5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Christmas Story
Cheyenne Christensen is at home in Whiskey Creek. It, and her friends there, offer the stability she never had as a child. Her dying mother is cold and demanding; her older sister unstable and an on-again, off-again drug user. Cheyenne is the rock of her family, but it seems she's a stranger.
Dreams of a kind and beautiful blonde-haired woman, pretty dresses and toys...
Published on October 23, 2012 by Tooncesmom

2.0 out of 5 stars Really?
Published on January 2, 2013 by avid reader

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Christmas Story, October 23, 2012
Dreams of a kind and beautiful blonde-haired woman, pretty dresses and toys assail her, but her family tells her these are figments of an over-active imagination.

When best friend Eve announces she's setting her cap for the man Cheyenne has secretly loved for years, Cheyenne discovers an attraction to the town bad boy Dylan Amos the type of guy she's avoided all these years. But is Dylan really as bad as she's heard or might there be a side to him she's never explored?

Book two in Brenda Novak's Whiskey Creek series reacquaints readers with the wonderful characters of When Lightning Strikes and her prequel novella When We Touch. Yet, this story only lightly touches on the larger cast of characters. This is about Cheyenne and Dylan, who turn out to be delightful protagonists with baggage. As Cheyenne takes pleasure in Dylan's charm, she discovers things about both of them. And the reader discovers one smoking hot hero.

Well paced, with a familiar homey setting we all wish for, When Snow Falls is a perfect Christmas story that will have you waiting for the next book in the series. Whether her books are series romance, relationship stories or edgy romantic suspense, the multi-talented Brenda Novak doesn't disappoint.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really?, January 2, 2013
This review is from: When Snow Falls (A Whiskey Creek Novel Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I really wanted to like this book... the premise and characters were fine but there were just too many "really?" moments. In ways it felt like there were portions of the story that were missing. Chey talks to Dylan for the first time (and it was brief!) and yet she knows his cell phone number when she calls later? She's 31 and never moved out of her abusive mother's house? She had a crush on a man for 17 years, yet when he finally asks her out she's not interested? She's a 31 year old virgin who decides to finally lose it on a one night stand? It was just too much to overcome for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Whiskey Creek, October 25, 2012
BeMa (Sticks in Maine) - See all my reviews
I love Brenda Novak's books. I especially enjoy the Whiskey Creek series. I feel like I know the characters and the town. When Snow Falls is just another great read by Brenda. I'm not crazy about people going in to too much detail on a book review. I want to discover things myself. Wth some authors their books are a sure thing and that is how I feel about Brenda's....enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Whose story is this?, November 30, 2012
I so loved the novella and first book in this series, but this book fell way short of the others. I kept reading the description for the book because as it turns out, we're not introduced to Dylan, the hero of the book, until Chapter 9!!! I was really convinced this was going to be Cheyenne and Joe's story. That would have been a great progression of the series since book 1 was about Joe's sister. I didn't find the romance of Dylan and Cheyenne believable at all, especially given the long, slow set up of Cheyenne, Eve, and Joe. It felt like she was writing one story, then decided to change course and write something else.

I think this series has a lot of potential. The problem I see is that way too many characters have been introduced and way too many future books have been set up, but do not appear to be anywhere near to being written and/or published. I would expect the next books to involve Presley/Aaron, Joe, or Eve, but instead the next two books involve none of them as the main characters. Instead, each book is going to introduce even more new people. So much is mentioned, hinted at, and touched on, but it is both overwhelming and frustrating because answers are not forthcoming. This book also included Kyle Houseman from the novella that began the series, but while they hinted he's divorced, no detail around what happened and no update on Olivia, the lead of that story. Given the open ending of Presley and Aaron's story, I'm curious when that will ever see closure.

Maybe after a few more books this series will find its rhythm, but until then for a small town series, I would recommend Susan Mallery's Fools Gold series before this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put It Down!, November 13, 2012
Maddy (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Brenda Novak's latest in her new Whiskey Creek series is a spellbinding tobaggan ride that grows in speed and complexity the longer you ride--I mean read! She never goes for the quick and easy payoff. Every story thread is woven into a beautiful and surprising tapestry that will remain with you long after you close the book. Each resident of Whiskey Creek--many of them childhood friends now in their early 30s--is developed into a unique and interesting character. I can't wait for the next "installment!"

