5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure!
I was moved to tears by Mara's story. It is told not only from the artist's perspective, but from the hummer's point of view as well, describing his 'out of bird' experience. :) I love hummingbirds and share my photographs of them in my Sedona Hummingbird Gallery. I adore this story. BKH
Published on August 12, 2011 by Beth K. Hawkins

2.0 out of 5 stars When Hummers Dream
A step above the others that I read by this Mara Purl but barely. Enjoyed the story but leaves you hanging and none of the others seem to be any different. Just rambles on about nothing. Another waste of time.
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure!, August 12, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little story, August 21, 2011
zhabazon (Washington DC area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When Hummers Dream (Kindle Edition)
I read this short story just before bed and went to sleep with a smile on my face. So many Kindle short stories offered for free are a disappointment, but When Hummers Dream: A Milford-Haven Story is a little treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Garden Imagery Through Words, August 16, 2011
This review is from: When Hummers Dream (Kindle Edition)
I loved the painting that you created through words of the garden. I could picture the positioning of every flower & plant. The description of the fuchsia "acrobat dancers hanging from ropes, skirts flying and blouses puffed up with air" was absolutely WONDERFUL and truly fit!

Thank you for sharing this free e-book. I look forward to the release of your hardcover "What the Heart Knows."

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful story, August 19, 2011
This review is from: When Hummers Dream (Kindle Edition)
I'm so glad that I read this story. What an uplifting experience it is, and such a lovely picture it paints in the mind's eye. As Miranda gets used to her new home in Milford-Haven, CA, when she goes out to sit on her porch or goes to paint in a garden, she either sees or feels a hummingbird pass by.

The painting that she does for the hummingbird that she cares for is the perfect backdrop for this little bird to recuperate in. The discouraging woman and her embarassed husband are no match for the love and care that Miranda has in her heart for the little bird and for life in general.

I think that I'm going to really love the books in the Milford-Haven series. I'm very much looking forward to the first one. It sounds like a delightful place to live and an even better one to read about.

Just about anyone should enjoy this short story.

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate little story...moving., August 22, 2011
This review is from: When Hummers Dream (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this for free, but it wouldn't have been a problem to pay for it. It is a short, little gem of a story. Glad I stumbled upon it. I read a lot I download for free, but almost never write about the books and stories. This one deserves your attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious writing and highly recommended~, February 13, 2012
This review is from: When Hummers Dream (Kindle Edition)
I have never before described any writing as "delicious", but honestly, I can't think of a better adjective to use in this case. I don't tend to enjoy books that have too much detail in the description of the locale or wardrobe of the characters or whatever. However, the prose here just feels like eye candy. I loved every minute as I read through this short story, and as a result, Ms. Purl has a new fan.

Although "When Hummers Dream" provides an introduction into the Milford-Haven series of novels, this short story can stand on its own. Right from the first pages, we meet artist Miranda and begin to see the world through her eyes. Actually, I think that is where the magic lies. For those of us that do not possess an artistic gift, this story allows us a glimpse into what that might be like. As she takes in her surroundings and begins to prepare to paint in her favorite garden restaurant, we the readers are ushered into her world and are allowed to experience it with her. When the hummingbird buzzes past, we can almost feel the breeze! Don't hesitate to buy this book -- you won't be sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dropped Me, December 31, 2011
This review is from: When Hummers Dream (Kindle Edition)
Didn't like the ending. Just bang and it was over. Very nice story line until the end. Wanted more of a continuance of a story. Over way too soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable book., July 5, 2013
H. R. Brostoff (california desert) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When Hummers Dream (Kindle Edition)
Easy light reading about an artist (painter) who lives by the ocean. She develops a relationship with Hummers. The descriptive passages are excellent giving one the ability to imagine the scenes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story!, December 28, 2012
This review is from: When Hummers Dream (Kindle Edition)
This was my first Mara Purl book, but it won't be my last. She has a gift of painting a picture in your mind, and as a hummer-lover I thoroughly enjoyed the story she painted. Great light reading!!

2.0 out of 5 stars When Hummers Dream, November 5, 2012