5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it. Period.
Published on February 6, 2011 by PhotogNinja

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointed
Published on March 11, 2011 by Kat Sanford

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it. Period., February 6, 2011
I'm an Eloisa James fan anyway but I think this is her best yet. At first I was a little iffy because the first chapter of the book basically just describes how beautiful and perfect Linnet, the heroine, is. However, that skepticism was soon replaced with anticipation of what was going to happen to her. I laughed at Piers' temper tantrums that usually involved funny little insults to his butler, etc. I felt both Linnet's and Piers' feelings of desperation in various parts of the novel. I greatly admired and hated Piers for his dedication to his work. I could go on and on about how emotionally involved I was in this book but to put it simply if you like historical romance you should read this and reread this.

This is honestly my new favorite book. I read it really quickly and regret it because I am now wanting more. I liked "A Kiss at Midnight" but this is exponentially better. I've read 10 books by Eloisa but this one takes the cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe she made me cry!, January 25, 2011
Daisy (Flagstaff,AZ) - See all my reviews
I didn't expect any more of this novel than a fun retelling of the fairy story, some good dialogue, the usual enjoyable Eloisa James romp. It was all that and a bit more. I have no intention of giving away any of the story but I had a vision at one point when I was sniveling with the poignancy of the moment of Eloisa James as Kathleen Turner at the beginning of the movie after Romancing the Stone where she's writing the last chapter of her romance novel and sobbing over her typewriter. What can I say, they seem like real people whom the author cares about. I think it's her best yet. (And of course they don't live UNhappily ever after)

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointed, March 11, 2011
I purchased this book based on the reviews and now I simply dont want anyone else to be misled into thinking that you'll cry over the ending and that the book is truly moving, because frankly, it's not. It's not like I expected a whole lot of depth, I just wanted a fun, lusty book with a little bit of my favorite fairy-tale thrown in. But as I began to read the book, I became more and more disappointed.
The characters are disjointed, unrealistic and unlikable, writing is also disjointed, one minute a character is right next to someone and then he's all the way across the room in the next. The dialogue is even worse, it seems that the author simply throws in old fashioned words at times and expects it to pass as historical accuracy. The author also cheats her way out of a technical problem with one of the characters simply saying "I lied. Ta-da!"
To any discerning reader, who is used to period pieces such as Pride and Prejudice, North & South or Vanity Fair, this book is almost agony. I would recommend reading "Heart's Blood" by Juliet Marillier instead. Better concept, more issues addressed, better writing, deeper characters, historically accurate, just a little less sex.
Hope that cleared a few things up. Good luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars What an emotional roller coaster, but I want to go again!, January 25, 2011
I read the excerpt for this novel online and was ready to be charmed by the book, but I had no idea I would fall in love with two wonderfully written characters. I won't go into a story plot outline, that can be found everywhere, but I will suffice to say I enjoyed the witty dialogue and medical "hospital" setting. Piers, the Beast, is a 19th century Dr. House with a closet of skeletons to deal with, a Welsh Castle full of sick people, a double-dipping butler and an unwanted fiancee', Linnet, the Beauty. Add into the mix his long estranged father, the Duke- his mother, whom the Duke divorced - and many persons with various maladies, plus other doctors in residence studying with Piers and you have a book full of fun!
Piers and Linnet (an intelligent beauty) verbally spar from the first moment, a writing tool when done correctly is enjoyable, but here it is sublime. It is a romance with the requisite amount of hot love scenes, but it is also funny and sweet and well done. I enjoyed the ending, since I always like epilogues that give me a glimpse into the future lives of the characters.

SPOILER****

E. James names two of the doctors studying with Piers at his castle hospital Kibbles and Bitts...LOL.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Gimmicky.... Spoilers (sort of), July 5, 2011
While I admire the skills of Eloisa James, I did not consider this to be a good example of her abilities. The cutesy names for the characters (Kibbles and Bits, etc) and overt use of the "House" persona (right down to the cane) were distracting and removed me from the story. Just when I thought I might be able to ignore the fact that much of the dialogue was far too modern for the time period, we're hit with the tired line "What happens in Wales stays in Wales". I am SO tired of this line. I rolled my eyes when Julia Quinn adopted it for the title of one of her books - its use here was simply annoying. By the time the "Cuddy" reference was used, I had had enough. I finished the book because several reviewers here claimed the ending was beautiful and emotional. I kept waiting for the big moment to hit....and nothing. Perhaps, by this point I was so far removed from the story that it simply wasn't going to work for me. By the end I found the heroine to be shallow and insipid ("I'm not pretty anymore!")and the hero was arrogant and obnoxious (I LOVE Hugh Laurie as House, but Piers channeling an anemic House simply fell flat). James admitting at the end of the book that she essentially swiped the House persona for her character made it slightly less egregious, but it was still irritating. To those of you who enjoyed this book, kudos to you. I am happy you were entertained. Judging by the reviews here, I am in the minority, but this just did not work for me. Ms. James, please develop your own characters for future titles. Plsthx.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY IT. WASTE OF MONEY! GO TO THE LIBRARY AND CHECK IT OUT! IF YOU WANT TO READ IT!, February 21, 2011
The heroine is a dumb blond. The hero is one of those jerk doctors that you wonder how they continue to have patients come see them. His bedside manner leaves something to be desired. Except when Linnet gets Scarlet fever. He is so attentive to her that you want to believe he has fallen in love with her, and that he's just been acting the jerk all this time! I felt that this book had too many characters and interference. These two had barely any time to themselves! Its a wonder that they even found enough alone time to do the dirty deed as many times as they did before she got sick. I mean, between her father and aunt, his dad and wayward mom, the men his mom was all flirty with, the butler, (OMG) his patients!...his cousin, the other surgeons, the freaking nurse! I kept skipping past all this dialogue and descriptive prose, all by these OTHER people! It was all just...too LOUD! Loud noise. And, I don't ask for much from romance novels, except that they be engaging! I mean, how are two main characters supposed to get close and win over reader's hearts, if the readers rarely get to see them alone!

