Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 22, 2014
If non habes, you should consider it. Even if this is not your curriculum Latin text, it is quite brilliantly arranged for self-tutoring or refreshing yourself if it has been a while since you have taken a course. Added benefit of including excerpts from Classical works, information about geography and socio-political landscapes in Roman history. The companion workbook is also nothing to sniff at!

Love it, would recommend in particular to new students of Latin. Arrived on time, well packaged, and just as expected. Very pleased!
on April 17, 2014
This textbook presents a wealth of information in a concise, lively and interesting format and is supplemented by many additional resources that help you delve into the study of Latin (I use the audio clips on the Wheelock's Latin website extensively for listening on how to pronounce Latin for example). Each chapter is relatively short but packs in well organized information which is reinforced by exercises within the book. Each chapter contains a nicely organized vocabulary list and some fun excerpts and clips from various Latin authors that make for some interesting reading. A great textbook that is also a lot of fun.
on April 23, 2016
I have been through Orberg's Familia Latina and Wheelock's Latin and recommend Wheelock's for beginners because it takes small steps going from one chapter to the next whereas Familia Latina can be much too overwhelming depending on the chapter. Wheelock's first and then Familia Latina. One can learn Latin at home studying from the Wheelock's textbook while Familia Latina is definitely meant for the classroom.
on June 7, 2013
My comments pertain here to the Kindle edition more than the paperback - I have both versions. The paperback is, of course, excellent, a standard work, highly respected and with good reason. I bought the Kindle edition to allow me to study without carting around a heavy tome. I think this book is best read on an iPad or similar. The Kindle screen is small, the tables are small, and it is a fiddle to enlarge or navigate through them. Compared with the ease of using a classical book format, I found this too bothersome. That is not to say that I cannot use it - far from it! Just that I would use the Kindle version on the iPad.

Would I buy the Kindle version again? Certainly.
on April 2, 2015
Most of what I could say has been said by other 5-star reviews. "Wheelock's Latin" is a very good college course (and could be used in high school). My only reservation is its inadequate presentation of Roman life and culture. Of course, these things are introduced through some of the readings (which need to be fleshed out by the instructor), but a student who comes away with a good knowledge of basic Classical Latin will need to read about Rome's history and culture from other sources to give a deeper appreciation of the Classical World. This lack of detail regarding Roman history, culture and mythology might be a problem for those students taking the National Latin Exam. Nevertheless, the book is excellent in its presentations and grammar explanations and (along with the Workbook) has plenty of practice to solidify mastery. I would consider Wheelock to be the standard by which most texts are measured.
on October 17, 2011
I have an intense curiosity about languages, unfortunately between work, life, dogs, etc... I don't always have the time to do the in-depth study of languages that I would like so I mostly wind up satiating my desire to learn about languages by getting a basic introduction to the language and then picking up a unit here and there as time allows.

Latin has always interested me, and I've picked up tidbits here and there from church and other sources but I wanted a more formalized means of studying the language. After searching around Amazon and the internet for Latin language resources I kept coming back to this book. Wheelock's Latin appears to be one of the most used Latin language resources out there. And, after picking up the book I can understand why. Wheelock put a lot of thought into the writing of this book and it stands the test of time, just as the Latin language has.

There is a good amount of explanation and it's not in a detached scholarly format, it's in a format that can be connected to by the average student. There are also a number of other resources available that support and relate to the lessons in this book including workbooks and audio cd's. These have been invaluable to me as a do-it-yourselfer.

I definitely recommend this book and the related resources out there to anyone looking to take on the study of Latin.
on April 19, 2016
The Kindle version is not good. Any letters with an accent and a macron are images rather than text. This means the letters look different on the screen (using my ipad with Kindle app), making for a very disjointed reading process. It also means you can't copy and paste into notes because the letters that are images are not copied. It's not unreadable, but it's distracting. I'm getting the paperback instead.
Love to read "Wheelock's Latin". Great layout and content. There are so many interesting chapters and I love how the lecture is portioned, so that one does not get overwhelmed. There is so much to learn from the Greek and Roman empire and others. If you want to check out a recent take on Warhol's "Chelsea Girls", please check out the THE MANHATTAN DATING PROJECT and leave us a comment, good or bad. gratias tibi.
on June 3, 2014
This book is great for Latin! I actually started Latin 2 and went on to Latin 3 without ever taking Latin 1, but this book was used for all three classes at my school. It had everything I needed to know, and it also had tons of other info that I didn't really need that was still interesting. Great example problems and readings. Very technical about the grammar, which got a bit confusing at times, but the extra reference stuff in the appendix easily made up for it.
on February 10, 2016
I have taught from Wheelock for several years and have in fact taught myself Latin from it. It is clear and I never found myself lost as a self-learner. The Kindle edition does have some formatting issues, though these are not insurmountable. I wish the publisher would update with fixes.