5.0 out of 5 stars Makes My Top Ten List
Published on October 9, 2005 by Eric Wilson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a Novel of Suspense, but a Religous Fiction Book
This book was an honest waste of my time to read. I hate saying that because I think books are amazing and worth the time, but the author relies on way too much deus-ex-machina to fix major plot holes.
Basically, the main character (who is quite obviously the author) prays her way through every plot problem and just waits for the answers to come to her. I have no...
Published 4 months ago by Raven Oak

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes My Top Ten List, October 9, 2005
Eric Wilson "author" (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
In "When the Day of Evil Comes," Dylan Foster, a psych professor, finds her career, her beliefs, and her safety on the line in this creepy thriller. The title and cover caught my attention, but the first chapter proved that Melanie Wells could deliver. Dylan comes face to face with a strange, pale, scarred man; her mother's engagement ring reappears from the grave; and the story takes off from there.

Throughout this chilling tale, Wells lightens the mood through her character's wry humor. I'd love to meet Dylan Thomas again in a sequel. She's strong and independent, yet susceptible to a bit of romance and spiritual wrestling. She's not religious, but she believes in a personal God. The biblical ideas presented here are clear and sound, without being too preachy. Some reviewers seemed to want more direct answers at the conclusion, while I appreciated the author's decision to leave some things for interpretation. Life isn't always black and white, easily defined, nicely wrapped in a box.

If you like Dean Koontz or Frank Peretti, you'll find a lot to like here. Yet this book stands on its own two feet, original, with a female perspective, and perfectly paced. I hope Melanie Wells is working on the next one, because "When the Day of Evil Comes" ranks as one of my favorite thrillers this year--and one of the best Christian thrillers ever.

***With some of the shady things I've seen in reviews recently, I must add: I've never met, communicated with, or received any compensation from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great suspense novel!, December 1, 2005
Dylan Foster is having a bad week. First, she meets an enigmatic stranger named Peter Terry with a hideous wound on his back who gives her an ominous warning of the future. Over the course of the next few days, she finds her job, her life, and finally her sanity in jeopardy as everything she's grown comfortable with in her life falls apart. She believes she's been targeted by a demon intent on destroying her, but what she can't understand is "why?".

What if you'd been marked for destruction by demonic forces? Author Melanie Wells tackles that question in her new novel, When the Day of Evil Comes. Borrowing in part from subject matter you'd expect to see from the likes of Stephen King, Wells creates a storyline that is at times creepy and depressing, yet always seems to rise above complete hopelessness. The character of Dylan is an enchanting woman with a sparkling personality. A psychology professor, Dylan's life seems idyllic until the day she receives two gifts: a beautiful necklace, and her mother's wedding ring-a ring that was buried with her mother years ago. Suddenly Dylan finds herself thrust into the center of a strange conspiracy to discredit her. Soon she discovers Peter Terry has been visiting others too-with terrible results.

The tension continues to build as Dylan is accused of impropriety with a student she hardly remembers. Before she can defend herself against the accusation, the student kills himself. As she finds out more about the student, she uncovers darker secrets from his family's past. Now she must find the truth about Peter Terry before he destroys her life completely. Who is this man who can inhabit people's dreams and wreck almost impossible destruction in their lives? And how did Dylan, of all people, become his newest target?

This was a thrill ride of a novel! Wells keeps the pace moving in this book. No time to get bored here, and even in the process of learning background on Dylan and her friends, she makes it interesting and not expository. She even gives some interesting insight on demons (the explanation for the hideous wound on Peter's back is thought-provoking and will give you one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments).

With a growth of Christian suspense on the market, When the Day of Evil Comes gives you something different and well-worth the read. It's a supernatural thriller with ominous overtones, but there's still a thread of hope dangling throughout. You can't be assured of Dylan's success (or even of her survival), but the ending leaves you satisfied while still wanting more. Wells is signed to three more novels in this series, so there's no doubt we'll be hearing from Peter Terry again soon. Just pray your life isn't the one he's targeted next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best First Chapter, Wonderful book, November 19, 2005
This book has the BEST first chapter I have ever read. It not only "sucks you in" but it "leaves you hanging" as well. The rest of the novel delivers as well. I love the main character's sarcastic wit and her struggles with her faith. I also love the way Christianity is portrayed in this novel...it is a living, breathing way of life, not a dead religion. Furthermore it is less about becoming saved and more about how to live your life once you are saved. I can't wait to read more Melanie Wells and I hope that these characters are carried through to many sequels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, two thumbs way up., March 11, 2006
Nightmares. Flies. Rotten egg smell. Suicide. Spiritual warfare. Whoa. And that's just the beginning.