1.0 out of 5 stars Unlikeable, emotionally stunted characters, August 22, 2013
I rarely write reviews but was so disturbed by this book I have to share . I've read many books in this genre but have never met a main character that was so self-centered, immature, and thoroughly unlikeable. I had to keep reminding myself she was supposed to be 31 years old. Her thought, speach and social interactions more suited to a mid-teen. After all these years of waiting for the right man she gives her virginity to a man she's ashamed to be seen with just to see what sex is like, then can't wait to tell her best friend about it. Really? She has some serious codependency issues. The hero's lack of confidence and self-respect is far from appealing and the interactions among the rest of the characters were extremely immature for a large group of 30-somethings. They suffer from apathy and a seeming lack of purpose or direction leaving them self-focused, shallow and most often paralyzed by social fears. The characters were just too unlikeable and emotionally stunted, especially the heroine. I usually give an author two books before I move them to my 'do not buy' list but this book was so painful I can't face another by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Yet Cozy, December 20, 2012
This book helped me through the first half of a challenging holiday season. When my real-life nail-biter situation of 2 friends in the hospital woke me in the middle of the night last night, I read When Snow Falls under the covers with my flashlight so as not to wake dear hubby. The combination is perfect:

Compelling page turner
Cozy white Christmas
Good and not-so-good but very realistic characters

I love Cheyenne. I feel like I would make every decision Chey makes and feel every feeling that Chey feels, if I were in her circumstances. One time, after she did something, she said, "That was so colossally stupid." I love that line! I could see myself doing that very thing and then slapping my forehead and saying that.

There's a juicy twist, partway in, that I didn't see coming at all!

All that and a satisfying end. Who needs whiskey when you can have Whiskey Creek?

Thank you Brenda Novak!

3.0 out of 5 stars When Snow Falls by Brenda Novak, October 5, 2013
Christina T. (Iowa United States) - See all my reviews
While I maintain that I really love this series I have to admit this is my least favorite book so far.

What Worked: Oh darn, for the life of me I can't think of anything that worked in this book yet despite the issues I had with it I still enjoyed reading it. It could be Novak's way of writing. She is my new go-to comfort read author. Her style is non-taxing and very enjoyable for me. The group of friends that make up our Whiskey Creek experience is an interesting dynamic and I'm now pretty attached to them so I need to read all of their happily ever afters.

What Didn't Work: Oh darn, where do I start? Let's start with the inconsistencies of Cheyenne herself. For one, I have issues with a 31 year old virgin (Um really?) who is saving herself for someone special but has sex with a stranger for no better reason than...well, I don't even know why....because he propositioned her, I suppose. (Disclaimer: Cheyenne knew OF said stranger but didn't really KNOW said stranger.) Throughout the book, her character's virtues are shoved down our throats yet she A) does naughty things with a man she doesn't really know, B) when it becomes apparent the stranger has feelings for her and has for a long time (from afar) she uses him for sex and then basically tells him he isn't good enough for her (repeatedly) and C) covers up a potential murder. So, this girl who is supposed to be so much better than her part time prostituting mother and drug addicted sister has just as many issues as they do.

What else didn't work? The fact that Cheyenne wanted to date her friend's older brother forever and the book spends 100 pages pursuing this train of thought only to have it change course abruptly with the introduction of the hot bad boy (that Cheyenne does naughty things with).

Oh yeah, this also didn't work....The group of friends that I truly enjoy reading about has a nasty habit of exhibiting intolerance and very judgmental attitudes. In the novella, When We Touch, Gail tells Kyle he is making the biggest mistake of his life by marrying Noelle (yes it was founded but go with me on this journey anyway). In When Lightning Strikes, Callie tells Gail she is making the biggest mistake of her life (not founded since Callie had yet to meet or get to know Gail's husband). In this book it was Eve who informed Cheyenne that she was making the biggest mistake of her life (before getting to know the hot bad boy). Even Cheyenne says "Can't you just...support me even if I'm wrong?" The group of friends were even planning an intervention to stop Cheyenne from dating sexy bad boy.....With. Out. Getting. To. Know. Him. ARG!!!! (oh and by the way, I've read half of the next book and this same thing happens....again.)

