5.0 out of 5 stars 20 years later-no new cognitive distortions have been found
It probably sounds somewhat dramatic, but I can only recall two self-help books that had a drastic effect on my life-by giving me a reasonable relief from anxiety and depression. The first one, Mind over Mood, by Greenberger and the second one, Feeling Good Workbook by Dr. Burns. Both of these books are based on solid research, reason and practicality.

Almost...
Published on May 20, 2006 by Self Helper

3.0 out of 5 stars Good premise, but a bit tedious
I got through the first 100 pages in one day. It starts off well, with definite ideas, interesting information on SSRI drugs, and an overall positive outlook for overcoming panic. However, I started losing interest pretty fast after that. There are literally dozens of different 'techniques' that the author gives for overcoming problems such as anxiety, panic or...
Published on February 3, 2011 by Marilyn Morrow

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 513 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I feel like anyone who hasn't read this is missing out... something for everyone., September 13, 2013
This review is from: When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life (Paperback)
I am far from an avid reader. However this is what some would call "A page turner". Well written and easy to understand. This is a practical and logical approach to what many maybe turned off by when it comes to "psychology". I am actually going to read it again. This is one of the 3 reviews I have ever felt inclined to share. If you consider your self a critical thinker or systematic or Socratic, what ever the case maybe, you will not be able to put this book down. I am an ordinary fellow and it helped me. The book exposes many irrational beliefs that at one point of another will all tell ourselves. If you are dealing with an phobia at all, the author shows you several techniques to beat the issue. One of these techniques if call "flooding". This also know as exposure therapy. An example would be if your claustrophobic you would close your self in a closet until the fear was so great that it would climax and eventually subside. Sounds a bit much, but it works. All the techniques are not this intimidating. There are not only techniques but common errors in everyday thinking that cause great stress. The word "should" is an excellent example. Many times we use the word "should" instead of "preferable". This can produce great anxiety when referring to what "we should of done". Should insinuates failure and incompetence when it's requirement is not met. The word "should" applies to laws of gravity, and moral values. If I push this laptop off my desk, it "should" fall to the ground. It's these small adjustments in thinking that make an real difference. Sounds like a commercial but from start to finish the concepts in the book are beautifully simple. There is a chapter called "Hidden Emotion" that states much anxiety is not rooted in a shadowy deep past but often times is due to the elephant in the room that some how we have learned to sweep under the rug. This is easy to do, and our minds have gotten incredible efficient at it. Once these habits and ideas are identified and then addressed by teaching an alternate, more logical, fair approach, much anxiety subsides. As the author said, "Anxiety never just occurs." There are biological aspects but they are far and few in-between. I was diagnosed with PTSD at a late age. After Exposure therapy (which is like looking the school bully in his eyes and saying "take your best shot") I was able to confront the monster, (what I was spending so much time and effort running from) only to find out it had no teeth.This takes incredible courage.>> If your not absolutely sick and tired of dealing with excessive anxiety then this book is not for you. If you are willing to be brave and honest with yourself and do what ever it takes, Dr. Burns Cognitive (thought based) therapy can help put the "truth to the lie" and set your free.. It's like explaining to someone "what the Grand Canyon looks the first time." You just can't. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This cure me!, September 3, 2013
I am so thankful for my therapist when asked me to get this book and read for myself. I have to say that I does really help and the information is very valuable. I cherish every information I learned and apply it. This is definitely what I need to help me overcome my anxieties and panic attacks. Cognitive Theory is for me and experimental techniques is the one that helped me. Thank you so much Dr. Burns for helping us and for writing this precious book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, August 4, 2013
This book was helpful in understanding what was happening to me. It gave me the tools I needed to work through the situation I was in. It is an easy read, well worded and simple to understand. The author did a fine job explaining the reasons why I felt the way I did. While there was a lot of info that was not relevant to my situation, I aquired all the knowledge necessary to get back to feeling like myself again. I think it would be of good use to most people who are dealing with anxiety and need to get off medications.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cured!!!, June 17, 2013
Having "come down" with cancer for the 3rd time in early 2012 I just became obsessed with dying and was wrought with anxiety about every lump, bump, or twinge of pain. I kid you not, I was practically cured by page 88! I'm just into the second half of the book and feel better than I think I've ever felt! I'm also realizing how I've been plagued with other issues, procrastination, for example. I feel like my mind is being pressure washed and it feels great! Wish I would've read this years ago! I bet everyone could be helped by Dr. Burns!

