Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: When I Feel Sad (Way I Feel Books)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 26, 2004
Not only is this a great book for older toddlers and preschoolers, but also it is a great reminder for grownups. My (almost) three year old and I read this together to help us BOTH remember how to behave when we get angry. Any parent of a toddler or preschooler knows that frustrating feeling when your little one does things only they can understand (like color on the walls with marker, dump EVERYTHING out of all of the drawers in their dresser, etc.). This book is a nice reminder to take deep breaths or take a grownup time out instead of yelling. What a wonderful opportunity for discussion, too. I highly recommend this book!!
on June 19, 2006
This book discusses anger, its causes, how it feels, and most importantly, healthy options for dealing with it. Anger can be overwhelming and frightening for anyone, and even more so for young ones will little experience regulating their emotions.

This book is empathetic "When I feel angry I want to say something mean, or yell or hit. But feeling like I want to is not the same as doing it." One of my favorite elements of this book is that it gives many options for dealing with anger, from

counting to bike riding to walking away, and from being assertive to taking a nap, and from handling the problem independently to asking for help.

I work in a classroom full of 3, 4 and 5 year olds, and kids sometimes call each other names, often grab things from one another and often would rather keep playing when the "clean-up" signal is given. This book is relevant to preschoolers.

The last sentence I wish was a mantra for us all. "When I feel anrgry, I know what to do!"
on March 19, 2011
I chose this book to help my niece and nephews cope with their daddy's long-term visits to cancer clinics; his cancer became very aggressive just after I ordered it, and it ended up arriving just two days after his death. Later that week, the kids were having a hard day, and we all snuggled on the couch for some story time. I was amazed at how well the little ones (4 and nearly 3) identified with the emotions displayed by the book's characters. By the end of the book, the children were smiling and ready to play independently.

The gentle artwork is really lovely; the book walks through multiple situations that might spark feelings of sadness, but does not wallow at any point, and has a satisfying conclusion: even though I am sad for awhile, I don't have to be sad forever. The coping techniques shared in the book are easily followed by any young person (and are great ideas for grown-ups, too!), and because the artwork is so clear, even non-readers can "read the pictures" and walk themselves through to a feel-better conclusion.

I'd recommend this book for children in the 2 to 7 set; it could be pretty easily read independently by solid young readers, too. Even if your family has not had a significant emotional loss, I'd recommend it for intelligent emotional learning.
on April 11, 2004
This book is very helpful in teaching kids about anger. It is a nice discussion to have with young kids. They often feel relieved that someone is willing to talk to about it especially if they have anger problems.
on August 27, 2007
She loves the "When I Feel" series - These are the only books she picks out of the plethora of books to choose from. When I read to her and turn pages, she will have me stop at a particular page (when they lose something valuable to them), she says, "Oh, kiss" - gives a kiss then "big hug" - leans her body towards the character pretending to hug him. Very cute (hard to explain via text). She actively tries to console me when I pretend to be sad as a result of reading this book.
on May 5, 2014
I frequently enjoy reading children's stories when the world seems too confusing or scary. I enjoy remembering how I learned so many things that seemed puzzling or scary, but now are so easy that I hardly think about what I am doing when I do them. I hoped that this story would be like that, but it was not. It is not much of a story. It was more like a little kid repeating what his or her parents told the little kid was the right thing to say or do. Some of the pictures were okay for talking to a kid about how do you feel when this happens and what do you want to do. And what else could you do. And do you think that would work better for you? All the good questions that parents try to remember when they want to help children figure out what they can do, when something happens that make them sad or scared or angry. So with an imaginative parent it could be a helpful book. But as a story it really does not work.
on May 24, 2000
I loved this book. The way the rabbit character looks when sheis angry is just the way I feel sometimes. I think this is a veryhelpful book for when you are feeling upset. It gives good ideas to make you feel better.
on January 12, 2008
This is an excellent series for children as young as 3. Good content, wonderful illustrations and good parent suggestions. My school system has decided to use them in our 4 yr. preschool classes.
on July 22, 2016
We just purchased quite a few of the "When I Feel" series. I wish I knew about them sooner. My 3.5yr old seems slightly too old for the repetition in this book and he gets bored of it. However, he's getting the right messsage and he has been practicing the solutions in the book. I just wish we would have started it a year ago when he first started expressing the feelings covered in the book.Basically, the book covers "I feel angry when...." "When I feel angry, it feels like..." "These are the things I can do when I feel angry so I don't feel angry anymore". It's a great book! But I would recommend starting around age 2.
on December 15, 2005
First, I have to confess that I had different expectations about this book (I thought it may be about other feelings too, but it's only about anger). The examples seemed poorly chosen for my 3-year old, who, for instance, does not really know what it means for somebody to make fun of him or why the teacher may unfairly berate him for talking in class. The idea of teaching kids that sometimes we cannot control the situation that angers us is good, but again, the example (I think one in which a favorite team loses a game) wasn't great. In general, the text was abstract and the illustration carried the burden of exemplifying what the text described...

May be more appropriate for an older child.
11 comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse