Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

When will Kindle next be available?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2007 11:43:52 AM PST
I've heard that Kindle is sold out til after Christmas. When will it be available again? Sounds like a wonderful product I'd like my readers to use.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007 1:23:14 PM PST
Chris Wright says:
I really want to know when the second batch is going to be shipped out. I ordered it on 12/10 and would like to know an estimated shipping date.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 4:56:53 AM PST
Brent says:
Based on other discussions here, Kindles are being shipped out and received every day. It's not a series of "batches."

Right now, people who ordered in late November are receiving their Kindles now. Folks who ordered in very early December got shipping estimates for mid to late December. Folks who ordered in the last week or so get shipping estimates for January.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 6:56:47 AM PST
Sean M. says:
SOME people who ordered in late November are receiving their Kindles now...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 9:00:06 AM PST
Brent says:
Granted.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 10:47:54 AM PST
T. Schiel says:
I ordered mine November 27 and my estimated ship date January 10. Since I live in Colorado, my closest distribution center may not have the quantity of centers closer to larger population areas. I guess it is a little tricky metering out demand across the country to even out shipping dates, so I have no complaints. It will get here when it gets here. I've got books to read in the meantime.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 8:25:35 PM PST
I ordered mine on Nov 27 and have a delivery estimate of January 10 - the bad part is I work at Amazon and I see these going out a lot - it is really hard for me to be patient actually holding them while impatiently waiting for one myself - I am located in KY Danita

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 9:04:43 PM PST
I want one myself, but I'm not buying anything on tentative promises. If I knew that if I ordered today I'd have it by next week, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I have a seminar coming up on January 6th, and I'll be gone for two weeks. I'd even be willing to order one if I could be guaranteed that I'd have it in my hands before then. As it stands, I'll just wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 9:54:38 PM PST
Gary P says:
It said it was sold out but I ordered one for my wife on Dec 6 and it arrived Dec 12. I suppose it depends on just how popular it is and how fast they can make it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 7:28:50 AM PST
P. Bernier says:
Sorry Gary P but I don't believe that for one second. There is no way someone who ordered one 8 days ago already got one, no way. There are people who ordered in November still waiting for theirs. I personally ordered one on 12/3 and I have yet to even get a estimate email. Sorry, but I don't believe you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 7:46:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2007 7:48:10 AM PST
Blackbeard says:
Jeez Sandra, it must be driving you crazy handling them all day while still waiting for your own; kind of like working at a bank and handling all that money!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 3:02:38 PM PST
Sean M. says:
Sandra, at least you have solid proof the Kindle actually exists! I'm starting to wonder, myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 8:10:37 PM PST
J. Laymon says:
I ordered mine Nov. 25th and it was just sent out and due to arrive December 18th in Hawaii. Can't wait!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2007 5:53:04 AM PST
Robert P. says:
I ordered mine on 11/28 and had an estimated ship date of 1/8. Now my estimated ship date has been removed, so it's anyone's guess as to when it will arrive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2007 6:40:39 PM PST
Weaktwos says:
I ordered mine on 12/7 and have not received a delivery estimate yet. *sigh* I eagerly await it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2007 12:19:20 AM PST
Kate says:
I ordered mine Nov 24 and got an estimated shipping date of Dec. 18. I'm in Arizona if that matters.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2007 8:02:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2007 8:04:00 AM PST
GARY- mr. dec. 6- I find that hard to believe.... mine was ordered the last of November....still not even a shipping estimate. sounds like someone trying to cause everyone else to scream!!!

why isn't amazon saying where these are being made, how often they get new ones in to ship out, etc.? since you guys say they are shipping every day despite being out of them.... rather confusing...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2007 8:41:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2007 8:42:04 AM PST
Please see the discussion "Discovercard Secure Online Account Numbers" if that's the method of payment you used, or plan to. I assume most of the people reading this dicussion don't want to wait longer than they have to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2007 12:48:10 PM PST
Anna W. says:
Sean....

I saw it on the internet on 11/19... fretted over spending the money and then bought it on the morning of 11/20. They estimated delivery at 12/4. Later that day the sold out posts went up on Amazon. I received mine on 11/29 - five days early. It exists. It is a wonderful little device. I have not had a moment's regret. When yours comes you'll be happy too. Good luck for an early delivery date.

Jim

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2007 6:17:04 PM PST
DonD says:
I called Amazon's special Kindle customer service number and received absolutely NO information on when Kindles would be shipped. I placed my order on December 9th, and have received no notification about possible shipping dates. Customer service's advice was "be patient." That's it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2007 6:34:27 PM PST
Blackbeard says:
"I called Amazon's special Kindle customer service number and received absolutely NO information on when Kindles would be shipped."

This doesn't surprise me. Shipping dates are most likely not assigned until an actual product in inventory is associated with the order. At that point, the automated scheduling system would be able to determine the warehouse origin, shipping method, and when it is likely to get boxed based on number of orders already "preparing to be shipped". You aren't waiting for a new boatload to arrive. They're arriving all the time and they're going out all the time. What you are waiting for is to come up in the queue. Since the scheduling algorithm can cause shipping estimates to fluctuate based on multiple criteria, they're not going to provide a shipping estimate until all factors are more concrete.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2007 9:38:50 PM PST
M. Schrody says:
Ordered 11/29, still not even a shipping date guesstimate. Seems most people who ordered on the 27th and 28th have gotten theirs, and a few people ordered on 29th and are getting them. I have a hard time believing it is truly "first come, first served". Why can't they at least make public statements about the fulfillment procedure and predictions along the lines of "If you ordered on X date, expect shipment on approximately Y date". I wonder about all the people trying to order them now... when will they get theirs? February? March? In time for Christmas '08?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2007 12:55:30 AM PST
BC says:
I ordered mine on the 27th, but haven't received an estimated ship date yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2007 3:44:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2007 3:44:46 AM PST
Sean M. says:
Yeah, it's all too complex for me, I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2007 4:09:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2007 4:16:17 AM PST
Blackbeard says:
"I have a hard time believing it is truly "first come, first served".

It's not. They have a (patented) algorithm to perform scheduling based on multiple factors. This is why some people can change their shipping method from 2-day to overnight and the ship date moves multiple days even though you would think that it should arrive only one day earlier. If you read the notice on the Kindle page carefully, you will see that they are not really saying that orders are fulfilled first-come-first-serve, they are only scheduled that way.

"Why can't they at least make public statements about the fulfillment procedure and predictions along the lines of "If you ordered on X date, expect shipment on approximately Y date". "

From my experience, Amazon is extremely conservative about ship dates. I've purchased thousands of dollars worth of merchandise through them and they have never missed an arrival date unless something is unexpectedly unavailable, in which case I've received an Email. If they broadcast a general estimate, not everyone will fit that estimate, and those who continue to wait beyond the estimate will be even more ticked off. It's a matter of expectation control.
Amazon deals in incredible volume, and scheduling requires an automated system out of necessity, to maximize efficiency; this is an optimization problem right out of operations research. We're talking about losing millions and millions of dollars in revenue if prioritization isn't tuned right. It does not surprise me that customer support cannot peer into the machine to try to figure out what the ship date will be, given that the automated system itself doesn't know yet.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 31, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation) by Amazon.com
4.2 out of 5 stars   (7,997)