5.0 out of 5 stars The Music of Words
Published on January 1, 2009 by Cathy S. Umbehagen

1.0 out of 5 stars rip off
Published on December 31, 2010 by Asha

5.0 out of 5 stars The Music of Words, January 1, 2009
This review is from: When Women Were Warriors Book I: The Warrior's Path (Kindle Edition)
"All the women of my family had gone to war... Now my turn had come...So it is the custom that a free woman leave her mother's house to bind herself and those of her blood to a neighboring clan, either by the sword or by the cradle." Set in the British Isles during the Bronze Age, thus begins the tale of Tamras, just sixteen, as she leaves her home and everything she knows to continue the custom of her clan and journey to become a warrior's apprentice. The story is told from the perspective of the main character who has led a quite sheltered life prior to this point.

From the title the reader would expect simply a tale of battle and blood, but this story instead surprises and mesmerizes one in its wonderful intricate weaving of words that become a delicate fabric of story and feeling. Words flow like a gentle meandering stream and one is swept up in the actual thoughts and emotions of the main character as she experiences growth and change when she enters the world of a warrior's apprentice. The battles in the first book of this trilogy are few and are not the main focus of the story.

I am a book lover and have been an avid reader of many genres for over fifty years. I do enjoy a good story just for the sake of the story while often thinking that the writing is simply mediocre. Seldom, however, do I read a book where I feel that the actual writing drives the book. This book is a true gem not to be missed. There are so many books out there to be read, but a limited number where the telling is as good as the tale. This is a book for those who love the smooth feel of words on their minds as a story progresses rather than just the action driving the book.

Note: Because of the imposed segregation of the women in this society of warriors, this story does have a couple of scenes of female sex.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Pleasure, January 31, 2010
Since getting my Kindle I've read quite a few self-published stories and books, and while some of that stuff is so bad as to be unreadable I've had fairly good luck with picking fiction that is at least decent, even if somewhat flawed. Usually the flaws show up in lack of editing and proof reading, but often times the writers show a lot of promise or talent.

When Women Were Warriors by Catherine M. Wilson is an exception in that it's a very polished, professionally crafted book by a self-published author who as far as I can tell doesn't have any traditional publishing credits. I ended up being very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the writing and the book.

Wilson's writing is very smooth and she does an excellent job of creating intriguing characters with depth. The story is slow in unfolding, and yet the pacing is just right so that it doesn't drag. The book kept me interested all the way through, even though there really isn't any action to speak of or major exciting events. Which again points to the skill of the writer. The story is primarily about the experiences and internal changes the characters undergo.

I would label the book as fantasy in that it's medievalish in what appears to be more a made up world than historical. But it's not traditional fantasy, in that it's only kinda swords and without the sorcery. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a well-written, character-driven story about female warriors within a predominantly female setting.

Here's a quote from the book I really liked:

"I tried to remember how I had felt at home when I was looking forward to seeing someplace new. Everything there was so familiar that I longed for something different. Now I longed for just one familiar thing. I felt like a bird, caged all its life, set free by an open window and cowering upon the windowsill."

Kindle Note: The Kindle edition is extremely well done.

I am disappointed the 2nd and 3rd Kindle books in this trilogy (at the time of this writing) are priced at ten bucks each. That's the price I expect to pay for new ebooks from traditional publishers released at the same time as hardcovers. I'm willing to pay five to six dollars for self-pubbed ebooks of this quality, which is the equivalent of buying a backlist or new paperback release title from a mainstream author. But as it is I won't be getting to see how the story continues and ends with this pricing scheme.

