5.0 out of 5 stars 20 years later-no new cognitive distortions have been found
It probably sounds somewhat dramatic, but I can only recall two self-help books that had a drastic effect on my life-by giving me a reasonable relief from anxiety and depression. The first one, Mind over Mood, by Greenberger and the second one, Feeling Good Workbook by Dr. Burns. Both of these books are based on solid research, reason and practicality.

Almost...
Published on May 20, 2006 by Self Helper

3.0 out of 5 stars Good premise, but a bit tedious
Published on February 3, 2011 by Marilyn Morrow

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 years later-no new cognitive distortions have been found, May 20, 2006

Almost 20 years since his workbook, Dr. Burns has finally written another book. To my disappointment and relief, it looks like he has nothing major to report. The good news is that after all these years of cognitive therapy evolution, there are still only 10 types of cognitive distortions. The bad news is that it takes only 10 to manage a perfect job to make you miserable.

Cognitive therapy is based on the premise that our own automatic and often unnoticed thoughts WITHIN us, not the events that happen TO US, scare us to death which in turn create a warped reality providing fertile soil for depression, anxiety, self-doubt, loneliness, and procrastination. Virtually everyone who is depressed or anxious is at mercy of these distorted thoughts. To get a relief, each distorted thought must be noticed and dealt with. As you can't relieve your hunger by just reading a cookbook, you must apply it to your own situation for at least 15 minutes a day 5 days a week. Once learned and practiced, the technique will offer you resilience to life's day-to-day challenges, unlike the antidepressants where the relief exists only while you take them.

Burns lists various applications to become aware, challenge and rewire your thought pattern and beliefs about yourself and the world. There is no magic, no parent-blaming, just common sense stuff dealing with the here-and-now.

What is so valuable here is his clear writing, convincing arguments, along with the examples of application that anyone can find an immediate use.

What sets this book apart from other self-help books is that it's packaged into a system one can use in a consistent way. Moreover, the improvements one feels can actually be measured with various tests that Burns provides. Once I saw it worked after many years of doom and suffering, I refocused and dared to feel hopeful. This added to my feeling good.

If I were to find faults with this book, I'd say this: in all honesty, there really was no need for this book at all. True, in this book he struggles to find some new ways to tackle problems to justify the new edition, and true, there is some fine-tuning of the previous methods, however, non-essential ones. In my opinion, Feeling Good Workbook is so effective, it has all you'll ever need, which is enough to make a substantial change.

In the end, each Burn's book can stand on its own, and will do a perfect job to diminish panic, depression and anxiety.

Even though the system sounds simplistic, its power lies in consistency of application-easier said than done for the depressed and unmotivated-but it does become easier if you find it within yourself to stick with it.

If this is pretty much the same book as the one written 20 years ago, why am I giving it 5 stars? It's very simple: If you are a person whose life has been robbed of feeling good for decades, any of Dr. Burns' books = be it this one or the ones published 20 years ago-offers a real tool for change. And this fact alone, deserves all the stars in the skies.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding book not just for FEELING BETTER, but GETTING BETTER!, February 1, 2007
Dr. Burns incorporates the last 25 years of research and clinical developments since writing the best-seller FEELING GOOD (strongly recommended as well.) He has written a book which markedly refines and elaborates on FEELING GOOD, rendering the Cognitive Therapy approach found in FEELING GOOD even more effective for quick and long-term relief from distressing emotional conditions, including depression, anxiety, anger, and low-self esteem.

In case you don't know, the book FEELING GOOD has been clinically proven to relieve major depression JUST FROM READING IT and following its instructions. I am confident that a clinical trial on WHEN PANIC ATTACKS would yield similar results for individuals suffering from anxiety disorders. The new book is very readable and far more versatile, and addresses some of the implicit gaps left from the former book.

WHEN PANIC ATTACKS easily stands on its own, and doesn't just address panic attacks, but rather every conceivable type of anxiety, including chronic worrying, phobias, agoraphobia, shyness, public speaking anxiety, writer's block, procrastination, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and Body Dysmorphic Disorder. As far as I am concerned, Dr. Burns should win a Nobel Prize for what he has accomplished here. Beginning with the "Daily Mood Log" --a sophisticated yet elegantly simple worksheet for documenting and combating one's emotional pain-- he has developed a veritable "technology" for overcoming even the most disabling of human emotions.

