5.0 out of 5 stars When there is no more room in Hell
No! No! No! I was so mad when I got to the end of the book and it was over! When is the sequel coming out because I can't wait to read it...

Published on September 30, 2011 by RandiTS

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, but still better than many zombie novels
I was tempted to give this 3 stars, but honestly it just isn't a good novel. The best part of the story was the character dealing with Iraq before the zombie apocalypse. He should never have bothered with trying to explain the breakdown of society. It was neither well thought-out nor well written.

He has also jumped around from character to character far too...
Published 22 months ago by tegeus-Cromis

5.0 out of 5 stars When there is no more room in Hell, September 30, 2011

The story is of two brothers - one, who has lived in the shadow of his older brother and really didn't amount to much until he had a child. Although his relationship with the mother ended, he is totally devoted to his daughter. When a strange flu starts going around, he gets nervous and arranges for his daughter to come stay with him earlier than his normal visitation. He is planning on "sheltering in place" in his apartment until he gets a call from his brother, asking him to go get his sister-in-law and nephews and get them to safety. His storyline is more what you typically find in a zombie book although I really liked where they ended up to for safety.

The older brother was a marine and is now a solider for hire who is stuck in the Middle East when all of this happens, guarding dignitaries. He now must find his way from Iraq to England and his family. His story line reads more like an action book than a typical zombie story. The author does a wonderful job of making you actually feel like you are with him and his team throughout their trials.

You have the two separate story lines of each brother woven in with a unique perspective from a former male model/business man who is now a zombie. All of the main characters are developed and you feel like you actually know them - even the rather strange one that perhaps you don't want to claim :-)

This is now my favorite "zombie" book - even over some of the more famous authors in zombie literature. It isn't a cheap book but it was worth every cent (or quid since it is set in England :-) and I highly recommend it for being a "total package".

Note: I also liked the fact that the entire world did not end in one day - that always bothers me that zombies or whatever the issue can spread THAT fast..

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, but still better than many zombie novels, October 20, 2012

He has also jumped around from character to character far too much. Multiple points of view can be very difficult for an experienced and talented writer. He succeeded in fracturing the story rather than providing any sense of cohesion.

If he could have written the entire novel with the same sense of believable action that he was able to give to the non-zombie Irag portion this would have been a much better and more enjoyable story. It is disappointing because I feel this could have been a decent action novel dealing with zombies, but it falls far short.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, June 6, 2012
I've read many genre novels and this one is easily in my top 3. The characters are well developed throughout, and it's written by a Brit which is a nice change of pace for the genre which is pretty colonio-centric. The only criticisms I have is that the author spends a bit too much time describing the physical condition of the infected, and the cliff hanger at the end is a bit abrupt. That said, and other than that is was a perfect genre novel that gets your juices pumping, makes you care about the characters, provides insight into the zombie mind, and makes you think lomg after you're done reading it about what you will do when the dead begin to walk and attack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously, probably one of the best books in this genre, April 9, 2012
Just when I thought there was nothing new in the zombie realm, Luke Duffy comes from out of nowhere to unleash this masterpiece. Unapologetically gory, this book reads like a "How To" Guide not only to survive the Zombie Apocalypse but any other as well. This gentleman obviously knows what he is writing about when it comes to things like planning an attack or countering an ambush ("immediate action- charge the ambush"). I appreciate the knowledge Mr. Duffy brings to the table, and his experience bleeds through onto the written page. In fact, one of the most terrifying moments in the book comes early on (no spoilers here) in a whirling battle that has nothing to do with zombies.

This gritty realism sucks you into this world of horror, so that as a reader you can smell the stink of the dead and visualize the undulating dark mass of the undead horde approaching. Anyway, I can't wait to read more of this author's work. If nothing else, I want to see how Marcus and Lee get along.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, January 11, 2013
I really enjoyed both books and will wait patiently for book # 3 because now I need to know what happens to the survivor's next.Talk about a cliffhanger ending!I thought it was well written and found myself totally absorbed by each of the characters story lines.I even found myself liking Andy and feeling incredibly sorry for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very very good read, January 5, 2013
Prentice (MCDONOUGH, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
I am a big fan of this apocalyptic genre and I really like this book. Mystery, practical issues and overwhelming odds combined in a unique perspective. This is probably the best series in the genre if you want a bit more substance with your decaying corpses. I devoured (pun intended) this first book and the second...can't wait for the third. Talented and fun to read. Well thought out, no technology short cuts, no unexplained mysterious supernatural events used to avoid addressing the hard parts. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, January 4, 2013
I read the first book and loved it. Bought the second and I'm totally hooked. I love the characters. It's very detailed. Zombies are gross. It'll make you throw up in your mouth a little. LOL!

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Wait To Read The Sequel!!, December 18, 2012
The bad: sloppy editing...mainly issues with random POV switches, and random location switches. It's a shame the editing wasn't better because I think it's going to be a deal-breaker for some readers, which would be a real shame if they chose not to finish this story.

Steve and Marcus are two brothers in two different countries when a flu virus ravages the world's population. One brother tries to hold up in his apartment with his daughter, until it becomes apparent that there is more to this virus than just a fatal illness, and he tries to survive with others (including his brother's family) at a safari park. The other brother, a marine now working with a private security team, realizes that he will have to journey through several hostile countries to get back to his family.

At first, I was more interested in the security team's situation, but when the two storylines begin to merge together, I was sitting on the edge of my seat, racing through pages, wondering if the brothers would ever manage to be reunited.

Despite the editing issues (which I sincerely hope will NOT happen again), I am looking forward to reading the sequel. Somehow Luke Duffy managed to take the typical zombie survival story and turn it into an action-packed family drama overflowing with all kinds of horror - not just the undead threat.

I strongly urge readers to make an effort to finish reading this book...I think you will find the ending very rewarding!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, January 22, 2013
This writer is very good. I read this and the sequel and found them both very entertaining. I hope to see more in the future by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, December 20, 2012
I like reading how people cope in England versus the US with zombies, its much harder to survive without guns everywhere, ammo. Valuable lessons there to survive in general with little.

When There's No More room In Hell: A Zombie Novel (Volume 1)
When There's No More room In Hell: A Zombie Novel (Volume 1) by Luke Duffy (Paperback - February 11, 2012)
$14.95 $13.46