Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on December 22, 1999
Hey all,
To whomever is interested in the plight of Kurt Cobain and thousands of other young, talented, yet disturbed human beings out there I highly recommend picking up Beverly Cobain's "When Nothing Matters Anymore".
Depression is such a crummy thing. However, it is highly preventable and manageable, and never rears it's ugly head in an instant. Depression and feelings of hopelessness and despair take a long time to manifest themselves in people. The foundation is layed when you're younger and from what I have found, it only takes that one trigger, that one speedbump in your life that sets off something bigger. I feel for Kurt it must have been the fame and fortune that has doomed so many before him.
But everyone has different circumstances. It is VERY VERY important to find someone to talk to in a time of grief and confusion. The mind is a tricky thing and can make you believe things are worse than they really are. And it can make you believe the end has come and there's no hope for more. But there is, there ALWAYS is. Life has it's ups and downs and, again, it is VERY VERY important to talk your feelings out with someone, a girlfriend, a mother, a father, a best friend. You can even write your feelings out in a diary or a song. I find it very soothing listening to Nirvana music. They have gotten me through a lot.
Furthermore, catching yourself when you're feeling down, but not yet out is truly a gift from above. It is the gift of life, yours. Reclaiming your life from depression and sadness will help you live longer and happier. You'll become a more productive human being and give of yourself to this world, instead of the world taking from you. Life is a trip. Keep living it with the right attitude, treating yourself good and you'll keep living. Moving on from stress and setbacks, picking yourself up quickly and brushing yourself off will keep you rolling and will never let you down, guaranteed! The right attitude and strategy is EVERYTHING.
PEACE EVERYONE...
MIKE
PS: Make sure to have a Happy New Millenium!
on September 2, 1998
I am the parent of one of the kids highlighted in this book. Our daughter's depression and feelings of suicide were frightening. Every parent runs the risk of experiencing this situation--Bev's book would have been the kind of resource that would have answered so many questions for us. Bev is awesome--her style comes through in the book. While the book is a "handbook" for young people, the information applies to all ages of people going through these sorts of feelings. I suggest a reading by every parent and child before middle school! Be prepared!
on May 12, 2002
This book is helping me understand that I am not the only teenager that goes throught depression. It is a helping book for me. I love it. I know that this book is going to help other teenagers with depression.
on July 7, 2002
I took this book from the libraray after being kind of sad for a few months, and it actually helped me. If you are a teenager and you think that you might be depressed, then buy this book. After reading it I felt much more happier.
The tehniques that she gives are very easy-to-do, and they help! What else could you ask for? The book also includes personal stories of teenagers who were depressed and now are getting much better. (Not all of them are better because of the actions they took before they got help)
on September 2, 1998
I am a minister, a musician, and a lover of teenagers. I have owned a club for teens, and I have worked with many teenage bands in my recording studio. I have two teens of my own, and have dealt with a lot of teens who have significant problems. In the past eighteen years I have worked with teens and families of teens involved with suicide attempts and suicides. I have dealt with many teens who lost friends to suicide, or couldn't communicate with their friends who were depressed. I needed something to give them. Now I have it.
This book is right on target! It is written in a way that teenagers (as well as adults) will "want" to go from one page to the next. The "testimonies" are sincere and completely relevent to the topics. The explanations and examples of depression are most helpful and easy to understand. Nowhere is the book so confusing that the reader would get "lost" or bored.
The examples of what one can say or do in dealing with depression, or dealing with someone who is depressed, are most excellent, and gives one a great sense of hope in being able to see positive results.
Throughout the book are survival tips and assorted helps that are brief and to the point. One could hardly read this book without learning something important about themselves or others around them if they are depressed or close to someone with depression. Bev Cobain has given us something we really need. A word of hope that says, "You can be helped!" I am excited about the possibilities of the many lives that can be changed through her work and writing. I'm going to get one of the books for each of my teens.
Everyone knows, or comes in contact with, someone who is suffering from some form of depression. Now we can understand this problem clear enough to actually do something about it, and/or send people in the direction of help. It is great!!!
Any counselor who deals with teens should have a copy of this book on their desk!
on October 22, 2014
My daughter read this book while in an acute psychiatric care facility and she really connected with it. I read it at her request and I am very thankful that I did. I will never be able to understand how it feels to be a teen girl with depression. But now I can recognize how she is doing and be that trusted adult and friend that she needs.
on May 22, 2009
Hey there,

I've read several books on depression, and this is one of the best I've seen so far. It's real, practical and, best of all, not boring. It reads easily enough that someone of any age can understand and relate, and isn't at all condescending. It gives you good information and makes you think, which I think is good for everybody.

I'd pair it with Kate Bornstien's Hello Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks and Other Outlaws, which has gotten me through some hard times and can make you chuckle no matter what mood you're in.
on February 11, 2010
This book provides an excellent "insider's" view of how it feels to be without hope. There is no worse place to be in life. Teens who have overcome this tragic state share their experiences with a sensivity and honesty that can be extremely useful to help parents understand what their child is suffering and help teens truly see that they are not alone, that their experience can be understood and dealt with. I recommend this book as a useful tool for anyone who works with teenagers in any capacity.
on October 29, 1998
The day that i started reading this book i couldn't put it down because it was teaching me about my depresion. Now that i have completed it i feel that i know more about depression then i knew before.I shared it with my mom who is also depressed and she wants a copy of her own. iI think it is a very good book and i would defently recommend this book for depressed teens that want to learn more about depression. Even a teen without depression that wants to learn more about depression should read it. Thanks bev for writing this wondreful book.
on October 29, 1998
This book is excellent. As an adult suffering from depression I wish I had some of the knowledge offered in this book when I was a teenager. I think it would have definately changed the course of my life. You can tell that there is so much of the Authors heart and soul that went into writing this book. The testimonials from the kids are great. I would recommend this book to kids and adults alike. Thanks Bev for who you are and what you beleive in.