5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!
Lori Copeland is another favorite author of mine. I enjoy all her books and look forward to new publications soon.
Published 8 months ago by Gary J.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat enjoyable, but superficial romance.
Published 23 months ago by Shopgirl152ny

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat enjoyable, but superficial romance., October 8, 2012
This review is from: When Love Comes My Way (Paperback)
Somewhat enjoyable but superficial romance. Tess Wakefield is the heiress to the Wakefield fortune and along with that comes the lumber company her grandfather owned. However, she knows nothing about lumber and plans to sell to its competitor so she can continue to make hats for her millinery shops. Jake Lannigan, the foreman of Wakefield Timber, wants to replant pine trees to give something back instead of stripping the land. Her grandfather had agreed to do this, but died before they could start the project. Jake and Tess have been arguing through letters and he is furious that she won't agree. She travels from Philadelphia to Michigan to sign the papers for the sale when she's involved in a wagon accident along with the new schoolteacher. She survives but the teacher does not. However, when she wakes up, she has no memory and is mistaken for the teacher. Jake suspects that she could be Tess, but he figures her teaching a bunch of unruly children could school this spoiled girl on what the real world's really like and maybe she'll change her mind in the process. And there's always the chance that she really is the teacher.

They both immediately fall for each other but Jake fights it especially as he starts to become more sure that she is Tess Wakefield and not the teacher. He also knows she's engaged, which complicates matters. What happens when her identity is revealed before he can tell her the truth? Can she forgive him? Will they fight for their love?

I usually like Lori Copeland's books but I have to say I was disappointed in this one. The romance seemed shallow. Tess seems very forward for a woman of the time, especially a society woman; she does a lot of throwing herself at Jake, which I didn't like, especially since she's not getting much encouragement from him. There wasn't much to the faith element in the book either, just some mentions of prayer and God. This book was rewritten and expanded from a 1990 book she wrote for a secular publisher and I'd have to say it's not up to par with her usual style. However, if you like light romance, you might enjoy this book.

I was provided a free copy of this book from Harvest House Publishers in exchange for my honest review.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was waiting to read this book, October 25, 2012
This review is from: When Love Comes My Way (Kindle Edition)
The reason I only gave the book 3 stars was because I felt the story line wasn't as exciting as her books usually are. I was a little disappointed .

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, July 10, 2012
This review is from: When Love Comes My Way (Paperback)
Mixed feeling about this book that was in many ways charming.

Tess Wakefield, heir to a timber fortune, loses her memory after an accident and finds her self attractted to the cool and rugged lumberman, Jake Lannigan. Many incidents ensue, but will Jake and Tess be able to handle it when love comes their way?

As I said above I have mixed feelings about this book. I loved the setting and the oft-times humorous interactions between the characters, especially the teasing between Andre and Jake, and how the lumbermen reacted to having a woman among their midst! And I loved how determined Tess was to go along with the mix up -- because she didn't remember anything!-- and teach school, not to mention put up with a hoard of ill behaved children, who were far from the cute end of the spectrum!

To some extent I felt that Jake acted completely ungentlmanly and was just not much of a gallant hero, and while his actions may have made sense to him I thought it was rather unfair of him to take out his frustration at Tess on her, because she didn't remember who she was! And something that I really didn't like was how Tess formed the ladies of the community into a society, directing them to manipulate their husbands into building a new schoolhouse. In my opinion the way she went about it was just all wrong.

Overall, as I said above I really wanted to like this book, because there are some great parts, yet there are still some elements that I just get stuck on. One thing that I will note is that this book, though it is the second in a series, it has nothing to do with the last book, so picking it up out of order won't be a problem :) I can't give this book the glowing review that I wanted to, but I did like the interactions between some of the characters, and that everything did eventually get resolved :)

I received this book through a publicity program in exchange for an honest review. Thanks!

3.0 out of 5 stars Abrupt ending, January 1, 2013
This review is from: When Love Comes My Way (Kindle Edition)
I love Lori Copeland and her ending are usually well thought out. However, with this book it seems rushed, as though she was up against a deadline and had to end it. A little disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars unhealthy relationship, December 26, 2012
This review is from: When Love Comes My Way (Paperback)
If you want romance as in -a few passionate kisses- then fine, there are some nice scenes like that, but I found that to enjoy those scenes you had to forget the rest of the story. Forget that Jake has been absolutely horrible, mean, snide, and has put her in the worst possible situations he can think of to "get back at her" for something she doesn't even remember she did. I know the author portrays Tess as a ditz but really?! She goes from talking about how horrible Jake is to her to saying he's just so big and hunky she can't possibly look past him to see his kind and helpful friend Andre as a possible candidate. GAG! When she finally does develop a backbone, she uses it to break her promise that she would not stir up trouble in the camp. Two problems with this - why does Jake make such a big deal about making her promise this when there are no large unforeseen consequences that later turn up? Second problem is that she supposedly loves this guy and yet at the drop of a hat she chooses to break her promise to him? Doesn't sound like love to me. I couldn't even bring myself to finish the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars WHEN LOVE COMES MY WAY, June 29, 2014
This review is from: When Love Comes My Way (Kindle Edition)
WHEN LOVE COMES MY WAY is not your run-of-the-mill romance. And while some reviewers found that as a negative, I thoroughly enjoyed its unconventional style.

