Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: When the Smoke Clears: A Novel (Deadly Reunions) (Volume 1)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 18, 2012
I really liked this book until I got to the end. Oh right . . . there wasn't an end. I am OK when a book ends and they set you up with a teaser for the next book in the series. But this book did not resolve any of the main plot lines. Oh you found out who 2 paid bad guys were but you never found out what the mysterious event from years ago was that set up the whole chain of events in the book, or where the missing person in the story was located, or where the other missing person in the story was located, etc., etc., etc. If you want to know you have to buy book 2 in the series. Or maybe books 2 and 3 and 4.
66 comments|158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2014
Alexia Allen is forced to take time off from the firefighting job she loves, because her equipment failed, she ran out of air, and she disobeyed an order to save a child. She had been thinking about going home for her high school reunion, so maybe this is the push she needed. Because her family was so dysfunctional, she hasn't seen any of them in ten years. As soon as she returns, however, people start dying, and someone is trying to kill her. Hunter Graham, the police detective who was three years ahead of her in school, is the one bright spot. He seems determined to keep her save and find out what’s going on. As the dangerous incidents pile up, the mystery gets even more muddled.

I loved this book to start with. It is one of the best I’ve read by Lynette Eason and an excellent mystery. It became so good I stayed up much too late to finish it and see who else was involved. It was apparently someone close to Alexia or at least knew her well. Then, the book just ended without anything being solved. I was so disappointed and felt cheated. I think an author has an understood contract with a reader to provide a complete story. To do otherwise, especially without indication, is dishonest. Such practices are bad enough on any level, but, for a Christian writer, it is even more despicable. I feel sure this is not God’s will. It is undoubtedly a marketing ploy to force readers to buy the rest in the series. Well, it does the opposite for me. I will not be manipulated in such an underhanded way. I would never buy the other books in the series now. And, as much as I like Lynette Eason’s writing, I will be leery of her books from now on. I considered whether to give the book one or two stars, for, despite the lack of an ending, it is well-written. However, considering how much I hate this practice, I’m always going to rate books with no ending and no warning of that a one.
2424 comments|174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2012
While the story held my interest, I found the gratuitous insertions of religious dogma irritating. But most of all, I resent purchasing a book that does not end--but merely halts midway--leaving you with no option but to purchase the sequel if you want to know the full story. Rip Off!
11 comment|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2014
I chose this rating because the story never really ended-just abruptly stopped!!! It really kept me wanting to read more, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because it just leaves you
hanging!!!
on March 2, 2012
This book had too much action going on for me! I never could feel comfortable and relaxing because I was reading another attack. But I made myself continue reading to find out who was behind it all and then the book just ends without disclosing that vital piece of information! Maybe the author is thinking that will make readers buy the next book, but not me. If the book is good enough, a person will not need this kind of coaxing to want to read the next book.
11 comment|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2014
NOTE: This is book 1 of a series and it does not stand alone, nor can these books be read out of order. Also, this is a Christian Romantic/Suspense story. I didn't learn any of this from the reviews I read. Now that I have finished the book, I found out in the last 10 minutes of reading that there is no real end to the book. We have to buy the rest of the series to learn the ending of the story. I am offended as a reader to not be told all this before I read the book. I won't be buying the rest of the series as it's too expensive. I won't tell you what the story is about as you can read other reviews to find that out. I will tell you the story line is confusing. I'm giving this book 1 star because I am sorry I wasted time reading it for all the reasons I just described.
on October 5, 2012
I'm giving this 2 stars, but that's it. The action was good and the lesson on God was inspiring without being too "preachy". While I do like to read "series" of books, I like each book to resolve itself. Dee Henderson does this expertly in her O'Malley series. Each book is about a different person in a family, but you get to know the whole family better with each book. With this book just when you thought you would find out who really was doing the dirty deed, the book just ended. I had to flip back through the pages to see if I'd missed something. I really wished I'd read the reviews about this book before I read it, I would not have bothered with it. The one phrase that the author used TOO MANY times was, "She chewed on her lip," or a variation of it. Even though the main character got beat up pretty badly in the end, I was surprised she had any lip left to bloody. She just kept chewing on it.
on May 13, 2014
I was extremely disappointed in this book since the mystery was never resolved. Who writes a mystery without an ending!!!!
on September 28, 2015
Strongly disliked it. Any book should be inclusive in itself. This one is NOT. Most questions raised from beginning are NOT answered and you must get the next book, and probably the one thereafter to finally (hopefully) find the answers you were anticipating from almost the beginning. Will NOT buy any books by this author again. If I do, it will be because I've put her name out of my mind and will probably rate the new book(s) the same way. The author needs to learn to write her books in such a way that the reader DOES NOT HAVE TO BUY THE NEXT BOOK in the series to get answers (or reasons for character's actions). If she had done that, I probably would buy every book in the series as they come out. NO MORE.
on August 28, 2015
I would have rated it "0" because the smoke never clears. There are too many questions left unanswered. I don't want to be coerced into buying another book, and won't even to find out if answers come forward. I would have rated it "5" because the writing is so excellent, but rated it "2" because of the lack of an ending. If I had been provided with an ending, I would be hunting for more books by this author, the writing is that great.