Why do we suffer? We suffer because we hold onto some core self-defeating beliefs (SDB's) that leave us rather vulnerable to painful mood swings. Accordingly, he identifies 23 common SDB's. Many of these SDB's (such as Achievement Addiction, Approval Addiction, Fear of Rejection, Conflict Phobia, and Emotophobia) are far more widespread than even the common cold! All of our emotional suffering can be traced back to the SDB's that are always there, lurking somewhat hidden beneath our suffering, until we take the courageous and pro-active step to identify and revise them. He then provides 40 ways to "untwist" your thinking, divided into 15 types of methods. These types of techniques include Uncovering Techniques, Compassion-Based Techniques, Truth-Based Techniques, Semantic Techniques, Logic-Based, Quantitative Techniques, Humor-Based Techniques, Role-Playing Techniques, Spiritual Techniques, Motivational Techniques, Anti-Procrastination Techniques, Classical, Cognitive, and Interpersonal Exposure Techniques, and last but not least, the Hidden Emotion Model.

He additionally shows you how to select the techniques that will work best for YOU, and the whole trial-and-error process is easily recorded onto another handy-dandy worksheet! By encouraging you to "fail as fast as you can" (a brilliant concept in its own right!), he clearly demonstrates how anyone who is serious about their mental health and overall well-being can overcome even deep-seated emotional problems, and thereby attain robust self-esteem. He even provides specific and simple methods for "relapse prevention," because, as he states, EVERYONE relapses! Surely there's a BIG difference between FEELING better and GETTING better.

Because Thoreau was correct when he said, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation," I think it would be a tragedy to limit this book to those with mental health diagnoses. In fact, I cannot think of a single individual who would not be significantly helped by the information contained in this book. ********** 10 Stars on a scale of 5!

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saving book, October 2, 2007
This review is from: When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life (Paperback)
As someone who struggled with panic attacks for over 25 years, I have read a lot of books about anxiety. I now plan to get rid of all of the others! I read Dr. Burns' Feeling Good at my lowest point last year and it was a lifeline for me. That book focuses more on depression, and while some of the information in it applied to anxiety, I kept wishing he would write a book specifically on anxiety. This book has advice and exercises for every type of anxiety. Whether you have job performance anxiety, social anxiety, fear of riding in elevators or having blood drawn, the tools you need to overcome your fears are in here.

The key is--and Dr. Burns reinforces this point--you have to do the exercises in order to feel better. This means actually writing your answers on paper. It also means, in many cases, facing your fears. His methods combine exposure therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy. His words are warm and humorous, and you will feel supported as you break down barriers you may have built up for years.

Dr. Burns has improved my life immeasurably. I, and all of my loved ones who have had to suffer along with me for so many years, are grateful! Buy this book and try the exercises.

5.0 out of 5 stars "don't believe everything you think", May 27, 2009
I've been a fan of Dr. Burns for a long time because he explains cognitive behavioral therapy/theory (CBT) so well and has plenty of techniques for using it. The main idea is that the way we think strongly influences how we feel and sometimes, how we act. When we can change our distorted ways of thinking, the door opens to greater happiness and satisfaction. Of course, when the door opens, you have to go through it, that is, you have to practice the techniques to gain the benefits.

Although I like his Feeling Good books, I like "When Panic Attacks" more because the writing is better. It flows more and is funny in places. It has much of the same material as in his earlier books, so you can benefit either way. This one is just easier to read.
Although CBT has helped me with depression and anxiety, it helped me A LOT with anger. Once I really accepted that no one died and made me queen, and that I didn't need to waste energy on trivial annoyances, I became calmer and easier to get along with and that has been a huge thing for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most influential and life changing collection of text I have ever read., August 19, 2008
J. Ziccardi (Long Beach, California) - See all my reviews
The information and techniques presented in this book changed my life in a profound way. Not only have I become a FAR less anxious individual in general, but I have the tools to combat every type of mood swing imaginable. My self esteem is at heights I could have never imagined. Whether you panic left and right, have mild anxiety, or are simply a human being, I GUARANTEE this book is worth your time. This is the real stuff: researched based and tested over and over again.

Also, while I agree that a lot of this information is the same that has appeared in Burns' older classics "Feeling Good" and the "Feeling Good Handbook" I do find that it is presented in a more organized, easy to digest format that is focused on anxiety instead of depression. Despite containing the same underlying theories, it has expansions, re-organizations, and specifics that I feel easily make it a worthwhile addition to the Burns catalog.