Tess Wakefield has inherited Wakefield Timber from her uncle. Since she knows nothing about the timber industry, her fiancé encourages her to sell it and invest her assets into her own chain of haberdasheries. She has communicated with Jake Lannigan, the foreman of Wakefield Timber, her intentions of selling, but he has not been accommodating or agreeable to her plans. So, Tess sets out to meet with a buyer and the foreman on Wakefield property. Unfortunately, Tess is in a devastating wagon accident. Losing her memory, Tess is convinced she is the new schoolmarm. Though every day is a struggle in the small logging town, Tess is determined to make it work and put her mark on the town.

Jake Lannigan is beyond frustrated with Tess Wakefield, a spoiled socialite who knows nothing about logging. Jake and Tess’ uncle had an agreement to replant the groves they were lumbering. Tess sees replanting as a waste of finances. She refuses to listen to Jake’s suggestions and decides to sell to Sven Templeton, an adversary of Jake’s. When Tess is in a wagon accident and losses her memory, Jake allows her to believe she is the new school teacher, even though he instinctively knows she is Tess Wakefield. Without Tess Wakefield around to sell Wakefield Lumber, Jake figures he still has a chance of seeing his dream of replanting happen. What he didn’t figure on, was falling in love with the beautiful, engaged, heiress.

Tess has more than fallen for the handsome, Jake Lannigan. But she doesn’t understand his resistance in having a relationship with her. She knows he’s attracted to her, but every time they get close, he pulls back. When Tess finally regains her memory, she doesn’t know how she should feel about Jake. He’s lied to her about who she really is. But deep down she knows she’s in love with him and willing to forgive him everything.

A really enjoyed WHEN LOVE COMES MY WAY because of its unconventional characters. When Tess realizes she’s attracted to Jake, she doesn’t hold back. Being quite forward, she isn’t your typical woman of society. She sees what she wants and goes after it. I found that fun and refreshing. Jake as well wasn’t your normal hero. He had his flaws but it didn’t distract from the man you knew him to be. The secondary characters were very well written. Andre and Echo, even Talbot, Tess’ fiancé was genuine and likable. A very fun story with a great ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great character and plot development, February 15, 2014
Reviewed by JoAnne
Book provided by the publisher for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

This is an inspirational historical romance that takes place in the 1870′s that kept my interest from beginning to end although I wasn’t sure at the start that it would. It took about 25 pages before I felt the pull into the storyline and my attention totally captured. Once I got past the scene setting and background information it was an easy read that had all the elements I like – great character and plot development, friends, romance, love, and adventure. There was some sadness and tears but also laugh out loud moments along with several happily ever afters.

Since this was an inspirational story there were references to God along with many prayers to him for various reasons but it enhanced the plot and didn’t detract from it. The descriptions of the logging camp and surrounding areas were so vivid I felt I was there.

Tess wasn’t very likable in the beginning especially when learning about her society life in Philadelphia and desires through her letters to Jake Lannigan, the foreman at the timber company she owned in Michigan. She also wasn’t very endearing on the wagon ride to the camp. Once I got to “know” her, her strengths came out and she wasn’t the air headed socialite I thought she was. She and Jake had immediate chemistry and fought like cats and dogs but they both resisted it until the very end although there were signs of weakening on both sides earlier on. The epilogue gave nice closure, but I would have loved a few more chapters.

I haven’t read books by Copeland before but if this is her caliber of writing with a light hand on the inspirational side I will be adding her to my TBR pile.

Favorite Quote: “It is true, why is it so hard for you to understand why building a new schoolhouse is important to me? I won’t be here forever, but like your dream, I want to leave something for future generations It’s important to me!” She was a dismal failure at teaching, so she had to leave something behind to prove that she’d been there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, January 9, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Lori's best!, December 11, 2013
This review is from: When Love Comes My Way (Kindle Edition)
Unusual depth for a romance. Enjoyed the history of white pine logging in Michigan.Strong teaching of Christian principals.Deserves 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding the right man, November 20, 2013
This review is from: When Love Comes My Way (Kindle Edition)
What an unusual story this was. It kept me guessing to the end. I love "Happily Ever After" stories like this!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›