5.0 out of 5 stars Stop Poking My Cocoon!
Published on June 28, 2001 by Funny Girl

1.0 out of 5 stars armchair spirituality
Published on May 7, 2011 by umlungu

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop Poking My Cocoon!, June 28, 2001
Funny Girl (Glendora, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When the Heart Waits (Paperback)
I may be writing this review a little prematurely, as I am only halfway through this book, however...I have already purchased additional copies for my friends. I have underlined, dog-earred and referred to various pages on several occassions. When the Heart Waits gives valuable insight into mid-life. It shares information as to the benefits gained in "being still". Waiting is not "doing nothing". It is both "passive and passionate". As many of us struggle with "what should I do next", often trying to make something happen. Sue Monk Kidd reminds us that everything is always taken care of, if we just stop pushing so hard. She talks about a caterpillar and her cocoon. If someone pokes a hole in the cocoon before it's time, the butterfly will emerge with un-developed wings, unable to fly. Take time with yourself and you WILL be able to fly!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for any life shift/painful/scary development or 'dark night' - NOT true about being only 4 traditional Christians, September 17, 2005
This review is from: When the Heart Waits (Paperback)
Don't let the various reviews' comments about being for mid-life crises and/or traditional Christians only put you off as I & friends of very different ages & life stages & challenges all found this book incredibly helpful & powerful & so wonderfully soothing - the perfect balm for any wounding or challenges or scary developments that might occur in life. Although her writing does include some Christian references, I was very impressed by the depth of spirituality and understanding she brings to it i.e. part of what makes the book so special is her bringing much greater depth of understanding and authenticity to what it's all about. I am so glad that her exquisite writing style in "the secret life of bees" made me look for more books written by her as I found this book infinitely more powerful and even more of a joy to read in every way. Note that although I loved the writing style and hence journey that unfolded in the "... bees" novel so much that she's one of the few authors I went to look for more books by, I didn't think her tale-spinning abilities were quite as strong as some gifted story-tellers. So I personally think her writing strengths and power of insights and understanding are infinitely better conveyed in this book than in "... bees". However, I'm glad she is writing novels also as those can hopefully open up a greater audience for the incredible power and depth of all she can share with us. She is definitely somebody I'd want to hear more from and feel blessed to have discovered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Needed, November 10, 2003
This review is from: When the Heart Waits (Paperback)
This book was a balm for my wounded forty-something soul, I have to tell y'all. I felt as if I've been stuck in a vortex since my youngest child graduated from college, got married and flew the coop a few years ago. All my life I thought I was looking forward to the day when my two daughters were grown so I could be 'free'. I'd heard of empty nest, of course, and poo-pooed it thinking it happened to women who had no lives but their children's....NOT! I still feel slightly lost, wounded and confused, but much better after reading this book. And the loss of your children is, indeed, a wound. They're alive and kicking, but gone nonetheless....and there's an emptiness there that you're not quite sure how to fill. This book gives you permission (and encourages you) to just sit and wait out this life passage. Thanks, Ms. Kidd, for your wonderful, beautifully written book. I encourge all of my mid-life age friends to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books for women in midlife transition, November 14, 1999
This review is from: When the Heart Waits (Paperback)
While this book is written from a Christian perspective, I recommend it to any woman I know who's struggling with any midlife crisis issue. Both intelligent and comforting, the book has no equal in this type of literature. While it never trivializes the subject of feeling lost or suddenly uprooted "in the middle of life's path", Kidd's book is amazingly down to earth and honest. It speaks to the heart. I loved the book so much, I keep checking back to see if the author has written more. Would love to see more of her work!

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG! What a Book, February 11, 2004
This review is from: When the Heart Waits (Paperback)
I thought SECRET LIFE OF BEES was good, this one outdoes it ten fold. I cried, I laughed...I learned. This memoir is full of painful and emotional depth...and so hard to put down. This book, as I stated before ranks up there with "BEES" as well as NIGHTMARES ECHO and BEAUTY FOR ASHES.
I am a Sue Monk Kidd fan from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing Book, September 13, 2003
Kara (Upland, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When the Heart Waits (Paperback)
I do not think one has to be a mid lifer to get the most out of this wonderful book! This book started me on my own personal spiritual journey, and I have not looked back. Sue Monk Kidd's honesty and her gift for stringing words together in a meaningful way moved me to buy the rest of her books. This one will always hold a special place in my heart however. I HIGHLY recommend this book and author.

5.0 out of 5 stars when the heart waits, September 24, 2005
This review is from: When the Heart Waits (Paperback)
This book is very good for alot of people who are wondering what to do with their lives and if their lives have meaning. Kidd wrote it as a 40-ish woman, but I am 70 and I found many insights that connected with me. I recommend it to anyone trying to figure out where they are and what life is for them.Jasmine S.

5.0 out of 5 stars A comforting friend for midlife upheaval of the soul., September 19, 1996
This review is from: When the Heart Waits (Paperback)
Anyone who is beginning to awaken to the passage of time, in particular, one's own life, will find a kindred spirit among the pages of this book. It's a wonderful companion for quiet musings, meditation or prayer. Sue Monk Kidd's sensitive detail and vivid recounting of her own dilemma's make this book a must read for any woman encountering the huge questions of life. Why am I here? What is my purpose? Who am I after all the hats are off

1.0 out of 5 stars armchair spirituality, May 7, 2011
This review is from: When the Heart Waits: Spiritual Direction for Life's Sacred Questions (Plus) (Paperback)
Have you ever read a hiking guide full of lyrical passages about sombre woods, majestic views and pretty flowers, but when you did the actual hike its useless? The writer neglected to tell you to fill up at the last water point before 3 miles of strenuous climbing up a hill in the sun. The writer mentioned flowers but not the misleading switchback that will get you off trail. Later your realize that the hiking "guide" was never written for people who actually go out and hike the trail, it was written for "armchair hikers", people who like to read about and imagine themselves on the trail.

When the Heart Waits is like one of those hiking guides. It is useless for anyone who is actually going through a spiritual crisis. It might be fun reading for a spiritual voyeur, someone who'd like to imagine the dark night of the soul without going through it, but it is not useful.

The entire narrative points forward to some momentous event that is going to resolve the author's spiritual crisis but nothing particularly happens and one day the author wakes up and feels better. It is not clear why. Maybe her anti-depressants kicked in. Maybe it was spring and her SAD went into remission. At that point the reader doesn't care anymore.

Instead I recommend The Sacred Romance: Drawing Closer to the Heart of God and The Journey of Desire : The Participant's Guide. Admittedly neither books focuses only on spiritual crisis but on the other hand they do map out a narrative of spiritual journey that includes spiritual crises and they write for people actually on spiritual journeys.

One reviewer suggested that those who do not self identify as Christians would not identify with this book. As someone who does self identify as a Christian let me assure that non Christians that the author's God is so remote from her narrative that He has no influence on it at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep and lovely, June 29, 2006
This review is from: When the Heart Waits (Paperback)
A deep and lovely book and a great help for all those who encounter a midlife crisis - professional, sentimental and religious - and find themselves mired in all kinds of doubts.

When the Heart Waits: Spiritual Direction for Life's Sacred Questions (Plus)
$13.99 $10.60