My opinions about pricing are not reflected in my rating of the book as I don't believe that's appropriate. Books should be rated and reviewed on their own merits. But I included the comments because pricing is part of some people's consideration as to whether they want to read the first book or not. The end of the first book does leave the reader hanging a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great read!, November 26, 2011
On vacation with my trusty Kindle, I happened to notice this book was available for free download. Got a sample, was intrigued, ordered the book. Read through it in two days and was so taken with the characters that I actually ordered - and paid for! - the second in the series. I've just bought the third, and am completely engrossed. Yes, perhaps not as detailed as Rothfuss or Martin - she's a new author, hey! - I found I didn't miss any of the detail at all. Reminiscent of early Valdemar (Mercedes Lackey) stories. Worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved reading this book, January 18, 2009
Lee Frank "Lee F" (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This title would never have attracted my attention, however I saw an offer on "kindlekorner" for a free copy of Book 1, so I took advantage of it. When it arrived I was in the middle of reading "Blind Man's Bluff". I decided to put it aside and just read the first few pages of "When Women Were Warriors". It really caught my attention so read the first couple of chapters. At that point I could not put it down, as I was consumed in the story and continued reading until the end. Then I finished the book I had been reading. I just purchased book 2 & 3 and have already started reading book 2. I am so happy I saw the free offer for Book 1, because reading it really expanded my horizon. This author really paints a clear understandable picture in these three books. Excellent read!

1.0 out of 5 stars rip off, December 31, 2010
First and foremost this IS NOT a trilogy. These three "books" equal one book. The first book, which I purchased for my kindle for $1, has NO CLIMAX. At this point I was interested in the story, so thought I would give the benefit of the doubt and buy the second "book".It was $9.99 on kindle, which is a lot for any e-book as far as I'm concerned. The second book starts on chapter 28,(hmmmm) the first book ended on chapter 27. See where I'm going with this!! Oh yeah, and it has a climax, BECAUSE IT'S THE MIDDLE OF THE BOOK. These are not books unto themselves, and not parts of a trilogy, simply PARTS OF A BOOK. This person took a book, ripped it in thirds, slapped covers on and voila, trilogy. I don't appreciate this sly tactic. It's actually not a bad story from what I've read and I would have liked to read it through, but baiting people to pay $21 for an e-book ( much more for a hard copy) is wrong. They can keep their third "book". I can do without.

1.0 out of 5 stars This story is of a kingdom of women, lacking ..., October 6, 2014
This story is of a kingdom of women, lacking in purpose, lesbian sex. Not at all what I expected. Unfinished. Not worth free download.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, April 18, 2013
R. Wark (Newmarket NH) - See all my reviews
I didn't finish this book, one of the few ever, and I can't really say it's a bad book, just not what I wanted. I love historical fiction, and I thought this would be an account of women warriors, well, making war. Seeing conflict from a different perspective is interesting, but this seemed to be about a young proto-warrior's coming of age, feelings, and loyalty to her warrior. If you want 250 pages of sincere dialogue, personal revelation, and heartfelt emotions, this is a book for you. Me, I wanted stuff to blow up. Or something. I'm a guy, what can I say.......I'd recommend it with that caveat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Myths and truth, January 2, 2009
_When Women Were Warriors_ attempts to create a mythology based on female power to both give and take life. The setting is a traditional feudal culture based on herding and trading--and stories and family ties. The narrator and heroine is a girl aspiring to become a warrior who learns from her many teachers many skills of physical, psychological, and spiritual self-control. All in all the book is a sensitive exploration of ties that bind and the process of growing up. I think it could be a good book for girls learning themselves.

1.0 out of 5 stars Where's the "warrior" part?!, October 2, 2012
For a book about women warriors, there was almost nothing about fighting or training! She barely picked up a weapon! And I'm all for portraying lesbian couples, but just like many books focus only on hetero couples to the exclusion of gay couples etc, this book just did that in opposite. I mean it's speculative fiction so you could create a world of just lesbians, but it wasn't that kind of world so why not make more characters of both orientations? So I guess my main beef is that the title is totally misleading. It was an interesting book about people relationships, but not much else. And having a main character that's such a puppydog obsessed with someone, made for quite a tiresome read. And I've read sooooo much fantasy over the years about female warriors, about lesbian couples, about cool new worlds, but this is just lacking an interesting or exciting story/plot, although the writing style is great. And yes I realize it's Part 1 of 3, but like others have said... it was so uninteresting I would never bother to read the next ones.

2.0 out of 5 stars Well, as I didn't know this was lesbian fiction ..., October 10, 2014
Well, as I didn't know this was lesbian fiction, I was quite surprised by the, um, relationships between the characters. Even if I had known, it is not very entertaining.