I came across this book while browsing the Internet the other day and immediately wanted to buy it because it looked so good, but I couldn't justify spending the money. Things are that tight right now. So I prayed, and God answered my prayer with an unexpected Amazon gift card in the amount of $10...just enough to buy the digital copy of this book without spending any of "my" money. That was a miracle in itself!

It only took me about two to three days to read this book. It's easy to understand and is so practical. I love all the prayers and look forward to praying many of them daily now as I wait for God to show me miracle after miracle...blessing after blessing.

Be warned, though: If you start praying the prayers in this book, you will get closer to God, and you will be blessed, but you will also be ATTACKED by the enemy because he doesn't want you get to closer to God. He wants to keep you as far away from God as possible. Don't let him. Buy this book, and open up your heart and life to what God wants to do in, and through, you.
on August 25, 2012
Linda Shepherd has tackled a tough topic and I was curious as to how she would unwrap it in a believable process. Immediately I felt the authenticity and passion of her heart for following God. Linda has her own stories of pain. She has seen God unleash miracles in her life in a way that perhaps were not what would not have chosen, but nonetheless, she sees them as God's best for her life and the life of her family. Linda has built credibility with me because she does not contrive to make a case for God, but she allows the truths of God's word to build the case for miracles. I see Linda as a woman of prayer, and has come to realize that prayer is the source of all power and the unleashing of miracles.

I read this book one chapter at a time because I wanted to soak in what Linda had written. I especially spent time on the beautiful prayers. I began to realize how those prayers are pivotal to seeing AND believing that miracles are available to us and they are all around us.

I highly recommend having this book at your bedside to read one chapter a night. It will build your faith and fuel a passion for knowing God's power in your life at a deeper level. Buy this book for yourself and buy 10 others to give to those people in your sphere of influence that need a miracle.
on August 14, 2012
"When You Need a Miracle" is predominantly a book about prayer. Linda Evans Shepherd takes you step by step in learning how to pray and also what hinders prayers from being answered.

She shares from a deep, personal place reflecting on some of her own life experiences. She discusses two incidents when she especially needed a miracle. One had to do with her brother and the other had to do with her daughter.

The chapter which spoke the most to me was Chapter Five, entitled The Forgiveness Factor. This chapter delves into the importance of forgiveness.

My favorite chapter was Chapter 7 entitled, Fighting the Enemy. I learned some very powerful prayers in this chapter which I will continue to implement in my own life.

Overall, there is much to glean and learn from "When You Need a Miracle". I recommend this book to anyone struggling in their life and desire a miracle through answered prayer.

In conclusion, I want to thank Revell for sending me a complimentary copy of this book to read and review.
on July 15, 2012
I believe all the miracles in the Bible happened. I also believe that miracles still happen today. Just not to me.

This book has changed that. I now believe that miracles can be part of my life.

I was a little late receiving this book, so have not completely finished reading it. As I continue to read through this book, I've become a believer.

I know God can and will work miracles in my life.

How exciting is that!
on August 4, 2012
"God makes the impossible possible every day."--from the foreword by Don Piper, bestselling author of 90 Minutes in Heaven

God still is in the business of miracles.

God is big enough to rescue us from heartache and circumstances beyond our control. He doesn't always do so, but for a variety of reasons. Maybe we didn't ask, believing. Maybe receiving it would bring more harm than good. Or maybe, the answer is wait.

But when we want to ask God for the impossible, Linda Evans Shepherd shows us how to reach out to God and ask, believing. She shows how God's answers are not always delivered in neatly wrapped packages, sometimes they are not at all what we expect! But she also shows us how they will transform our lives.

Linda Evans Shepherd uses solid biblical teaching and dramatic real-life stories, starting with the basics of making sure you are a child of God.

The book includes prayers to pray and scripture to quote out loud, and is great for helping those who don't know how to begin get started - or as a guide-line for your personalized prayer.

WHEN YOU NEED A MIRACLE is not a book to read if you are looking for God to be a magician and magically hand you whatever you ask for. It is sound biblically and will help even a sometimes or hesitant pray-er become someone who can boldly approach the throne of God. And believing, whatever His answer is. Highly recommended.
on July 14, 2012
In When You Need a Miracle, Linda Evans Shepherd shows you how God loves to turn impossibilities into realities. I love her biblical approach and inclusion of basics: helping readers first begin a relationship with God, then moving on to demonstrate through Scripture, true life examples, and strong principles--factors like trust, love, forgiveness, praise, fighting our enemy, and others--that help develop an intimate relationship with Him. Shepherd's principles are not new, but they are powerfully packaged--and I believe anointed with the Holy Spirit's direction--as she demonstrates those principles from her own life and the lives of others.

