Hot Wheels Mega Loop Mayhem Trackset
Price:$121.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 12, 2012
My husband ordered this product for my son's birthday. Unfortunately my husband isn't one to read reviews so when I checked the reviews on here I became concerned.

Pros:
-My son AND daughter love it. They will giggle and crack up if the cars crash.
-Set up was fairly easy.

Cons:
-4 'D' batteries!
-Only comes with one car, though my son has so many cars that we easily found others that will work for the track. Weight had a lot to do with it. If the car is too heavy it won't even go around the loop. If it's too light it won't make it around the whole track.
-LOUD!!! Just turning the toy on is loud enough, but once those cars start going around the loop it gets much, much louder. So if you are looking for a quiet toy, this is not it! Our kids have a time frame in which they can play with this, and it starts after Mommy has had her coffee!

It looks like the cons outweigh the pros, but the number 1 pro is that my kids love it! They get so much entertainment from it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What the heck? This only comes with one car? C'mon man! Another car would have probably been about twenty-five cents in manufacturing costs. For what this toy costs, there should have been two cars, especially since it is a two car track. Sheeesh, I already have to buy some D cell batteries to make it work. Give me another car!

Anyway, the thing does go together easy enough. It works well, but some cars don't work as well as others. About a billion years ago, I had some of these Hot Wheels car "thrower" things and they pushed a car better than this toy does. But this thing works, I just think it could be a bit better. Anyway, crashing is fun. It is noisy, but not terribly so. Everything seems like it will last awhile.

So, the faults are this:

1. For the price, it should come with two cars.
2. The launchers work, but are a bit weak, so some cars (lighter weight cars) work better than others.

The good thing stuff:

1. Kids have fun adding several cars to the track and watching them crash. The near misses seem to be even more fun.
2. It seems to be constructed well enough to last awhile.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 26, 2012
Has 2 tracks but set comes with only one car. The battery charged launcher isn't strong enough to launch just any Hot Wheels car. In fact, you have to buy a very light weight mostly plastic HW car for these weak launchers. Even the car that it came has a difficult time making it around the track. Just after a few days using brand new brand name batteries, the "used" batteries are already too weak to maintain the launcher speed to get the cars around the track. I'd rather this set just be an electric plug in. Am currently inquiring about having a friend build a plug for it. This was a huge dissapointment for 2 five year olds.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 3, 2012
My son was playing with it for a couple of hours. We then had to move it, after we moved the track it stoped working. I tried chaning the batteries, but that did no good. Plus it only comes with one car. Disapointing product.
on December 27, 2012
This is our Hot Wheels Mega Loop Mayhem. This video is just to show you how loud this toy is, very loud! Aside from the fact that it's loud my kids really have a blast with it. It really does keep them entertained for a long time. The sheer noise of the machine is hard to deal with, it's a toy that is best played with in their bedroom with their door closed. The track has two big loops, I would not call them "huge" as Hot Wheels claims but you can choose when to send your car off to the rest of the track which my boys seem to really love. They frequently let it "burn up" before sending off to the rest of the track.

The track comes with one car but it seems to be compatible a lot of the Hot Wheels cars. We had no problem going through our Hot Wheels cars and finding many that worked. If your child only has a few Hot Wheels cars chances are you may not have any that work. We don't have that many but my children easily found five without much effort that work great with this track. As long as they aren't a heavier car type they should work fine.

The track wasn't too hard to put together, it took me about 20mins. The pieces are marked and there is a diagram to follow. The diagram isn't the the most simple thing because there's no written directions but it's not too hard to figure out and wasn't too frustrating.

It's a pretty solid design once together, it's been moved from room to room in my house and hasn't come apart yet.

Overall fun toy for kids but be prepared for the noise.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 11, 2012
Weak launcher, wouldn't even launch the car that comes with it. Put it together, tried it out, really stinks and became instantly useless.... headed to garbage.

If you can't even launch the car, what's the point? Son gets more satisfaction from his straight track he can put together himself.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Hot wheels has came a long way since the 70's and 80's haven't they? They have more to choose from and cost is too high if you ask me. It would be great if the quality was still the same. This set is the cheapest made I have seen yet. It reminds me of one of those knockoffs from a dollar store for 5 bucks or less.

Seriously! And then it has this special car you can race up to six at a time. That is if you are willing to fork over the money to buy the other 5 which do not come with it. And no you can not just rummage through the toy box and grab a handful of cars n hot wheels. They will not work. It's a shame. I remember the old days when almost any old car or truck would zip down a hot wheels track. Heck, we even had some missing a wheel or two and they still worked.

Not today. The quality is poor, and the design is terrible. Besides, it eats size D batteries rather quickly. My children lost interest fast, after trying so hard to make other cars work.
on March 16, 2013
I read a number of reviews before deciding to give this a try. Looking for something fun to play with with my 2+ year old. I know it is a little old for him but figured I could have some fun too.

Assembly was a little more involved than any track set I remember. Tracks are a little more flimsy than anything I remember 30+ years ago - guess that is "progress".

As others mention - it only comes with 1 car - and it is a disappointingly poor quality one at that. It did not work very well at any point.

Being a little thrifty I decided to run it with 10,000mah NiMH rechargable D cells. Though aware they only put out 1.2volts. Ended up insufficient to really get the cars moving and only a few of the ones I tried went around the loop.
So as a DIYer I ran 6volts and 6amps from my full sized car charger - more than enough power though not more than the 6 volts it would normally get from batteries. So it spins the cars at a good pace. Not many cars I tried stay on the track. only 3 of the rally style cars I found work best - they will stay on the track for 3 or 4 laps but ultimately they get stuck in the release chute from the loop. Just a poor design.

I get the impression the people at hotwheels have not spent a whole lot of time with one of these on the boardroom table using it. Because they would not in good conscience have released it as is.

As for my son - he lost interest in a matter of minutes - cannot say I blame him. I would hate to be trying to keep this thing supplied with D Cell batteries and continually recovering cars that crash because of the track - not the crash zones.

Feel like returning but perhaps I will put it aside and maybe in a few years it will be of more interest. Unlike sets I used as a kid - this set is not durable, functional, or adaptable to be used with other track layouts. Bit of a disappointment really! (I may add some video shortly)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2012
False Advertisement, does not work with other cars which in my opinion is dumb. This track should work with all hot wheel cars because it is a track from hot wheels. I am certainly not happy with this product.
on October 9, 2012
Bought this for my kids knowing that Hot Wheels brand has an almost unbreakable track. However, after only 20 minutes of exciting play the launcher started to die down. I replaced the batteries with new ones and had no better result. Now I get to give myself another errand by taking it all back down and returning it.