It is summer in Dallas and Dylan Foster, a university psychologist, likes her life. Until she meets a strange man at a faculty picnic. Who is he and what does he want?

Matters worsen when she and all her coworkers receive anonymous gifts, a former student says she harassed him, and the engagement ring that should be on her dead mother's finger shows up once again. A friend of hers insists she has called and asked him out. What in Texas is going on?

Dylan's life is spinning out of control, but what can she do to stop it? The forces at work prove powerful and mysterious as she searches for clues to the mysteries surrounding her. Thankfully, she is told to pray and to put on her armor. Sage advice. As one of her friends says: "The good news is that as a child of the King, you're entitled to protection."

Will she find the inner strength to fight the spiritual battle she now admits she's involved in? Can she use her newfound knowledge to keep others from danger?

I can't say enough glowing comments about this novel. It proved suspenseful, exciting, funny and a little creepy, which gives it high marks in my mind. Wells handles this weighty subject matter perfectly, balancing seriousness with levity. I absolutely adored Dylan Foster's character. She catapulted herself into my reality and stayed there.

Bravo. I hope to see many more of Wells' works soon. Check out Book 2 in the Day of Evil Series, Soul Hunter, coming in May.

5.0 out of 5 stars Convincingly Written Fiction - Surprisingly Humorous, September 11, 2006
When I purchased this book, I did so based on the recommendation of a credible book reviewer and an incredible writer: Eric Wilson (author of "Dark to Mortal Eyes" - "Expiration Date" and "The Best of Evil.") Otherwise, I may have dismissed it due to the title, concerned that it might be just another Christian novel in the genre of horror, out to make evil titillating. I was more than pleasantly surprised to find that this book was quite humorous, yet simultaneously suspenseful.

As I was reading the book, I had to look for the fiction disclaimer, because I felt like I was reading a non-fiction account written by Bill Bryson. You may think it strange to relate this female author of Christian fiction to a secular male writer of non-fiction travel. If you are familiar with Bill Bryson's works, you know how he takes his readers on his travels with introspection and wry humor, poking fun at eccentric characters, primarily himself. In the same spirit, Melanie convincingly wrote in the first person, and she spent the majority of her time in the heroine's head, sharing her personal thoughts.

She pokes fun at her own quirky behaviors, most of which are driven by her Obsessive Compulsive "Inclination." She cleverly explains how she refuses to label herself with a "disorder." This "inclination" drives her to take indomitable measures to avoid getting her mother's thighs. Sure, the story includes a demon, but she even depicts this fallen angel with humor.

This is a fabulous book, as is the second in this series. I'm pleased when a first novel in a series has its own proper ending, and doesn't bait me to purchase the next work. Melanie Wells didn't leave me hanging off a cliff waiting for her second novel to be published, yet her first book flowed seamlessly into her second. This alone is worth 5 stars from me.

Melanie, if you happen to read this, I have two questions for you:

1. Your heroine's resume seems to mimic your own, how much of your story is actually fiction?

2. When will your third novel in this series be published?

Frank Klein 4th - FK4@KnowGrace.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely engrossing!, October 10, 2006
Prior to meeting Peter Terry, psychologist and professor Dylan Foster's biggest worries were dealing with her father's impending remarriage and the start of a new semester at college. However, Dylan's perspective endures a radical shift when she meets Terry at a faculty retreat. The encounter with the gaunt, white-skinned man with a deep, violent horizontal scar on his back leaves Dylan unsettled, but it's not until her well-ordered life begins to spiral out of control that she realizes the full scope of the role Terry is playing in her rapidly unraveling life. Soon Dylan finds herself inexorably drawn into a decades-old web of violence and tragedy, weaving the threads of her life with struggling college students and the dangerous patriarch of a wealthy Chicago family. Demonic warfare has turned her life upside down, and Dylan must scramble to save her life and salvage her career while taking her faith in God to a deeper level in order to survive. The spiritual armor of Ephesians chapter six becomes more than just words on the page to Dylan -- they're her battle plan for survival.

