5.0 out of 5 stars Loaded with non-stop action and suspense!
Published on February 4, 2012 by Love 2 Read Novels

1.0 out of 5 stars Ends with the Mystery Not Solved
Published 9 months ago by J. Hopkins

1.0 out of 5 stars Ends with the Mystery Not Solved, March 27, 2014
J. Hopkins (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When the Smoke Clears (Deadly Reunions Book #1): A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Alexia Allen is forced to take time off from the firefighting job she loves, because her equipment failed, she ran out of air, and she disobeyed an order to save a child. She had been thinking about going home for her high school reunion, so maybe this is the push she needed. Because her family was so dysfunctional, she hasn't seen any of them in ten years. As soon as she returns, however, people start dying, and someone is trying to kill her. Hunter Graham, the police detective who was three years ahead of her in school, is the one bright spot. He seems determined to keep her save and find out what’s going on. As the dangerous incidents pile up, the mystery gets even more muddled.

I loved this book to start with. It is one of the best I’ve read by Lynette Eason and an excellent mystery. It became so good I stayed up much too late to finish it and see who else was involved. It was apparently someone close to Alexia or at least knew her well. Then, the book just ended without anything being solved. I was so disappointed and felt cheated. I think an author has an understood contract with a reader to provide a complete story. To do otherwise, especially without indication, is dishonest. Such practices are bad enough on any level, but, for a Christian writer, it is even more despicable. I feel sure this is not God’s will. It is undoubtedly a marketing ploy to force readers to buy the rest in the series. Well, it does the opposite for me. I will not be manipulated in such an underhanded way. I would never buy the other books in the series now. And, as much as I like Lynette Eason’s writing, I will be leery of her books from now on. I considered whether to give the book one or two stars, for, despite the lack of an ending, it is well-written. However, considering how much I hate this practice, I’m always going to rate books with no ending and no warning of that a one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read entire book - still don't know Where, What, or Why, June 18, 2012
I really liked this book until I got to the end. Oh right . . . there wasn't an end. I am OK when a book ends and they set you up with a teaser for the next book in the series. But this book did not resolve any of the main plot lines. Oh you found out who 2 paid bad guys were but you never found out what the mysterious event from years ago was that set up the whole chain of events in the book, or where the missing person in the story was located, or where the other missing person in the story was located, etc., etc., etc. If you want to know you have to buy book 2 in the series. Or maybe books 2 and 3 and 4.

1.0 out of 5 stars WHEN THE SMOKE CLEARS YOU WILL NOT HAVE AN ENDING!, May 27, 2012
While the story held my interest, I found the gratuitous insertions of religious dogma irritating. But most of all, I resent purchasing a book that does not end--but merely halts midway--leaving you with no option but to purchase the sequel if you want to know the full story. Rip Off!

2.0 out of 5 stars No Conclusion!, March 2, 2012
This book had too much action going on for me! I never could feel comfortable and relaxing because I was reading another attack. But I made myself continue reading to find out who was behind it all and then the book just ends without disclosing that vital piece of information! Maybe the author is thinking that will make readers buy the next book, but not me. If the book is good enough, a person will not need this kind of coaxing to want to read the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loaded with non-stop action and suspense!, February 4, 2012
Love 2 Read Novels "Sherry" (a small town in Kansas USA) - See all my reviews
Alexia Allen fights fires. When she has a brush with death while trying to save a child she is ordered to take leave while the incident is under investigation. She decides to attend her 10 year class reunion and stay at her moms house. As soon as she arrives trouble starts. Hunter Graham was drawn to Alexia in high school but she didn't seem to show any interest. Now ten years later he's Detective Graham and still finds himself drawn to her. Even when it seems she's in the center of all kinds of trouble, from murder to arson. Not to mention family secrets. Who is really behind all the trouble and will she survive long enough to actually find out?

From beginning to end, When the Smoke Clears is loaded with non-stop action and suspense! I literally could not flip pages fast enough. I was totally enthralled with not only the story but the characters as well. The family dynamics in Alexia's family as well as Hunter's family we realistically portrayed. I was completely on the edge of my seat through the whole book and while the end is partially concluded (in a satisfying way), the door is wide open for the next book in the series. Which I can not wait to read!!! Two things came across to me while I was reading. One, no matter what we go through God walks through it with us. Always working in every situation. Two, that God can change hearts and forgiveness is part of that change. That's not always easy as we see in Alexia's case. I thoroughly enjoyed When the Smoke Clears and would highly recommend it. It's an edge-of-your-seat tale that once you pick it up, you won't be able to put it down!!! It's Book 1 in the Deadly Reunions Series. A thank you goes to Lynette Eason as well as Revell for providing this complimentary copy for my review! Well done Lynette!!!!
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Revell (February 1, 2012)
ISBN-10: 0800720075
ISBN-13: 978-0800720070

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast- paced, but I just couldn't get sucked in ..., February 15, 2012
Suzanne wesley "DesignGal96" (Terre Haute, IN United States) - See all my reviews
Author Lynette Eason takes her main character, Alexia Allen, on quite a wild ride in book one of her deadly reunions series. I lost track of how many times attempts were made to either frame her for arson, murder, or to actually murder her to keep her silent. I don't mind a book that is fast-paced, and Lynette displays some wonderful writing skills, yet I had a hard time finding this one believable. (Sorry!) The only way Alexia stays out of jail is that not one but two members of the local law happen to be falling in love with her. And she's only been back in town a couple of days ...

