To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
When Blood Calls: A Shadow Keepers Novel Mass Market Paperback – August 31, 2010
Books with Buzz
Discover the latest buzz-worthy books, from mysteries and romance to humor and nonfiction. Explore more
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
“A red-hot page-turner!”
—New York Times bestselling author Kresley Cole
About the Author
More About the AuthorsDiscover books, learn about writers, read author blogs, and more.
Top Customer Reviews
- Great world building. Lots of great creatures that are explained pretty well and intrigue me. The Alliance, PEC, just great Urban Fantasy writing - I WANT to live in that world - hint of danger makes it all the more fun!
- Intricate justice system for the "other" world with its own rules - rock on as this is unique! This is as much legal proceeding as police procedural but neither of these gets very deep. It's the overall way justice is handled (including what Luke does) and the intricacy of the system that gets the marks here - sublime - loved it.
- Nice surprising plot twistiness - bang up job mate!
- The last 85 or so pages carry the weight of the novel. The writing is such that this actually works but I canna tell a lie - it was enough to save the book from my "DNF mediocre pile" to my "wish list the next in the series pile". So bravo - that really doesn't happen too often.
- Although not heavy on action what does exist is suitably gory - thanks for not vampwhimping out on us there Beck
- The lustful scenes do not overwhelm the story. I'm almost willing to give a whole star for that. I like me some hot lustiness BUT in this novel too much would have staked it dead (pun intended)
- Daemon's inside a vampire that really are the vampire but that the vampire controls - hmm now where have I heard that one before....
- Great world building - far too intricate in many places - for the first 1/2 of the book I could barely keep the main characters straight. Nicknames (Lucius = Luke) did not help either.Read more ›
I think what made this book so darn dissapointing is that it is NOTHING like what i had expected. Now I understand that it can be difficult to write something new for vampires but still this was a total let down. Because of the type of reader I am I will often wait til all three books in a three month series are released to read them. Oh how I wished I would not have waited. This book frustrated me more than any romance novel should... And here is why:
Despite trying to suspend or heighten the romance and create a connection between protagoninsts, I really didn't give a damn about either one. Luke/Lucious (a point to be brought up later) was yes a mercenary with a good heart but he murdered his ten year old daughter and that just never sat well. Sara was just so incredibly boring and though she was lauded for her conviction and ambition as a lawyer I didn't see it... at all.
The author spends alot of time introducing characters (Nick, Luke, Serge, Hasik, Tariq, Caris, Doyle, Severin, Bosch, Martella who were all in repeated scenes to name a few) and names (at which time you never knew which nickname or which of the characters first or last name the author was going to use) and situations (without a hell of a lot of introduction or background). All of which is confusing for a reader just starting out, I mean don't dumb it down but for craps sake calm it down a bit. I spent so much time having to pause and remember just who, what and where was going on, it was ridiculous.
This is not new for vampires, alot of terminonlogy is borrowed from other paranormal romance authors. There is a ton of poorly described trolls, ogres, poltergeists and pretty much all characters in general.Read more ›
This book was a start to a new paranormal series. It was an OK start, but I probably won't read the rest of the series. Why? I'm glad you asked.
1) I love paranormals. But this story was a little dark. I'm referring to the child murders in the story. I could have really skipped over the parts where little girls were being murdered and screaming.
2) There's a LOT of characters in this story. It was very hard to remember who was who. I certainly forgot what their purpose was in the story.
3) The heros name was Lucius. At some point in the story, she started calling him Luke. No one bothered to explain that they were the same person, and I spent a few minutes trying to figure out who this new character was.
4) The overall description of characters was a bit cryptic. Actually, it would have been nice to have a vision of what the female character looked like. What color was her hair, anyway? This was a readers initial entry into a new world. It would have been nice to have some clear views of the world, instead, new beings just popped up all over the place. Griffons, ghosts, weres of various animals, vampires and too many more beings to list.
5) Romance novels are fiction, and paranormals take the fiction to an entirely different level. Yet, this story REALLY stretched the imagination. The paranormal team brought in a human (and a newbie) to prosecute a high profile vampire case... ok.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Started a little bit differently it would be a four. I started but stopped reading at least four times. I'm glad I read it though. I will read the rest of the series.Published 13 months ago by kindle customer
It took me at least til chapter 5 to get the full idea of what was going on but after that it was a great story. Interesting, different and kept me intrigued.Published 22 months ago by S. collins
Book 2 sounds like it will also be a good story. Some explicit sex, but not where it over shadows the plot.Published on December 31, 2013 by DAJS
Well written and well imagined supernatural meets everyday world. Think Men in Black meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I can see this is the start of a great series.Published on November 19, 2013 by Claire
Actually this is the second time I've read this story. I still really like this first one. Love Luscious/Luke! Read morePublished on August 31, 2013 by BLH
For those that follow this writer... there is a following for all writers and their work.
I just wont be one of them here. Read more
This book makes you think your reading about vampires, then has a twist to it. Really like it. Couldn't put it down..Published on July 9, 2013 by Reader sha