I packed this novel in my carry-on for my trip to Chicago last week. In spite of a forty-five minute delay taking off and the flight itself, the time absolutely flew by -- I couldn't put this book down. This is the best novel I've read in quite some time that deals with the issue of spiritual warfare -- in fact, I'd say it stacks up with the best of them, including classics like Frank Peretti's Piercing the Darkness and This Present Darkness. I loved how Wells' focused on Dylan's perspective (as opposed to giving the reader a demon or angel's point of view), particularly her view of the supernatural occurances she encounters. Dylan's character is oh so very real. Wells deals with heavy subjects throughout the novel, but balances these with wonderfully light touch as seen in Dylan's self-deprecating sense of humor. I absolutely loved the hint of a romance between Dylan and the small-town funeral home director (who is just happens to be hilarious). When the Day of Evil Comes is one of those books that has it all -- fast-paced action, crisp dialogue, well-developed characters, and nail biting suspense balanced with a dash of humor. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicting!, October 19, 2006
I had never heard of Melanie Wells before I read this book, and now I'm a huge fan. If you like fast-paced, engrossing mysteries with a supernatural twist then this book is for you. I love stories told in the first person and Wells pulls this off with ease. Dylan Foster is a smart, witty character and I felt like I was walking along beside her on the journey to uncover hidden secrets in her life.

Dylan Foster is a psychology professor in Dallas, and she has to come to grips with some strange things that have recently happened: everything from dead men talking, to a fly invasion, to a suspicious suicide of a former student. In her search for answers, Dylan also finds more questions, and soon she finds herself in Chicago trying to make sense of it all.

Wells uses her background in psychology to write what she knows, and it really pays off. Dylan Foster and all of the supporting characters are authentic and believable. I love the way that Wells gives enough answers to give you closure, but leaves enough questions to bring you back. Melanie Wells is one of the best new voices in Christian fiction, and I can't wait to read more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read!, August 26, 2005
Melanie Wells' book cover for When the Day of Evil Comes promises suspense, and this page turner delivers what it promises. Free-spirited psychology professor Dr. Dylan Foster forces herself to attend a faculty picnic in Austin, Texas. There she comes face-to-face with demon, Peter Terry, and her life literally becomes a living hell.

It begins when the wedding ring her mother was buried with shows up without explanation. Add to that the stench of rotten eggs and hoards of black flies infiltrating Foster's immaculate home. Now you've got the beginning of a spiritual battle that takes Foster from Texas to Chicago and back as she fights to regain her professional reputation, her personal life, and her sanity. This nail-biter will keep you awake as you wonder how much more Foster can survive.

Armchair Interviews says: If you've ever wondered, "Why me?" when something went wrong, you'll want to read this book to discover answers, Powerful Answers from above.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Storytelling, February 23, 2006
With "When the Day of Evil Comes" Melanie Wells has accomplished something that many authors who have written many more books than her have not done-and that's writing a good and enjoyable story. I am a big fan of Ted Dekker, Robert Liparulo, Frank Peretti, and numerous other suspense and classic authors. I should start by saying I was very drawn to Wells' prose, it has a very `story-teller' quality to it that is hard not to like. The main character (Dylan) is very interesting and likeable, and most of the other characters work fine as well.

However, on the cover of the book is written "A Novel of Suspense", and most hardcore suspense/thriller readers might be a little let down if this is the only reason you pick the book up. To me it seemed more like a mystery with a strong influence of suspense inside of it-there are no murders other than those we "hear" about, and no `jump' scenes. The spiritual warfare at times is intense, but is never that overbearing, and thankfully does not dominate the story. However, before I leave you thinking this wasn't spooky--the parts with Peter Terry and Gavin later in the book were without a doubt very creepy, and even had me looking over my shoulder.

This is a Christian novel, a fact that Wells does not shy away from-though she is not to overbearing there either, not that preachy at all. So, if you like good storytelling from the first person point of view, don't shy away...When the Day of Evil Comes. I will definitely be one of the first to buy the sequel, Soul Hunter, as I already miss not having Dylan around!

5.0 out of 5 stars When The Day of Evil Comes (Dylan Foster Series # 1), February 19, 2010
I loved this light mystery suspense novel from begining to end. I loved the quirky not so perfect Dylan Foster who was disorganized & indecisive. She obsessed & worried; had weak faith & prayed when all else failed. She did know who to ask for help & when. This was a different & fresh novel. I always enjoy reading about ameteur sleuths. I am looking forward to reading book 2 & 3.