5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure
When You Come Home is the kind of story that leaves you feeling that you never want to close the pages. If you can keep the book open, you will maintain connection with the people inside.
Published on July 4, 2012 by Kim

3.0 out of 5 stars simple but sweet
This story was pretty simple; no twisted plot lines or big surprises. The characters weren't terribly complex, though they were just human enough that I could connect. The writing maybe wasn't the best, full of cliches and sometimes stiff dialogue. It felt kind of like reading a letter an older relative left behind to tell her story, which is kind of what it is. And you...
Published 17 months ago by Lori Ann

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure, July 4, 2012
I was priviledged to meet Nancy Cavin Pitts and hope one day to meet her again to thank her for sharing a most deeply moving story of a time we can never forget and a love we never want to. Read it. Share it. You'll never be the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving story of lost love in wartime, December 11, 2011
John Flora (Brookland, AR United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Daphne Cavin's story is perhaps the most memorable of all the stories I've been privileged to tell in my newspaper career with The Indianapolis News and The Indianapolis Star.
Daphne shared her memories and her scrapbook documenting her brief marriage to a soldier who was killed in action in southern France in 1944. I wrote her story in February, 1998 and it took on a life of its own when Tom Brokaw's researchers discovered it and included it in the best-selling "The Greatest Generation." Brokaw put Daphne on the NBC Nightly News multiple times and she became a symbol of the sacrifices made by war widows.
Her daughter Nancy Cavin Pitts has done a wonderful job of fleshing out Daphne's poignant story in "When You Come Home." It makes this war widow's story come alive in rich detail in ways that newspapers and television never could.
Nancy Cavin Pitts has given us the definitive portrait of a World War II war bride whose love was lost in the defense of freedom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Written - Can't Put it Down When Start, July 10, 2012
This is a Wonderfully Written book that you can't put down once you start. As you read it takes you back to the World War II Era and gives you great insight to the emotions, fears, struggles, and a taste of the daily life in the years near and during the War. It is a great testimony to true love and the sacrifices love endures and carries us through in our lives. Gives you renewed thankfulness for the sacrifice and service of those, and their spouses and families, that protect and have protected the US and our freedoms. A definite must read. Thank you for sharing and gifting us with this wonderful love story.

5.0 out of 5 stars When You Come Home, October 11, 2012
I thought this book was very well written, and the fact that it is true, made me love it even more. What a time period and what a history lesson was captured in this story. I remember my parents and grandparents talking about different events that occured in this story and it made me feel nostalgic. Although it was sad, it also showed how a woman was able to persevere through one of the most difficult times in her life. The heroine was a true "liberated woman" in an era when it was not popular to be one. Her daughter (the author) caught the emotions of her mother and put it to pen in a loving and inspiring manner. I'll never forget this one!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Period Piece, December 2, 2012
This is a good book that will appeal to the Christian Right. The story is well written and believable but I personally found it a little too Christianity oriented for my taste. That being said, I did enjoy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful true story of love, August 15, 2012
I am a history buff and love reading about the WWII era so this Kindle ebook caught my eye. That is is a true story made it all the more appealing.

It is a beautiful story told mainly through the eyes of Daphne, with historical facts woven through, accurate and informative to anyone born after the late 1940's.

It was not a difficult read, I read it yesterday and kept coming back to it every chance I had. And though I knew what was coming it captured my emotions nonetheless, the powerful love story saw to that.

My Dad was a WWII vet, but his stories always focused on the actual war and serving in the Pacific, this story boosts my respect for those who lived in that time even more.

5.0 out of 5 stars When You Come Home: The True Story of a Soldiers Heroism, His Wife's Sacrifice, September 6, 2012
I thought this was a very good book. I have recommended it to several people. I definately think it is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars When You Come Home, September 6, 2012
This is a very moving true story that a lot of people will be able to relate to. It's also a 2 tissue box book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspirational Story!, October 24, 2012
Gail (Lebanon, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When You Come Home: The True Love Story Of A Soldier's Heroism, His Wife's Sacrifice and the Resilience of America's Greatest Generation (Paperback)
Nancy Cavin Pitts told her mother's story beautifully in WHEN YOU COME HOME. Daphne and I were close friends and the sister I never had. Several times we sat side by side on her sofa while she opened that black scrapbook and shared stories about Raymond. She was a second-time widow when we met, and often talked about Marvin as well. He was the father of her four children...a good man; a hard worker. But theirs was a settled, grown-up kind of love. Without her ever saying so, I knew Raymond's claim on her heart was permanent. I felt it when she turned those pages. I heard it when she said his name. I saw it each Memorial Day at church when she furnished a red-white & blue flower arrangement to grace the piano. She was still thinking of her soldier. Nancy allows us to know the young, sometimes giddy Daphne. Her careful research enables younger women to experience the very different culture of the 40's before television, cell phones, email and Facebook. It's good for us to know about a time when parents enjoyed respect and good reputations were desired. Wedding nights celebrated finally the right "to have and to hold from this day forward". Without a blitz of technology, the radio and daily newspaper quietly informed the family. Letters were read over and over; not deleted. Daphne's family loved her through her sadness. The Lord strengthened her and made her a role-model, not only for her peers but all of us. She was a lady in every sense of the word. Her story will inspire our children and grandchildren. We NEED to cry for the men and women who gave their lives for our country. I think this book will be around a long, long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasure to Read, October 7, 2013
Lovely book about a great generation and a great love. Well written and very heart felt! A must read for those who enjoy a good story.