4.0 out of 5 stars Another adventure through time
4 1/2 stars
Published on January 15, 2012 by lovestodive

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough meat on these bones for me
When the Walls Fell is a fun and frothy romp that I think will satisfy many readers. But, personally, I felt like it could have delivered more substance.

Published on July 1, 2012 by S. Emoto

4.0 out of 5 stars Another adventure through time, January 15, 2012
4 1/2 stars
We catch up with Simon and Elizabeth a few months after they return from New York where they are semi-living with each other and very much in love. Once again they will be transported back in time, this time to San Francisco a few days before the great earthquake. Charged with the deed of preventing the death of a member of the council, Simon and Elizabeth once again meet a number of colorful characters and get into and out of trouble.

Ms. Martin once again takes us off in a grand adventure to another time and place, introducing us to interesting people and exciting times. San Francisco of 1907 plays a strong part in this installment of Simon and Elizabeth's adventures and it was fun to see the city in that time frame. What an exciting time to live, Ms. Martin brings it to life beautifully and I really felt like I was there.

Simon is the same old Simon, stodgy and very English; he is madly in love with Elizabeth and doesn't know how to deal with this new relationship thing. It was fun to watch him bumble through and make mistakes, my heart just wept for him at times. He does have a clever mind and uses it very well, before he travels back in time and while in 1907. I think he would be a good fellow to have around in a pinch and he certainly isn't bad on the eyes. Elizabeth is the opposite of Simon and so good for him, she loves him but understands she has to stand on her own. She has a way of getting herself into to trouble and, bless her heart, she attracts some of the strangest people. I really enjoyed her exploits and watching her get herself out of the spots she got herself in to. She and Simon are so different from each other but somehow make it work.

We meet some interesting characters in 1907, some of the finest of San Francisco's elite and some of the working people that make the place run. We get some really quirky people this time around and they were fun to meet, I would have liked to have gotten to know some of them more and was sad to leave some behind.

While it's not totally necessary to read the first book to keep up with this one, it wouldn't hurt. It would help the reader to understand the dynamic between
Elizabeth and Simon and understand the background behind the time travel, but it's pretty easy to catch up if you haven't read it. I have to say, I enjoyed this book more than the first one, we seemed to get to know all the people better and the story was a more interesting and believable one for me. I would recommend anyone who enjoys time travel, romance and a little history thrown in to sit down with this book, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would give it a six if I could., September 26, 2011
This review is from: When the Walls Fell (Out of Time #2) (Kindle Edition)
First let me say that I thought Out of Time was a great book. When the Walls Fell is even better. Honestly.

Even though we got to spend a lot of time with Elizabeth in OoT, I feel like this book showed us her character even more. Loved the time period, loved the supporting cast, loved the train of surprise that ran over me on a couple of occasions; I loved it all.

Even the smallest of characters were given enough life that I can still see their image in my mind. Ms. Martin did an incredible job with this, and even though WtWF just came out, I'm going to beg for the next one soon. Please?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!!!!, September 27, 2011
This review is from: When the Walls Fell (Out of Time #2) (Kindle Edition)
After reading the first book "Out of Time", I was anxiously awaiting the second. I was not disappointed. Not only do we have two wonderful lead characters Simon and Elizabeth, the secondary characters were full of personality and come to life on the pages. The romance and excitement is still there with Simon and Elizabeth, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. The story itself pulled me and I felt like I was experiencing a major event toward the end of the book (I will not mention what that is). I simply loved this book and look forward to the third in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, Great Lead Characters and Totally Engrossing Story, October 7, 2011
Thomas C. Dulaney (CHESTER SPRINGS, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When the Walls Fell (Out of Time #2) (Kindle Edition)
When the Walls Fell and Martin's previous in the series, Out of Time, are those rare great finds in books that take you away completely, total immersion into the adventures of Professor Cross and Elizabeth West.

Time travel is the interesting mode of transport for these two characters in the series, this time taking the two back to San Francisco just days before the great earthquake of 1906.

What fascinates more than time travelling or the 1906 locale is the relationship between Cross and West. The "push-me-pull-me" give and take of their growing love affair, the self-doubts both have about risking falling in love once more, the internal self-critiques as they struggle along, and the joyous release both find when they cast doubts aside and follow their hearts rings so true.

The intimate scenes are beautifully written, and in a class by themselves in popular literature.

Adventure, Sci Fi time travel, romance in the most adult and mature sense of the word--When the Walls Fell has it all.

