5.0 out of 5 stars A top pick for any fast approaching that next chapter
Published on December 11, 2009 by Midwest Book Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Higher Expectations !
Disappointing, given the title. Almost like reading a book about investments or growing/managing a business for wealthy individuals. Brief points about adjusting to retirement, but only a passing line.
Published 15 months ago by David M. Jenkins

5.0 out of 5 stars A top pick for any fast approaching that next chapter, December 11, 2009
This review is from: When I'm 64: Planning for the Best of Your Life (Paperback)
There's no reason to ever let age slow you down. "When I'm 64: Planning for the Best of Your Life" discusses how one should spend their retirement years, and hopes to push seniors to treat the last few decades as something the previous half dozen have worthily lead up to. Covering health, using one's time, and more, "When I'm 64: Planning for the Best of Your Life" is a top pick for any fast approaching that next chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Read, November 18, 2009
James Weil (Westport, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This is a unique book, first because it deals with the entire life course and not just life after 65, and second because of the wonderful way it gets its points across through storytelling.
Marvin operates on the premise that we shouldn't wait until 65 to start doing what we love, but back upstream to wherever we are on our life journeys and begin aligning all aspects of our lives with what we know and love. This means doing work we love and investing our assets only in areas we know and love. Marrying our time and money to our passions is the recipe for a rich and fulfilling life.
The book is philosophical and practical, funny, inspirational, and totally authentic. It's a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to this Sage, June 30, 2009
It is not often a highly successful person tells you when he did not win the race but still gained from the experience. Marvin Tolkin succeeded in many of his business ventures but tells how he lost in others. Tolkin inspires through his easy storeytelling style when taking risks, listening to others and moving on his own knowledge. I would recommend people in their 30's and 40's read this man's approach to planning for the years ahead using logic, fun and passion. After this quick read, I felt I knew Marvin Tolkin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Financial- and mental- preparation for your retirement, May 22, 2010
Deb Nam-Krane "dnkboston" (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The author was a successful lingerie manufacturer until he retired in his sixties. While some might be tempted to put the book down at this point- most of us don't own businesses, much less successful businesses- the author uses his interesting life story to illustrate his points about success, the necessity of failure, the importance of good relationships, risk, mavens, happiness and what makes for a successful retirement.

Many people have failed to adequately plan for their retirement, but the author argues that it's never too late. He goes on to say that the stereotype of the retiree playing golf and watching television until he or she dies is not only unrealistic- he makes the financial case for continuing to work at least part-time after retirement- but also unattractive. In his experiences, he has found that people who are not actively engaged in something that they are passionate about are the ones who will not only become less healthy but who will also die more quickly.

The crux of his book is the concept of "Marrying Time to Money". The phrasing might be a little awkward, but the idea is sound. Decide- preferably before retirement is on the horizon- what your interests are and design a retirement strategy that makes use of those interests. In this way, you won't just accumulate assets, you'll also be cultivating an avocation- or vocation- that keeps you engaged. In his case, the author successfully invested in art, coins and Faberge pieces.

The author spends just as much time- if not more- on his failures, particularly his inability to see that his company's most valuable assets were not his clothing business but his real estate holdings. Although the author is well-leveraged now, he would be considerably wealthier if he had made the necessary change at the right time.

The author had a happy life and is now living a happy retirement. This is not a get-rich-quick-in-the-twilight-years how-to, but rather a guide on how to maximize both your interests and your economic potential at the same time.

Easy to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Refreshing Way to Plan For Retirement, April 14, 2010
Marvin Tolkin has given us a new and refreshing way to look at and plan for retirement. Instead of thinking about retirement as "the rest of your life", he suggests that you think of it as "the best of your life."

Marvin offers a totally different way to look at retirement. Instead of taking the typical financial planner's perspective, he takes a holistic approach. Most financial planners are concerned with allocating resources among stocks, bonds and other investments. Marvin suggests that you plan for your retirement by investing in things that interest you. Stocks and bonds do not generally give you any personal sense of satisfaction. Collecting stamps, gold coins, art and other such collectables can offer a good financial investment as well as a personal satisfaction.