These words by Linda early on in her book will quiet the skeptic who might consider the prayers she has offered (or any material in her book) as formulaic: "I really believe you will experience miracles, not because you will learn how to pray powerful prayers. I believe you will experience miracles because you will draw nearer to God and his presence. Miracles are about what happens when we welcome God's presence and power into our situations and lives." I so agree with Linda.

There are no formulas here. Linda even cautions against that--and warns against those who would cause others to feel guilty in their well-meaning efforts to help. For example, she gives valid reasons why some receive earthly healing, but not everyone. I believe what makes Linda's book stand out from others are her solid biblical truths. The prayers she offers are based on Scripture, which fleshes out the truth that "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God" (Romans 10:17). Some of the "truths" she includes in her book will help others cut through the hindrances to God's working in their lives, allowing them to find freedom--which is a miracle many need.

I read Linda's book in two sittings, and I highly recommend it. Revell sent me a complimentary book for review.
on July 13, 2012

The Trust Factor
The Love Factor
The Truth Factor
The Forgiveness Factor
What Hinders Our Prayers?
Fighting the Enemy
More Strategies for Fighting the Enemy
The Praise Factor
The Sold Out Factor
The Next Step Principle
The Intercession Factor
The Miracle of it All
Conclusion

"You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:14

Linda begins her sweet book by showing her readers the pathway to the Presence of God, instructing her readers to "take a deep breath and speak the words of Jesus aloud: Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me." This delightful book is filled with spiritual inspiration, Bible verses and prayers on different subjects, which are perfect for those times when we don't know what or how to pray.

"So how can we connect with God? The good news is that God, unlike most celebrities, will answer us when we call."
Each chapter is filled with spiritual insight and a section called "Miraculous Prayer as well as "Scripture to Ponder", which is to be read aloud. If the book has not given you a good enough start, you can also visit her website for tips for praying for miracles at: [...]. As the world around us seems out of control and war, disease, poverty and famine surround us, we all need an added dose of inspiration and instructions on how to cultivate a deeper commitment and relationship with God.

"The truth of how God wants us to pray for the miraculous follows these principles:
1. God wants us to pray in truth. Know whom you are praying to (God).
2. God wants us to pray his will. Ask God to show you his will in the matter.
3. God wants us to pray in trust. Trust him with his answer, no matter what.
4. God wants us to pray in faith. Pray believing he is able and will do what he says he will do."

This book is a wonderful teaching tool for every individual willing to take the time to learn more about prayer and grow deeper in their relationship with the Lord. It is a valuable resource for the Church and would be great for small group study, as well as for individuals. I will keep it on my bookshelf next to some of my other great prayer resources.

5 stars.
on July 15, 2012
I don't review many non-fiction books, but had this one offered and it sounded good, so I got it.

The book isn't a long one, coming in at just 202 pages, but the author packs a lot into those 202 pages. She tells several stories of people who received miracles, talks about how to pray for miracles, and addresses some other very helpful issues such as why prayers are not answered, how to pray for the right things, and things that hinder our prayers. Scattered throughout the book are also prayers to pray in different circumstances and for different things.

I enjoyed the book. The author made me think and makes a great case for miracles today.
on August 6, 2014
We read this in our book club. Most persons found it very readable and helpful in their growth. I did not find it as helpful as some of the other books we have read for discussion. It had good points, but not as deep as some are to make you really explore your own thoughts on this subject.
on July 14, 2012
"When You Need a Miracle" helps readers learn how to ask the Lord for ordinary or unordinary miracles in their lives. It covers many topics such as trust, truth, unforgiveness, and praise which are explained using different Scripture references. Linda Evans Shepherd shares stories of situations that have happened to her and people she knows to illustrate some of the points made. There are different prayers listed in each chapter to pray in regards to the topics in those chapters. It often lists more than one prayer in each chapter. There is also "Scripture to Ponder" at the end of each chapter.

This book has been such a blessing to me; I can't even find all the words I need to explain how it has blessed me. It arrived at just the right time for me to read it without whizzing through it. I believe it was totally put in my life at the right time when I needed to draw closer to God. I found myself going back to pray some of the prayers over and over again as I was progressing through the book. I loved how there were Scriptures to Ponder to read aloud at the end of each chapter. I read some of them aloud and often thought what I read was so amazing I often reread the Scriptures because they were so inspiring to me. It is a book I can picture myself grabbing out of my book cabinet many times because the prayers often comforted and helped me communicate better with God.

I recommend this book to anyone that needs prayer for miracles in their lives and wants to draw closer to God in the process.

Available July 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Revell for this review.