5.0 out of 5 stars Learning to live without wheat
Published on February 28, 2006 by Patricia Nichols

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, bad follow thru
I was really looking forward to this book and thought the recipes sounded great and then I began to test them, several were so bad I just tossed in the garbage because I couldn't eat it. I found very few recipes I really liked. I am so upset because I only have one Gluten free cookbook and this was it.
Published on August 16, 2006 by Audra T. Reilly

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning to live without wheat, February 28, 2006
This review is from: Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus (Paperback)
I use to be a gourmet cook - until I learned I was gluten intolerant. The last two years have been spent learning how to be a gourmet cook AGAIN minus the wide variety of grains and thickeners that other cooks rely upon. This book offers great recipes to replace some of your "staple" items - like Teriyaki Sauce!! Who'd a guessed that soy sauce (which contains wheat) forms the basis of so many other sauces and flavorings?? Anyhow, that said, this cookbook is more than that - its an assist in survival after wheat. And it is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Showcasing more than 250 recipes and more than 100 menus, September 12, 2004
This review is from: Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus (Paperback)
The author of five previous gluten-free cookbooks, Carol Fenster's Wheat-Free Recipes & Menus: Delicious, Healthful Eating For People With Food Sensitivities is enhanced with helpful tips culled from her own gluten-free lifestyle and her past ten gluten-free years in the kitchen. Showcasing more than 250 recipes and more than 100 menus, Wheat-Free Recipes & Menus is standing proof that gluten intolerant people do not have to be deprived of breads, pizzas, cakes, muffins, cookies, casseroles, waffles, or sauces! From Fennel Bread; Asian Soba Noodles; Lentil Tabbouleh; Avocado Chile Sauce; and Mexican Beef Pie; to Pizza; Yellow Cake; Ham and Egg Breakfast Casserole; Biscuits; Lasagne; and Wild Rice Pancakes with Pecans, Wheat-Free Recipes & Menus is a welcome and essential addition to any gluten-free cookbook collection where all members of the family can experience wonderful wheat-free dining for all mealtime occasions.

5.0 out of 5 stars You CAN still have comfort foods!, June 22, 2006
Kelli Lincoln (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus (Paperback)
The recipes are really easy and many of them will give you "comfort foods" that you will really miss otherwise. When I went off wheat, I *yearned* for biscuits and pancakes and brownies and muffins, and this book gave them back to me! Many of these recipes are so delicious that we still use them today, even though our family sometimes incorporates wheat into our diet. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Gluten Free Cookbook I've Found!, March 6, 2007
This review is from: Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus (Paperback)
This is the best gluten free cookbook I've found, and I've tried a number of them since I was diagnosed gluten intolerant 4 years ago. I had about given up thinking I'd ever enjoy bread the way I used to, but I have been truly amazed by every item I've made from Carol Fenster's book. Even my husband, who can eat wheat, loves these breads! I am a naturopathic doctor, and see many patients who are gluten intolerant; I recommend this book to all of them! If you are feeling overwhelmed by a restricted diet, this book will bring back the joy of eating! Try the French bread first; it's easy, quick and it will restore your faith. Note: I have always used the sorghum-corn flour blend, so that's what I base this review on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wheat Free Recipes and Menus, June 25, 2009
This review is from: Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus (Paperback)
This is an excellent source for gluten free recipes and menus.
I bought the it specifically for the menus and I like them a lot.
I do wish there were more vegetarian menus. I have the same complaint of all of Carol Fenster's books.
One complaint I personally have, I'm not a big fan of cilantro and found this to be a major ingredient in many of these recipes, it would be nice if there was an alternative herb to use in place of it. I've found that cilantro is one of those things that people either love or hate.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cookbook with bread that feels, looks, & tastes like regular bread, March 22, 2007
This review is from: Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus (Paperback)
As we have traveled the gluten-free cooking road we have found a lot of recipes that get rave reviews that I have decided are made by those who don't know what good food tastes like. This cookbook, however, has wonderful recipes for bread, brownies, etc. The sandwich bread is especially good, we add flax meal to it to add fiber. My children love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cookbook for a midwestern boy needing comfort food, August 1, 2008
This review is from: Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus (Paperback)
The recipes are very good but I had a lot of trouble finding some of the ingredients she used. We went to trader joes and whole foods and still could not find a few of the items. It's a good book to help convert someone to a wheat-free diet, especially someone who loves all things wheat. My husband gave up the diet after a few weeks but I still have the cookbook and use it occasionally. Some of the ideas are great.

4.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME INFO!!!, May 27, 2007
This review is from: Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus (Paperback)
Wow, I feel like I have been living in the dark ages until I learned about all these wonderful methods and products to prepare gluten -free foods!!!

This info is a tremendous eye-opener!

Thank you so much and I hope to see more books on this topic!

Keep up the great work Carol Fenster! ...you ROCK!

PS: We would also love to see some healthier sweetening options presented, other than white sugar...

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, bad follow thru, August 16, 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus (Paperback)
This is an excellent book and easy to use. The flour mix recipes are easy and wonderful to use in the recipes. The cakes, breads and such are just as good the "Normal" breads. My kids even love them.

Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus
Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus by Carol Lee Fenster (Paperback - July 22, 2004)
$20.00 $15.59