He gives some fairly good advice about alternative investments. Seek out and find experts. Take their advice. Focus on the higher end, more expensive products where there is likely to be higher demand, more appreciation. One of the concepts he talks about is "marrying time to money". His view is that you should only invest in things that you are passionate about - things you love spending time doing. If you naturally are passionate about something, you will study it, devote the time and attention to looking after the investment and even if the investment does not totally pan out, you will at least have enjoyed the ride.

Marvin develops his philosophy of retirement by telling his own story. In some respects this is helpful, in others it has it disadvantages. Marvin was a highly successful businessman and therefore had many advantages that many people do not. He got to travel extensively. He had the cash flow to invest in real estate. He also was able to invest in collectables that would appreciate in value.

Many people will look at his plan and not be able to transfer the lessons or principles from his life to their own.

In addition to the financial planning, Marvin talks about staying active, living with a purpose. In my view, this is as important as the financial information. I have seen countless people retire and then sit around waiting to die. Watching TV or playing golf everyday can get boring in a hurry. Marvin suggest that you must stay active, physically and mentally to enjoy your retirement.

There is a lot of really good advice in this book. It is written in an easy to read style and the layout is reader friendly. It is never too early to start planning for your retirement. But if you are over 40, this would be a great book to read. The quality of your retirement will be directly related to the time and energy you spend planning for it. This book could be a very helpful guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, July 31, 2009
Hope Coleman "Hope C" (Lynbrook, New York United States) - See all my reviews
I was fortunate to receive a copy of Mr. Tolkin's book from a friend. WOW! So much information, so easy to read, and so helpful. After reading this book, I'm looking at life differently. My ears are open and my brain ready to take the advice in this book. Are there opportunities for me that I've overlooked? Should I invest, even a small amount, in something that feels right? Yes, and yesterday I offered to invest in a friend's start-up small business venture filled with potential.
No matter what your age, This is a must read for all!!!
It would make a wonderful gift for a friend or family member.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bible for retirement planning!, June 12, 2009
Planning for your senior years is such an important issue and many books have been written on this subject. However, this book is unique because of the way the information is presented. Mr. Tolkin's experiences are very real, very human, and easy to relate to. I learned much that is helping me with my life planning. The presentation is down-to-earth, sprinkled with a lot of wisdom, humor, and good common sense. It is easy to feel his passion for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, June 7, 2009
M. Applegate (The Woodlands, Tx USA) - See all my reviews
This book is wonderful,insightful, and funny too! It is a very quick read. I highly reccomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old advice regarding financial planning that never gets old, April 17, 2010
There was not a single item of advice for "retirement" planning in this book that I have not heard before, yet there was not a single item that I considered superfluous, redundant or unworthy of inclusion. Successful financial planning is a mindset that is very perishable, constant reminders of the need is necessary, especially when you are under fifty. Until you hit that landmark age, sixty-four is always in the distant future, something you think about but would rather not worry about. And if you worry about it, you will plan for it.
Tolkin has had an interesting life, which he shares and uses as a fundamental primer for his bullet points about planning for the future. He is an optimistic/realist, dismissing the nonsensical investment schemes that so many tout and so many fall for. He has fallen for an occasional fraudulent investment scheme and invested in many successful ventures. His two prime points of advice are as sound as investment advice can ever get. "Invest only in things that either you or a trusted maven know about" and "You are going to fail sometimes, so accept it and move on."
By any objective standard of measure, I have done a good job in my financial planning, so I tend to dismiss any advice that I already know. In this case I did not, by being serious about what I read and using it as the stimulus to rethink what I am doing, I have identified a few small tweaks that have increased my savings rate. Not because I followed any specific suggestions put forward by the authors, but because I thought through what I am doing. The best investment advice tends to be generic, and there is a great deal of that in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, July 22, 2009
Alexander Alexandrov (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Interesting, practical and easy to read. Marvin Tolkin using his great gift of story telling leads us to a truthful and practical understanding of the world of business, finance and investing. Great book!

When I'm 64: Planning for the Best of Your Life
When I'm 64: Planning for the Best of Your Life by Howard Massey (Paperback - October 14, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01