5.0 out of 5 stars My Niece Loves It
Published on January 2, 2012 by user123

Published 14 months ago by Sarah

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My Niece Loves It, January 2, 2012
This review is from: Where Is Baby's Christmas Present?: A Lift-the-Flap Book (Karen Katz Lift-the-Flap Books) (Board book)
My Niece was born the day after Christmas, so she was literally about 1 year old when she received this book. She absolutely loves books and especially enjoys interactive ones where she can turn pages and open flaps. This book provides a nice challenge as the flap on each page opens in a different direction letting her learn and have fun at the same time. We have gone through this cover to cover numerous times and she laughs and smiles the entire time. I highly recommend this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprise!, January 30, 2010
Lucy L. (California, USA) - See all my reviews
My daughter (22 months) has all of the Karen Katz books. She's had them since she was a little baby. She loves to lift the flaps and be surprised. The flaps also help develop fine motor skills too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her early books, but a cheerful addition to our christmas library, April 28, 2013
I like Karen Katz, I do. My kid likes Karen Katz, which is more important. We have lots of her books, and I think it's pretty obvious which ones she gave two figs about when she was illustrating them. This one did not get two figs of attention. The images are colorful, and the peek-a-boo style is still fun for little ones to anticipate and lift the flaps for. This book in particular though, the text is not well matched to the images. For example, the whole book the baby is looking for her present. There are pictures of presents in several of the pages, so my kid immediately said "HEY- there it is! We did it!" and was annoyed that the baby doesn't seem to notice all these other presents hanging around. If you have a detail oriented toddler, be ready to get sidetracked explaining why some presents aren't good enough for this particular curious baby...

There are also a few weird pages that are a mix of her normal, busy patterned illustrations with some random scanned images of real ribbons and wrapping paper. There isn't any rhyme or reason to this mixed media and I don't think it works well. I gives a haphazard feel to the pictures and gives me the sense that this was a throwaway holiday effort on the author's part.

All that said, this is a cute, short and colorful Christmas book that cost less than 10$ and helped us get in the holiday season and fit in my diaper bag. You can probably do better, but I'm sure we'll enjoy it again next year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many "no(s)"!, January 3, 2013
Too many "no (s)"--prefer not to emphasize the negative, but the illustrations are engaging for babies 9 months +. However, the flaps are flimsy and babies do love to tear them off.

5.0 out of 5 stars FUN BOOK, December 1, 2009
B. BALES (POLK CITY, IA) - See all my reviews
My granddaughter loves these books. She loves to flip the flaps and claps when she sees what is underneath.

I like the quality of the material used, very "kid friendly".

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Karen Katz favorite, But Flaps Aren't Properly Attached, June 30, 2014
Got this for my 18 month old around Christmas time because she loves all the Karen Katz books and her signature baby drawings. My daughter LOVED it! She really loves answering all the questions such as "Is it in the closet?" or "Is it in the gingerbread house?" and she loves playing "peek-a-boo" with the lift-a-flaps and seeing what's under each one. It's such an engaging book surrounding the Christmas theme and I like that all the Christmas objects are things we have in our house at that time, like candy canes, stockings, wrapping paper, cookie dough, and gingerbread houses, so it's relateable to her. The illustrations are very colorful also. I really liked that the front cover has the shiny, textured present and was thinking the other illustrations would have that element as well like some of her earlier books, but I was disappointed that the illustrations didn't have shiny/touch and feel elements.

The only downside is that the flaps come off easily - they seem cheaply glued on and so they aren't durable. You'll likely have to tape them back on. But overall, this is a great book and we like it even when it's not Christmas time!

5.0 out of 5 stars the kids love it, April 24, 2014
my daughters loves this. and has loved it from age one to two and a half. now she's memorized it and half the flaps are missing so she uses her hand and pretends. her cousin lived it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, February 22, 2014
My daughter loves these books and the Christmas one was no exception! So cute and colorful! We have many of these books and will buy more.

4.0 out of 5 stars love these lift-the-flap books, February 11, 2014
Kelli D (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
but...my toddler tears every single one of the flaps out of the book (and yours will too). i still love the book and spend the time taping the flaps back in because my daughter just adores this and the other Katz flap books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Christmas book, February 9, 2014
My 18 month-old son has always been into the "lift the flap" books so thought I would purchase a Christmas version around the holidays. It's an OK book but he wasn't into it as much as he is others. He enjoys the Christmas version of Where's Spot, lift the flap book over this one. Good buy if you're looking for a volume of Christmas books but if you're only buying a few you might want to invest in some others before this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›