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, February 4, 2013
I read this book when I was staying at a friend's house during the Holidays. I have mixed emotions about this book. It's the first book written by an actual doctor, that I found valuable. Most doctors make their books way too difficult for us, normal people, to read. This book was a little bit too dry for me, and that's where the one star got lost. But the content is really good and I found some good techniques to support me whenever I felt anxious.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great adjunct to therapy, January 31, 2013
Onlineshopper (Stamford,CT, US) - See all my reviews
As a cognitive behavioral psychologist who specializes in anxiety disorders, I heartily recommend this book to anyone suffering from bouts of anxiety. As in "Feeling Good", Burns classic self help book, this is a clearly written guide for the successful treatment of Panic Attacks and other similar disorders. I have recommended it to many of my patients who find it extremely useful for reinforcing what they learn in therapy sessions. I also know of several cases where the book alone was sufficient in helping manage anxiety.

4.0 out of 5 stars When Panic Attacks, January 9, 2013
Dr. David Burns has written a couple of outstanding books which can be found in just about any good therapist's library, Feeling Good and the Feeling Good Handbook. He is a highly renowned psychiatrist from Stanford School of Medicine where he has done extensive work on brain chemistry. This book is a good read as well if you want to dump some aggravating fears and phobia. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't panic about panic, July 1, 2012
Tikkun37 "Edwin" (St.Petersburg, FL U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
WHEN PANIC ATTACKS by David Burns is one of the best resources I have ever found as a family therapist and minister to help people with anxiety. I encounter people regularly who are suffering from one form of anxiety or another. This resource is one to put excellent resources in the hands of the therapist OR to provide an avenue of real self-help to the individual. Obviously, severe anxiety should be managed with the help of a professional, but this book provides everything one needs to attack the anxiety monster on one's own provided the user is willing to do the work required by the written assignments and exercises. And it really does work drug free. I have never been convinced that drugs do what they are supposed to do and this resource provides an avenue around them if one is opposed to them. I highly recommend this book along with a copier and good sharp pencil to those who wish to be in control of their anxiety.

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective with some caveats, March 17, 2012
I am finding the techniques and the overall concept of CBT to be very effective. I also find Dr. Burn's writing to be remarkably down-to-earth and even humorous at times; I really appreciate that! I found this book to be full of insightful information, the only improvement I find is with better organization of the book and a more detailed framework that connected the many, MANY techniques. It comes across to me as about 40+ techniques and models and exercises, but I'm left swimming in information and a lot of it was not connected together in an effective mental model.

An example: one chapter I'm reading about the Daily Mood log, then about Self Defeating Beliefs, and the next on how to modify them, followed by many, many chapters on techniques that are designed to eliminate anxiety. I'm GUESSING those 40+ techniques are used to modify the Self Defeating Beliefs. But then in the modifying beliefs chapter, it went over a bunch of mini-techniques that were not the same as the 40+ techniques. But I thought that's what the Daily Mood Log was for?! I just find myself scattered and confused, and I think that could have been easily avoided.

Regardless, I'm finding the daily mood log to be effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, and very practical.Works for depression to!, January 27, 2012
jacki (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I probably have more depression than anxiety but I wanted to read this book any because of the reviews and I wasn't disappointed. This book has very many easy exercises that- when you think about it- are so simple and yet make such a big difference when you actually do them. His concept of making a cost-benefit analysis of beliefs to figure out whether you really want to change them or not was something that was very helpful to me and not something I've come across in other material. I realized that benefit of some of my beliefs outweighed that cost (even though I didn't necessarily 'like' the belief) and that's why I had difficulty changing. He has many other different types of exercises that would work in many different situations and issues. I have read very many self-help books and I can say that this one is probably one of the most practical and useful of them all (about psych problems or not).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 513 | Next ›