Alright, I digress. By the end of the novel, I had basically, well...stopped caring about the heroine. There is no other way to put it. I saw that she got well and when she got better, she started to push the good doctor away. Huh? Yeah, all book long she kept trying to convince the stupid man he was in love with her and finally, finally, after a near death fever--from which the stupid man brings her back from the brink--she turns him down because she's sure he wants to be with her out of pity! Really? Really! Give me a break! This book has too many negatives that outweigh the positives. If you are looking for a good adaptation of the old tale of Beauty and the Beast, I suggest a truly great version in Teresa Medeiros's, The Bride and the Beast! Love that book! This one, however, was tossed in the trash at work! I had high hopes for this book since I do love a good beauty and the beast story line. But because it severely flailed, it has not made me any more curious about the author's other books. Sorry, Eloisa James, I am not a fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars No Magic, January 29, 2011
Jessantonia (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This story does not have the magic that captured me like A Kiss At Midnight. I think the book started off slow, we get all these uncessary chapters before Linnet and Piers finally meet but once they do meet finally the book picks up and I enjoyed it until the scarlet fever epedemic and it does downhill from there.
SPOILERS
First of all, I was already not liking how her father let her go unchaperone with the Duke and how her aunt actually encouraged her to lose her virginity to someone else... what time period are we in!? I dont care if shes already ruined, where are peoples dignity?
Although I only seen a handful of episode of House, I immediatly saw him in Piers - Doctor who walks on a cane with a bad temper but that didnt bother me, I actually like that but when his temper gets the best of him and how he tells Linnet to leave was just cruel!
And then the Duke (Piers Father) lets her go back to London alone!? In the middle of an epedemic at that! I was so upset, again, what time period is this? Ok so the Duke wanted to be with his ex-wife but he was duty bound to take Linnet back! And then Linnet gets sick (With Piers after a week finally taking notice that she might not be well) and all of a sudden she changes her mind about wanting to marry Piers because she no longer feels beautiful. What a hipocrite!
This book felt like a modern soap opera but trying to put it in the 19th century. It didnt work for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great core romance, with too much plot manipulation, July 23, 2011
I haven't had much luck with Ms. Jame's novels, but had to give this a try based on the reviews. At the core of it, it was a really good romantic historical novel, but in the execution of it, too many things are just plain campy and over manipulated by the author. I almost gave up in the beginning because it starts with the absolute ridiculous, but as soon as our hero and heroine get together, things smoothed out nicely.

Lynette Thrynne could easily be the most beautiful woman in England, but it's not going to dig her out of the scandal she finds herself in. After a prolonged flirtation and casting off from a prince, combined with an unflattering dress, the ton believes Lynette is a pregnant trollop. Of course, none of it's true, but the damage is done, so her aunt and father, who are irredeemable, scheme to save her by sending her off to Wales to marry a bad tempered Earl with no prospects for marriage. When she meets Piers, the Earl of Marchant, he's as bad tempered a beast as everyone says he is, but Lynette handles him just fine, provoking word, for provoking word and it appears the two really are made for one another. The only problem is prospects for marriage were never Pier's problem. Piers carries the weight of the world in hatred and anger for his father and the fact that his father is the one to find Lynette only makes the situation worse. As Piers and Lynette spend time with one another, Lynette turns his life upside down and he struggles between wanting her and not wanting her, with the caveat that no one else can have her either.

The relationship and scenes with Piers and Lynette are fun, witty and sexy. I could take or leave the supporting characters with the exception of Sebastien, Pier's cousin, who was wonderful and should have his own novel. Lynette's aunt and father are completely ridiculous, but since they're only in the beginning, I was able to let it go, although I almost stopped before I even got started. The greatest disappointment is the emotional baggage contrived to keep our main characters apart. I understand that every novel needs a tension building obstacle to battle, but the "I must never marry" attitude overcome by the epiphany of love is simply overused. This follows along those lines, but I have to say, this ending was absolutely riveting, emotional and very satisfying. I truly did enjoy this story, but from such an acclaimed author, I guess I was hoping for something more substantial than heroes who hold grudges for more than half their life. On the flip side, the heroine was fantastic and accurately calls Piers on his childish behavior and doesn't give him an inch in the pity department. I will likely try more of her novels, but my favorite authors for historicals remain McNaught, Kleypas, Garwood, Quick and Quinn.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, April 19, 2011
S. Lurie "spl" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The book had moments for me, I didn't mind it was a tried and true story told in another way, but when she wrote "What happens is Wales, stays in Wales" she lost me. I was very disappointed in being taken out of the story. I find it lazy.

1.0 out of 5 stars A beastly tale, February 1, 2011
"Beast" is right. This book had two totally beastly leads. The romance, which you read a book like this for, was totally unappealing just because the characters were so obnoxious. In fact, I disliked the two leads so much that I was moved from my lethargy to write this review in the hopes that I could save others from wasting their precious time with this totally unlikable book. I have no desire to read anything else from Ms. James catalog, unless my only other reading option is a remote control manual.

Rate and Discover Movies