Cross, the crusty professor and his beautiful and feisty assistant Elizabeth West are two characters who will be forever welcome into my days and onto my Kindle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough meat on these bones for me, July 1, 2012
This review is from: When the Walls Fell (Out of Time #2) (Kindle Edition)

In this second book in the Out of Time series, Professor Simon Cross and Elizabeth West journey to San Francisco just days before the great quake. A member of The Council for Temporal Studies, Charles Graham, has disappeared from the timeline and the Council recruits Elizabeth to find out who killed his great-great grandfather in 1906. They also ominously hint that if the timeline isn't corrected, Simon could end up never having been born.

My first thought was that the Council has made anything but an air-tight case. It makes very little sense that Simon would disappear. Second, even if they go separately, why on earth wouldn't Simon ask just one question: Where is Elizabeth being sent? Logic is out the window and lots of fluffy filler is in. For instance:

Chapters 6 and 7: They arrive in San Francisco. Very little info of importance to the plot.
Chapter 8: Simon joins a gentleman's club and Elizabeth goes for an automobile ride with Max.
Chapter 9: Max introduces Elizabeth to Graham and she saves him from a tomato.
Chapter 10: Elizabeth goes to an afternoon banquet at which nothing happens. That night, Simon goes to a party at which nothing happens.
Chapter 11: Simon is again at the men's club. He sees Elizabeth's photo in the newspaper.
Chapter 12: They're reunited, go to his hotel and fool around until sundown.
Chapter 13: They go to dinner with Max. Simon throws pebbles at her bedroom window and Gerald is disapproving.
Chapter 14, 3 days left: Elizabeth barges in on Gerald and sees his amputated leg.
Chapter 15: They attend the Graham séance and meet Madame Petrovka. Nothing about the séance is explained.

See what I mean? There's no meat on these bones. Chapter after chapter goes by and they discover only the most miniscule of clues, if anything at all. Also, much is made of the fact that Professor Cross has studied how spiritualists do what they do, but he uncovers exactly zilch about Madame Petrovka's deceptions.

I'd recommend this to people looking for a light mystery -- a very, very light mystery-- but if you want something more challenging and robust, you'll want to keep looking.

(One last thought: I suppose the author isn't a Trekkie, but the title "When the Walls Fell" makes me mirthfully think of "Shaka when the walls fell" from the Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra episode.)

4.0 out of 5 stars More mystery than romance, December 29, 2011
This review is from: When the Walls Fell (Out of Time #2) (Kindle Edition)
I loved the first book in this series, and I was very excited to read the next installment from this author. While I liked this book, I didn't love it.

While the first book was heavy on the romance, this novel is not. The heroine and hero already know they love each other, and their isn't a lot of tension. The majority of this novel is a mystery set around the backdrop of Victorian San Francisco. The author does a fabulous job writing and creating this world, but I read mainly for romance. There was an a little bit of romantic tension, but for the most part, they were a happy couple who just happened to be trying to stop a murder. While I have reread the first book, I don't think I will reread this one. Don't get me wrong, this is a good book. I just need more romance. If you like reading mystery novels, you will probably like this book. One thing I really like about this author is her choice of settings. Both novels were set in locations and time periods that aren't often seen in the romance genre. The world building is always interesting and well done.

Again, this is a good mystery but an ok romance novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Likable characters in a in interesting story, October 16, 2013
Liz C (Fullerton CA 92833) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When the Walls Fell (Out of Time #2) (Kindle Edition)
While parts may be predictable, I like the characters and found the story interesting. I will continue to read this series but do wish that the conflict between the main couple wasn't the same in each book. And is she really so compelling that men in every time fall in love with her?

3.0 out of 5 stars When the walls fell, August 12, 2013
This review is from: When the Walls Fell (Out of Time #2) (Kindle Edition)
I wish the books were a little longer in length. The seem hurried and rushed at the end, and abruptly finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have another favorite series, July 11, 2013
This review is from: When the Walls Fell (Out of Time #2) (Kindle Edition)
This series is captivating. I was able to get the first free but will definitely be buying the rest. The characters have so much depth I just finished it and I miss them already. I love the beautiful descriptions of the city and the people. I felt connected to the era we visited through those descriptions and through Elizabeth's observations. Adventure, great characters, sweet romance, and a unique perspective on history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old San Francisco, July 11, 2013
Reading this series is like watching the best documentaries on key points of historical events. It takes a while to warm up to Simon and Elizabeth. He's an uptight brit, older than Elizabeth. She is a younger, ditzy kind of "chick" who loves to get in trouble and blurts out whatever she thinks. This is the second in the series and is farely accurate to the earthquake that took the city to its knees. She reports the destruction accurately and weaves the characters into a separate time travel sequence. It's easy to balance the two stories and you will find yourself wishing for the next moon to take them home, but you hate to leave the new characters they have met. You will feel the reality of the period in dress and demeanor...and its a fun read.

When the Walls Fell (Out of Time #2)
$3.99