I, obviously, wholeheartedly and passionately recommend this book for ANYONE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anxious? Panic-stricken? Agoraphobic? Help is on the way!!, December 6, 2006
There may not be anything new in this work, re: cognitive distortions, but this is still the gold-standard resource for those of us who suffer from this insidious malady know as Panic Disorder.

Dr. Burns book is not an easy read, meaning it does not offer quick, feel-good answers like so many pop-psych./pseudo-psych. books do. His work is written in a way that heavy involvement of the reader/patient is necessary in order to modify the maladaptive thinking and information processing that plagues people of our ilk.

The excercises are tedious and numerous to be sure. But then again, there are no easy answers for combatting panic.

This book is highly recommended by me because it has literally changed my life. Relief from suffering was quicker than what years of therapy was supposed to do for me. Like I said, there may not be anything "new," but to the average person who is not steeped in the literature the way a professional clinician would be, this makes no difference.

Dr. Burns has performed a valuable public health service by writing this book. Get it for yourself, or for anyone you know who may be suffering from this dreadful condition. It will change your/their life...for good and for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me beyond words!, January 7, 2008
Michelle B. (Hurricane country, FL) - See all my reviews
Having suffered from panic attacks for many years, I was finally fed up. I searched the library and choose this book. It is hard to face the fact you suffer from panic attacks when everything on the outside appears so wonderful. I could not hear or look at the words "panic attack" with out feeling anxiety. This book saved my life without question. I did the exercises and the mood charts. I have checked the book out 3 more times. I don't know why I have not bought it because it is inexpensive ($7.00). It is good to keep for reference.
In another review there was a comment on the successful people in the book. That was a huge help to me because even successful people suffer from anxiety disorders. Would you want to hear that you suffer from a disorder that only unsuccessful, depressed people suffer from? I don't think so. If you want freedom from a panic attacks, you must pick up this book. I wish I could contact Dr. Burns myself to let him know that he changed my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The toolbox for life, January 23, 2009
Sean G (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I recently finished this book, so I don't have much long-term experience yet.

I can say that I did all of the exercises outlined in this book, and used several techniques that have become my "go-to" techniques. I've filled out many Daily Mood Logs.

Do you want to know why you feel the way you do? Do you want to feel different? Get this book. It is a toolbox for life, and puts you in control rather than feeling at the mercy of your seemingly random (and negative) emotions and thoughts.

I now know that no matter what trouble befalls me, I can always pull out the tools I learned in this book, and feel better.

Every Daily Mood Log I filled out had a permanent effect.

I'm reading another self-help book now, but I feel like When Panic Attacks is the bedrock of my recovery efforts now.

Just one tip: Do all of the exercises Dr. Burns asks you to do. The book can't work otherwise.

Also, read the entire book. There's a kind of overview on how the whole process works at the end of the book (in fact, you could argue it could have been placed in the middle/beginning of the book).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good premise, but a bit tedious, February 3, 2011
I got through the first 100 pages in one day. It starts off well, with definite ideas, interesting information on SSRI drugs, and an overall positive outlook for overcoming panic. However, I started losing interest pretty fast after that. There are literally dozens of different 'techniques' that the author gives for overcoming problems such as anxiety, panic or depression. (By the way, this is NOT a book meant to deal only with panic, but with a range of issues) Some of the techniques are very good, and I'm sure they do help. There are just way too many of them, and they are so similar it seems redundant. And then we have the case studies. Again, the first few were interesting and relevant, but after a while I just couldn't read any more of them. They also make things seem a bit too easy. Anyone who has ever dealt with anxiety or panic knows that you condition yourself into thinking the way you do, and the odds of doing some technique in a book and then "poof"! you are magically cured from panic are slim to none. It just doesn't work that way. The author presents many of the case studies as examples of people who have done a certain technique and then instantly been cured. Anything is possible, but it raised doubts for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, July 31, 2009
As someone who has struggled with anxiety for many years, I cannot reccommend this book enough. I'm in my early 20s and have already been on and off medication/therapy for years. When I started to feel like I was losing control I decided to take matters into my own hands and this book has helped me tremendously.

One thing of note: do not get this book unless you are serious about getting to the root of your problems and willing to work to feel better. It requires you to examine your thoughts and feelings and complete exercises that will help you think and feel better.

It is great for those looking for real change. For people looking for some magical cure without putting in any effort: look elsewhere.

$15.99 $9.27