I was also frustrated by the fact that by the end of book one you still don't know the answers to several big questions that are driving the larger series plot (like what it is someone thinks she knows that is putting her life in danger?). I realize this is a series so 'all' answers should not be revealed, but I felt like a little more needed to be revealed in book one to help it feel more complete, and more real. Maybe I watch too much Law & Order? LOL

* This book was provided by the publisher for review. Available February 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulse-pounding thriller, with many twists!!, February 18, 2012
Wow! What a great suspense book When Smoke Clears was - I completely loved it! I now really want to go read Lynette Eason's other books!

When Smoke Clears, begins with a prologue that tells what happened on Alexia's graduation day ten years ago. I found this great, because as a result of what happened that night, someone is after Alexia and information she may or may not have.

I'm one of those people who likes to try and guess who the culprit/killer is in a book, and When Smoke Clears was no different. While I had my guesses and did change my thought of who it was a few times, the one person I really thought it was ended up actually being the killer! But there were so many twists I didn't see coming!

The characters were very well written and I can hardly wait to read the next "Deadly Reunion" novel after that cliffhanger of an ending!

If you want to read a pulse-pounding thriller, with many twists and so much suspense, I'd recommend When Smoke Clears because that is what this book was to me! I loved it!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher for my review. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*

"Available February 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group."

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, February 25, 2012
The genre of mystery novels, particularly within Christian Fiction, is one of my favorites.

When I was first introduced to the genre of Christian Mystery novels, one of my favorite authors was Dee Henderson (shes still is one of my faves), and now I can add Lynette Eason to the list. I have actually read a number of Eason's books and from the very beginning her writing definitely reminded me of Henderson.

From the very first page you are drawn into the action, mystery, tension-filled scenes and for good measure, a little bit of romance. There is a few different storylines, and the author did a fantastic job of combining them without confusing me, and it allowed me to really get to know the various characters. Two of the big themes seen throughout the book is how to deal with one's past, and the power of forgiveness. There is also a Christian undertone of course, but it is not done in a pushy manner, making the book appealing to even non-Christians. You will not want to put this book down, I know i didn't and finished it in two days!

I cannot wait to read the rest of the Deadly Reunion series! The characters are all fantastic, and wonderfully developed throughout the book.

I highly recommend this book and give it a HUGE thumbs up.

I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications Inc., for the purpose of review on my blog.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wished I'd Read the Reviews Before I Read the Book, October 5, 2012
I'm giving this 2 stars, but that's it. The action was good and the lesson on God was inspiring without being too "preachy". While I do like to read "series" of books, I like each book to resolve itself. Dee Henderson does this expertly in her O'Malley series. Each book is about a different person in a family, but you get to know the whole family better with each book. With this book just when you thought you would find out who really was doing the dirty deed, the book just ended. I had to flip back through the pages to see if I'd missed something. I really wished I'd read the reviews about this book before I read it, I would not have bothered with it. The one phrase that the author used TOO MANY times was, "She chewed on her lip," or a variation of it. Even though the main character got beat up pretty badly in the end, I was surprised she had any lip left to bloody. She just kept chewing on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great read by Lynette Eason!, February 14, 2012
When the Smoke Clears is a great beginning to a new series by Lynette Eason--instantly, your thrust into the action as Alexia finds herself inside of a burning house, searching for a child, when her air runs out. What a way to grab the reader's attention!

I was so excited when I saw Serena Hopkins (a character from The Women of Justice series) was a friend of the main character, Alexia Allen. While she was the only familiar name, I thought it was too cool that Eason kept something from her previous series. And just like the characters from that series captured your heart, so will the ones in When the Smoke Clears. Alexia is strong and seemingly independent...at least, she's had to be independent her whole life. But when Hunter comes into her life, she finds out that she doesn't have to shoulder all the burdens alone.

There was one thing that I had a bit of a problem with. When Hunter gets shot, once he has it bandaged up, there is only one other mention made of it after that. It just kinda felt weird that afterwards, as he's working on the case and protecting Alexia...he never really thinks of it again.

The flow of the story was great, always jumping from one tense-filled, near-death experience to the next! Eason doesn't give the reader rest as the story increases in suspense with every page! And what a cliffhanger you get at the end! I am on pins and needles to see who this mysterious man is who wants Jillian so badly. And now he's after Serena!! Eason's next book can't come out fast enough!

I reviewed this book for Revell. It was not required that I give a positive review, but solely to express my own thoughts and opinions of this book, which I have done.