4.0 out of 5 stars A panorama of dreams
Published on March 19, 2010 by Martha J. Biery

3.0 out of 5 stars History and science in poetry~!!
When I Dream is children's book of illustrated poems.

A paperback book of 88 pages and beautifully illustrated by Christine Bennett.

There is a picture relating to each poem located at the front of each telling, stories such as, 'Little Red Rappin' Hood', which has great rhythm, 'Light', which explains the process of light, 'The Planets in our Solar...
Published on June 1, 2011 by Jennifer Chatham

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A panorama of dreams, March 19, 2010
This review is from: When I Dream (Paperback)
While reading these poems, I found myself dreaming right along with the author! The ideas expressed in the poems are so open-ended that I felt encouraged to make my own pictures as I read. In a world where we tend to paint pictures for our kids instead of letting them imagine, this book has the opposite effect. All of the poems should work well with kids because the poems express a jumping off point, not an ending point. I think the illustrations had exactly that effect - not too much information in the pictures so that there is room for the child to create his/her own visions elicited by the poems. This is a great book to use as a springboard for children who want to create their own poetry and their own illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, imaginative, and great for all ages!, March 23, 2010
This review is from: When I Dream (Paperback)
This book was so enjoyable to read not only for my 2 kids, but also enjoyable to me! The poems are witty and clever, and the illustrations that go along with it are creative and funky, but inspire imaginative thinking. My kids have wanted to read it over and over again! Great poems and part of the proceeds go to a scholarship fund. I don't regret buying this book at all and would HIGHLY recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars clever and witty collection, November 5, 2009
Melissa Crocker (indianapolis, in usa) - See all my reviews
what a wonderful book!
the poems themselves are modern yet timless. the illustrations are full of whimsy.
children young and old will enjoy the journey found in these pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and informative!, May 7, 2010
This review is from: When I Dream (Paperback)
I loved these poems and really enjoyed reading each and every one! These poems not only provide fun and adventure as you read them, but a lot of great information about our solar system, the sun, Galileo, Atlantis, camels, and much more! These poems would be a great addition or a great jumping-off point when introducing one of these topics to children. The illustrations were beautifully done as well (my favorite was "The Sun" - gorgeous!). Robin is a very talented author and we are lucky enough to have her coming to our school next month to share some of these poems with students - looking forward to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great children's book, May 4, 2010
This review is from: When I Dream (Paperback)
This is an excellent childrens book. It will keep the interest of a child and is a good teaching tool. The illustrations are beautiful and will grab a child's attention. The information in the stories is factual and in a catchy form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, May 13, 2010
This review is from: When I Dream (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading these striking poems about the algebra monster, space, light, radio waves, sun, universe and many more. These would be a great tool for teachers to bring fun into their subjects and also inspire the children to write their own poetry.
I liked how the author used a poem about Graffiti to make children see that there is always a better way; rather study art than painting on walls.
The descriptive poem on Atlantis would be my favourite; within one poem the reader can see what Atlantis looked like through the eyes of the author and form a good idea of what happened to the ancient city.

5.0 out of 5 stars When I dream, April 26, 2010
Travels of the Mind
WHEN I DREAM
BY
ROBIN LANDRY

Stories and myths are worthwhile whenever they carry inside themselves a deep truth.
In "When I Dream", the author transmits an educational message with rhymed verses.
Throughout this story children learn how important prudence is.
The story "Ima Princess and the terrible Dragon, teaches us how often we are afraid of things we don't know. The algebra is symbolized by a frightening beast; it burns Ima's brain. But once we learn the mathematic language, it does not threat us anymore, furthermore it is useful and important in our life.
Robin Landry easily finds ways to express the immensity of universe, the position of our planet in the solar system and in our Galaxy, the black holes, and the difference between weight and mass.
The stories and suitable for children and adults. Easy to read. They convey the reader in a surreal atmosphere, in another dimension where the soul or mind soars beyond the material world.
The universe and its mysteries is in the air which pervades the book.
Sometimes the scientific discovers contrast with religious beliefs. The author tells it in a vivid way how Galileo was obliged to abjure for not being burned at the stake.
Particularly educative is the story of the Atlanteans who believed to be the owners of the world, but they froze their hearts, they were so powerful that they thought to be like God, but doing like that the mighty Atlantis went down.
This book is for everybody, its language is universal.
Ettore Grillo Author of "Travels of the Mind"

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, May 16, 2010
This review is from: When I Dream (Paperback)
"When I Dream" is interesting, informative and engaging. It made me think even I could write poetry. Ms. Landry has shared her experiences in many different venues and broached so many topics that I was always engaged! This book spans the ages, young to old will find it a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for kids and kids at heart!, April 21, 2010
This review is from: When I Dream (Paperback)
Robin Landry's "When I Dream", is a wonderful book full of fun things to know that even adults can appreciate. Ms. Landry's knowledge of the earth and skies, and everyday life make this book "sing!" I read books to my child every single night, and I wish I'd had this book 18 years ago to read to him. A great book to buy or use as a gift for anyone who has children, grandchildren, or anyone who would like to gift their favorite school or library!

5.0 out of 5 stars So entertaining!, April 20, 2010
Kelsey Landry (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When I Dream (Paperback)
I started out thinking these poems were really fun and entertaining and then all of a sudden....I was learning! The artwork is fantastic, this book is great for all ages. A great way to start a conversation about your kid's education without them even knowing. I would highly recommend this book to anyone. My personal favorite is "Little Rappin Red"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

When I Dream
When I Dream by Robin Landry (Paperback - September 15, 2009)
$24.25 $20.63