One more thing that didn't work and then I'll wrap it up....Those nasty things that Cheyenne does with hot sexy bad boy that no one likes? We didn't witness any of them. Oh sure Cheyenne and her sex toy talked about the passion they had but we readers only see the old time movie "Fade to Black" scenes when they start getting busy. I'm not saying a romance has to have hot monkey sex in every book but a series really needs to be consistent. Since the first book and the novella do have sex scenes Novak really made an error to not include them in this one. It makes this book feel out of place within the series.

Ok I lied. This didn't work either....There were several different plot threads interwoven throughout this book with multiple different view points. This muddled the story quiet a bit because we were expecting Cheyenne's story to be primary, yet one of her plot threads was dangling through the whole book only to have it wrap up virtually 'off camera' while we focused on her hot mess of a sister.

In a Nutshell: Oh boy, sounds like a horrible book, doesn't it? It truly wasn't awful. However, it is a weak link in the series and I can only recommend that fans of the series read it because you can't read all the other books and leave this one unread. I ended up giving it 3.5 stars (rounded down for amazon.com purposes) only because I actually did like hot sexy boy toy Dylan. BUT, if you are a Novak newbie steer clear of this one it will only disappoint you, which will only lead to too many Oreos and the government shutting down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, December 21, 2012
I read any thing I can by Brenda Novak, I love all her series books be it Whiskey Creek or the Dunbee, Utah books. You will love her books as well. I read her books on mu kindel

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars ---- WOw, October 24, 2012
Thanks to the publisher, Harlequin, and NetGalley for the chance to read this early!

I loved Brenda Novak's Stillwater Trilogy and Last Stand series - so when I discovered she was releasing a new series I couldn't pass up the opportunity to give it a read - Each book in this series so far is standalone but, I recommend you start with the novella, When We Touch - it introduces you to Whiskey Creek. Then follow that up with When Lightning Strikes because you are not going to want to miss a moment with Simon & Gail.

Ms. Novak's reputation for world-building and depth of characterization shines brilliantly in this well executed small town romance. I eagerly awaited this book and boy was it worth the wait! The story picks up shortly after the end of When Lightning Strikes. Too bad the next installment, When Summer Comes, isn't releasing until early 2013.

The moment Cheyenne "Chey" Christensen entered Whiskey Creek she fell in love...with the town and Joe DeMarco. All these years later she is still in love with Whiskey Creek and her crush Joe hasn't lessened. Now her best friend, Eve Harmon, is infatuated with him - and even though it is killing her Chey is being supportive; not that Eve (or anyone for that matter) realizes the depth of Chey's feelings for Joe. After much encouragement Eve finally asks Joe out and, when he agrees Chey discovers she is torn between being happy for Eve and hoping the date is a disaster. However, it doesn't really matter, it's not like Chey has time for a social life, with all the other crap going on in her life: (1) her mother, Anita, is dying (2) her sister, Presley, is on drugs again (3) all of her friends are on going on a cruise leaving her alone for Christmas (4) the stress of managing the Inn's renovations...not to mention (5) the crazy dreams she keeps having about a blond woman.

Enter Dylan Amos, Whiskey Creek's #1 bad boy. He comes from the wrond side of the tracks and he's landed in hot water more times than he can count. He's exactly the kind of guy Chey's always kept her distance from; he is more Presley type. However, Dylan temps her like no other man has before; soon they find themselves caught up in a raw heat that's out of control. Too bad Dylan's not the only one interested in Chey...it seems that now (of all the rotten timing) Joe's discovers he wants Chey for himself.

There are so many AWESOME characters in this series that I hope inspire future installments. Between the remaining single friends in her group and the 4 SEXY...SEXY remaining Amos brothers there must be at least a dozen more installments.