Top positive review
103 people found this helpful
Is this a neat toy? Read on ...
on October 2, 2012
On the scale of "neat ideas", this toy, the "Hot Wheels RC Terrain Twister Vehicle" ranks pretty highly, in my opinion. The packaging claims that the toy will go on land, water, and snow. But does it? And is it a great toy? Below are my pros and cons on this vehicle.
- It does go over a variety of terrain ... grass, pavement (although the hard surface will scuff the surface of the plastic corkscrew threads, and the smoother the pavement the slower it goes forward/backwards), and in water. Not surprisingly, the one surface that it doesn't go well on is hardwood flooring, as the plastic on the treads can't grip a smooth surface effectively. It does go on carpets if you want to play inside, though. I haven't had a chance to test this yet on snow.
- It comes with two AA batteries for the remote, and a rechargeable battery pack for the vehicle itself. Including the rechargeable battery pack is a great idea, as I think this vehicle would just devour batteries.
- Although the recommended ages are from 8 to 13, my three children (ages 7, 5, and 3) all were able to enjoy playing with the toy
- It's reasonably sturdy, and can be "hosed off" when you're done playing with it
- The toy goes faster "side to side" than forward and is a little hard to steer, neither of which is surprising, though, given how it propels itself
- You can get up to about half an hour of play time before you need to recharge the vehicle, and it takes about 4 hours per recharge (after you break in the battery). So basically figure that you'll need to recharge the battery after every time your kids play with this.
Overall ... this IS a neat toy. If your kids are playing with this at a park, they will draw a lot of interested observers. It's not perfect ... a longer battery life would be nice, it's slow moving forward, and is a little hard to steer, but it's fun, and it's something different. One note ... if you're going to give this as a present, you may want to open the present and pre-charge the battery so that it can be played when opened. (It takes 5 ½ hours to charge the first two times and then around 4 hours after that.) I like it. Four stars.