Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

When will Alaska get service?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2008 4:51:46 AM PST
DeanaBo says:
Can Alaska ever expect to receive Kindle's wireless service? Does anyone know when this service might occur?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2008 6:00:39 AM PST
M. St Clair says:
That would be up to Sprint, the company which actually provides the service. You might want to check with them. However, until Alaska gets a whole lot more people, I'm guessing that it's not going to be a hugely profitable market for cell phone carriers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2008 9:13:51 PM PST
hdtravel says:
Amazon needs to provide "roaming" service with other carriers as there is a lot of areas that do NOT have Sprint coverage. I live in New Mexico and most of the state has no coverage at all and the areas that do have coverage have only slow speed 1X coverage. I am sure that there is wireless broadband coverage in Anchorage and Fairbanks and probably some other large towns in AK, but the carrier is not Sprint. In NM Verizon has a much larger coverage footprint than Sprint, but currently Amazon does not let you "roam" on other carriers either for free or even if you wanted to pay.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 6:06:27 AM PST
Brent says:
No offense, but Amazon doesn't really *need* to provide "roaming" service, or any other service, at this point. It's selling very well as it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 6:58:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2008 6:58:36 PM PST
hdtravel says:
Anyone living in an area without wireless service, please send an email to Amazon and ask them to offer data roaming and/or coverage in your area. The more feedback they receive the better the chances are of getting service and coverage in additional areas.

And to the smart little response from Brent, how do you know it is selling so well. Do you have sales figures ? Maybe there is just a very limited supply causing the long back order. Regardless of sales numbers, I think Amazon does care about customer concerns with the unit and lack of service that many people are experiencing. I think they are willing to listen because they are a very customer focused company.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation) by Amazon.com
4.2 out of 5 stars   (7,983)