may be the very things your body craves and needs. (Cholesterol is good and essential and lacking in today's American diet, and whole "healthy" grains are a common source of many diseases that are epidemic today.)

Each of these books is a great read, and you will benefit by following their advice, in my opinion. I am following it myself and it is making me younger, smarter and happier. Each of these books is scientifically based.

Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs and Sugar - Your Brains Silent Killers by David Perlmutter, MD

The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine by Terri Wahls, MD (by the way a doctor at the University of Iowa)

Wheat Belly: Loose the Wheat, Lose the Weight and find your Path Back to Health by William Davis, MD

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye-opener, January 21, 2014
Davis lays out in detail why wheat products are more dangerous than just their impact on blood glucose levels. Within three days of quitting wheat, a knee problem I had endured for about six years was practically eliminated. Wheat, in it's current form, really is poison.

‹ Previous | 1100 101 102440 | Next ›