When will The Civil War by Ken Burns on Blu-ray be released?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2010 12:45:12 PM PDT
K. Homan says:
I think all of landscape shots of the actual locations in The Civil War will be even more beautiful and awe-inspiring on Blu-ray.

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 5:38:53 PM PDT
Give PBS time. Not everything gets released on Blu Ray. So far the only shows on our man Ken's resume to go blu ray are National Parks and 10th Inning (coming out next week). They actually were gonna reissue an all blu copy of all of Baseball, but changed their minds. Give them time, when it happens, it happens.

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 11:55:34 PM PST
J. Allen says:
The only difference is that strange artifacts will appear in the footage. The series was originally intended to be displayed in NTSC; DVD remastering is a stretch for the source material... Blu-Ray would be a farce. Higher definition isn't always a blessing.

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 2:20:43 PM PDT
James Horlan says:
Leave aside Blu-Ray possibilities........why can't you buy this set new on DVD here? I mean of all the titles to be "out of print", so to speak. Especially given that next month the Blu's for Gettysburg and Gods and Generals are coming out (with longer cuts no less), which will make Civil War buffs and such look to their shelves for Ken Burns......and if it's not there, it can't be bought here. Weird.

That said, J. Allen makes a great point about the source material, I hadn't thought of that before.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 9:39:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2011 9:40:42 AM PDT
So far only 2 items on Kenny's resume have come out on blu and on the same day as the new release, 10th Inning and National Parks. From what I heard here on Amazon, the blu ray copy of 10th Inning was flawed and God knows how National Parks came out on it (the standard version is great). They were supposed to reissue the complete set of Baseball in blu originally, but just before the premiere of 10th on TV, PBS yanked it. If the stories about the blu copy of 10th are true, then it is good they did. My entire library is standard definition including all of Ken Burns resume which I include, his brother Ric's New York and Stephen Ives' The West in and they all look great as they are. Why fix what isn't broken?

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 2:16:45 PM PDT
By the way, J Allen, NTSC means Region 1. I think you meant to say it was meant for "standard definition".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 11:21:16 AM PDT
Considering that The Civil War was originally shot on film (IMDB lists is as on 35mm, Wikipedia states 16mm, which seems correct), and it has been shown theatrically, there is probably no technical reason it couldn't be remastered in HD/Blu-Ray. Remember, they took The World At War up to HD and it was made from 1969-73, long before HD was even a remote possibility. Not all aspects of it look good, especially the videotaped interviews, but what was originally on film is considerably improved. I'm guessing The Civil War would look pretty good on Blu-Ray, but considering the length of the film, it would be a massive project that I'm not sure PBS/Ken Burns wants to take the time/effort/money to do when there are other new projects still on his list.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 4:48:12 AM PST
The West screams for a blu-ray release I think

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 8:36:15 AM PDT
azyeoman says:
It is being released in the UK in HD/Blu-ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2015 1:36:10 PM PDT
Jeff says:
The original 16mm film copy has been digitally cleaned, color corrected, stabilized and enhanced. Not sure that they plan to do a blu-ray version, but the new DVD release should show real improvement in picture quality. The soundtrack which was monaural, has now been remastered into Stereo, and into 5.1 Dolby Digital with sound effect and musical enhancement. The dowdy looking DVD set that is on many folks shelves can now be replaced with a product that will look and sound much much better.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2010
Latest post:  16 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Civil War: A Film by Ken Burns
The Civil War: A Film by Ken Burns by David McCullough (DVD - 2004)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (1,730)