Customer Discussions > A Very Special Christmas forum

When and why was "Back Door Santa" by Jon Bon Jovi removed?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2007 2:35:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2008 1:38:34 PM PST
Steve says:
Does anyone know exactly when A&M Records decided to remove Bon Jovi's rendition of "Back Door Santa" (which was included on the original 1987 version of this compilation) and replace it with "I Wish Everyday Could Be Like Christmas"? Luckily, I still have the original CD pressing of this classic compilation. I'm just curious when the replacement was made and what official reason (if any) was given by the record label (though I'm pretty sure I can guess the reason).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007 10:57:09 PM PST
Jpooh says:
i personally have to agree with you.
Its a great song. I still have it too on a cassette. Too bad it's not in the case... The search is on for it.
It's a GREAT Christmas Song

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2009 7:37:49 PM PDT
S. Lennox says:
It could have been replaced for a variety of reasons: possibly someone at the label thought the lyrics weren't particularly appropriate for a Christmas charity album; maybe Bon Jovi's arena-rock version didn't particularly catch on with listeners (I hear the other songs from the album played on the radio at Christmas, but Back Door not so much); it also could have been a licensing issue since Jon Bon Jovi didn't write Back Door but he did write I Wish Everyday; or maybe Jon just liked his own song better and asked for it to be replaced. I don't know specifically when the song was replaced but I first noticed the change in the late 90's when I was checking out holiday cds. I still have the original cd though so I guess it's a bit of a rarity.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 1:42:25 PM PST
bookworm says:
Glad I still have my original vinyl and cd :-)

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 1:35:43 PM PST
Open Book says:
Is Bon Jovi's Back Door Santa available anyplace else? Anyone know?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 1:36:08 PM PST
S. Lennox says:
It's also available on a Bon Jovi cd single of Please Come Home For Christmas that has Back Door as well as I Wish Everyday. I've seen it on eBay for about 15-20 bucks. Otherwise if you just want the mp3 a quick Google search will find plenty of sites sharing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 2:51:52 PM PDT
Open Book says:
A belated thanks for the info, S. Lennox!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Very Special Christmas
A Very Special Christmas by The Pretenders (Audio CD - 2007)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (193)