5.0 out of 5 stars East of the Sun,but Soaring Higher than the Moon..oh Diana
When I first heard this CD ,I had a very limited knowledge and appreciation of Diana Krall.The exposure was limited to a couple of tracks on her tribute to the Nat King Cole trio,and her version of Danny Boy with the Chieftains,on the 1999 offering,Tears of Stone,but even then something attracted my interest...it was well placed.Diana's interpretations of these...
Published on August 22, 2000 by Lance G. Rigley

2.0 out of 5 stars Diana hides her light under a bushel
I saw Diana Krall and her trio at Blue Alley last summer. It was a GREAT performance. She sang "East of the Sun" and then she and the trio played , jammed for a half hour. Other songs ran 20 minutes to 30 and she would only sing at the begining of the songs. It was mesmerizing. On this CD, she sings the chourus of "East of the Sun" and all but leaves...
Published on June 25, 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love her, November 21, 2000
This review is from: When I Look in Your Eyes (Audio CD)
I can't listen to this CD enough! She has a beautiful voice

4.0 out of 5 stars When I Look In Your Eyes, March 6, 2000
This review is from: When I Look in Your Eyes (Audio CD)
After listening to this album, I couldn't help but remember Irene Kral. Irene was a not-so-well-known jazz vocalist from the 60's, sister of Roy Kral of Jackie and Roy fame. The selections and arrangements are similar to the ones found in Irene's albums. If you liked Irene you'll love Diana.

2.0 out of 5 stars Piano AWOL, January 1, 2000
jon mann (Portland Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When I Look in Your Eyes (Audio CD)
Diana Krall has enjoyed a good deal of popularity for a jazz musician. Understandbly, those who enjoy strings and jazz standards in a style that harkens back to Nelson Riddle and the various singers that he has arranged for, like this album. However, if you were impressed by the musicianship and playing of Miss Krall et al. from her earlier albums, her latest release will most likely be a disappointment. Given her talent, one has to wonder why Miss Krall doesn't take her money and prestige and cut a piano trio album without any singing -- just hard bop playing. We have seen many young pianists such as Benny Green, Junko Onishi, Fred Hersch, and Marcus Roberts nod in the direction of Monk, Ellington, Bud Powell, and other giants in their work; can Miss Krall rise to the occasion? What about an album featuring her musicianship? No one seems to have paid homage to Bill Evans -- perhaps someday she will lose the marketing people and just play jazz. It would be a shame if Miss Krall chose the road of George Benson. Too many real Jazz musicians have sacrificed the easy sell out, the recording contracts for promises of crossovers, and kept real jazz alive. Horace Silver, Joe Henderson, Sonny Rollins, McCoy Tyner, Cecil Taylor, Jackie MacLean -- all these living legends of jazz have continued to play bop when they could have sold out. It would be reassuring to see new talent pick up where they left off, if only for just one album.

1.0 out of 5 stars Where's the Captian???, June 21, 1999
This review is from: When I Look in Your Eyes (Audio CD)
Diana Krall's voice sounds like Tennille of the '70's duo, THE CAPTIAN AND TENNILLE.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes, let's face the music, March 1, 2000
This review is from: When I Look in Your Eyes (Audio CD)
I really wanted to like this CD--it got such great reviews. But maybe you have to REALLY love jazz music to enjoy it. Diana's voice is not extraordinary, but it is interesing. Natalie Cole's Unforgettable is a much better investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars When I Look In You Eyes, February 24, 2000
This review is from: When I Look in Your Eyes (Audio CD)
Outstanding! I love Diana Krall. But, here is an added comment. Her appearence at the Grammy's was terrible. What was that stupid trio thing? She should stick to her own styling and avoid being pulled into what others want her to do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks gone to her head??, June 17, 1999
This review is from: When I Look in Your Eyes (Audio CD)
Diana is clearly in love with herself on this new CD. We are completely innundated with her image on this new CD. And people think she's such a hot item right now. Gee, I wonder why. I think she's THE most overrated artist in the biz today. People are making such a fuss over this woman and I really don't see what's so "special" about her. Frankly, this CD shows her as nothing more than a conceited premadonna, who banks on her looks to get ahead in a competitive industry. I think it's tasteless and tacky and plain desperate. Her voice is OK, but again nothing to fuss over. She sings as if she just rolled out of bed and really does overkill on this raspy thing. One flirty, sassy, and sexy tune like "popsicle toes" or "peel me a grape" and suddenly she's a star. Please. It's really annoying and frankly disappointing to find out that someone who might have some talent is too concentrated on their looks. How many people actually KNOW who she is anyway? Yes, exactly. Don't waste your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jazz DIVA?, June 22, 1999
This review is from: When I Look in Your Eyes (Audio CD)
...please...I really hesitate to even use that word in the same sentence as Diana Krall. She's probably the most overrated jazz vocalist there is out there. Yes, she can play the piano, but we hardly hear it on this CD at all! Singing is rugged and lazy sounding, nonchalant, and the piano playing is so sparse...what's the point of even having it on this CD? It really appears as if she's wanting her "looks" to make up for her short-comings as an "artist". That's what it looks like. Probably just a marketer trying to make a buck. I personally think it's cheesy all the way round. These songs she does on "when I look...", she has this habit of trying to be reinventive by singing all the balads in a moderate tempo and all the moderate tempo songs as ballads to make it sound refreshing or something. Her style is nothing short of predictable and trite. Disappointing and a waste of my time. Sorry, I'm not impressed with her.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, it's OK I guess..., April 14, 2002
This review is from: When I Look in Your Eyes (Audio CD)
... I've given it many listens over several months, and I still don't get it. The problem is that it just doesn't sound very interesting!
To my ear it's performed and sung perfectly well but if you want to be moved there are many greater performances out there, be it in jazz, opera, classical, folk, or whatever. If you are considering buying this CD, you may love it like many others here, or you may find it rather dull.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Shania Twain crossover in the making, August 10, 1999
This review is from: When I Look in Your Eyes (Audio CD)
I think that the focus of Diana's music has shifted to her evening wear and latest hair styles. Not to mention those fabulous dresses of hers from Donna Karan as sited on her CD. She kind of contradicts herself on countless interviews where she stresses "It all a-boat the music" in her muffled Canadian speaking voice. After striking a pose with Vanity Fair, I see yet another Shania Twain crossover star in the making. I could bet money that her next CD will have much "pop" appeal. Maybe even a video to show off her new makeover. She don't impress me much.

When I Look in Your Eyes
When I Look in Your Eyes by Diana Krall (Audio CD - 1999)
Rate and Discover Movies