5.0 out of 5 stars Gifted Writer Weaves Wonderful Tale
Published on August 16, 2009 by Gretchen Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Good storyline but pacing and personalities are a problem
I was hesitant with all the positive reviews because as usual, I just knew something had to be wrong and all these people were blowing lots of smoke or friends of the author and so forth. But I took a gamble and I'm unsure how I feel as a whole.

Published on February 27, 2011 by SunFlowers

5.0 out of 5 stars Gifted Writer Weaves Wonderful Tale, August 16, 2009
You can tell right from the first page that you're reading a book by an award-winning author. The pages keep turning and before you know it, you are half way done with the book! The pacing is great, there is always something new unraveling in the lives of Jessie and Chase, and as you learn more about them, you can't help but hope they'll get past all their problems and find their happy ending. But the problems keep mounting, and you keep reading to find out what will happen next. The story always stays fresh, the secondary characters add flavor to the book, and the descriptions make you really feel like you are back in Wyoming in the 1800s. I thoroughly enjoyed Where the Wind Blows and look forward to the next book by this author. I hope I won't have to wait long!

5.0 out of 5 stars You will LOVE this book!, August 8, 2009
J.F. Meyer (Latrobe, California USA) - See all my reviews
This is a sweet, original, wonderful-to-read story. I've heard it described as Lonesome Dove meets Little House on the Prairie, and that's dead-on-the-money. The characters are fresh and real, and their struggles out-of-the-ordinary yet easy to identify with. Best of all, the book is a page-turner without relying on sensationalism or icky stuff to keep you wondering--and craving--what comes next. It's just a terrific read that leaves you feeling absolutely fabulous. Trust me! Looking for something to lift your spirits? READ THIS BOOK. I just hope it's the beginning of a series, as this author is an outstanding writer and truly gifted storyteller.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good storyline but pacing and personalities are a problem, February 27, 2011

Overall I think Where the Wind Blows has a truly excellent storyline. Everything is just right BUT the pacing is odd and a lot of the personality traits with the hero and heroine were irritating.

THIS is that book. The one where you're getting close to the end...10 or so pages then the REAL bad stuff happens. I don't like drawing out the drama until the very last second because it makes the beginning and middle just feel like filler.

Jessie is a great heroine but with the odd pacing the author flips her personality. Jessie and our hero Chase have a slow building attraction but honestly, at times it just felt like sexual lust over them actually "liking" each other and falling in love. He's been in mourning over his beloved Molly for 3 years and here's a pretty young blond. He's a red-blooded male so naturally he can't stop thinking of her sweet smell, and innocent face and body. He's horny. Jessie, a widow who never consummated her marriage is just finally feeling like a normal woman attracted to a man. At times I almost felt like any man would have sufficed for her.

The kids were perfect. Jessie's late husband Nathan promised her they would adopt a little girl Jessie took care of when she was younger at the orphanage. When Chase comes to tell her of Nathan's death she fears that she won't get little Sarah without a husband. Chase, coming to tell her of Nathan's demise and give her his paycheck forgets the money and comes back just in time for the orphanage director to arrive with Sarah and Chase is mistaken for her husband.

The storyline with Nathan's paycheck is just odd to me and an annoying mention here and there. Chase develops a connection with little Sarah and together with Jessie, Sarah, and Gabe (Sarah's pseudo-big brother and caretaker at the orphanage when Jessie left) become a little family with Chase. Naturally the bad guys are after them but the pacing of it is just so odd and you think the author has forgotten about the bad guys.

Then Jessie moves from being the sweet character to a little witchy with a B and whiny. She doesn't tell Chase vital information to everyone's safety because he's not speaking to her. Which is dumb because who cares when their lives are on the line.

And of course there IS the meddlesome character of Mrs. Hollycock. I was hoping she'd choke on her tongue from all her clucking and interloping. I hated the ending where she tells Chase something that was Jessie's news to tell. Had Jessie told him she wouldn't have been hesitant to think he only stayed because he knew.

Overall there IS a great storyline here but it just went all over the place and flip floppy and character personalities flipped to where you start liking them then don't care for them at all then are left feeling okay about them.

3 stars. Just for the storyline. No stars for the characters overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet cowboy love story - 3-1/2 stars..., October 5, 2010
Chase Logan has one stop to make on his way to Cheyenne. He's agreed to tell Nathan Strong's widow of her husband's death and hand over Nathan's pay. One small task and then the free-spirited cowboy can be on his way to his next job. But one look at Jessie Strong and Chase isn't quite so anxious to hit the road...

Jessie isn't devastated to hear of Nathan's death, but it couldn't have come at a worse time. Jessie has made arrangements to adopt a young girl and the adoption can't go through unless Jessie has a husband. Would it harm anything to pretend that Chase was her husband just long enough for the adoption to be official? And just what kind of "rights" is a pretend husband entitled to?

The part of the story dealing with Chase's growing attraction to Jessie and her adopted family was sweet and engaging. I would have liked to see that develop a little more slowly, as it is Chase goes from cowboy loner to family man in a span of about 3 days. I did like the way domesticity just sort of snuck up on Chase and some of his awkward moments around Jessie were quite funny. The writing is smooth and the author does a nice job describing her characters and drawing you into the story.

Two things that made me hesitant to pick this book up were (1) I usually don't care for kids in my romance reading as they tend to overwhelm the story, and (2) I'm always a little leery that a book tagged as `Inspirational' might be too preachy. I'm happy to say that I was wrong on both counts. The children add to this story and the romance; they don't detract in the least and the story has no overt religious overtones. That said, I did have one big issue with Jessie's character, but I can't explain it without including SPOILERS. So here goes...

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS. Toward the end of the story the author is sprinkling fairy dust left and right and Jessie's life is picture perfect. Then little Sarah is kidnapped and at the same time Jessie discovers something about Chase that makes her think/feel that he has stayed with her out of obligation rather than love. So what does Jessie do? Well, while Chase is out searching for Sarah, Jessie literally packs up her wagon and prepares to make the harrowing two-week journey back to her little cabin. By herself. In the middle of a Wyoming winter. Without telling Chase that she's pregnant with his child. And keep in mind that at this point she doesn't even know if Sarah is dead or alive or if Chase will even find her. A hissy fit that illogical is just plain hard to swallow. END SPOILER.

Overall I did enjoy this story and chose to overlook the little hiccups in the plot. This is a `feel good' read of the first order, and there's nothing wrong with that!

No strong language. There is one love scene and while it's not "closed door", let's just say that the curtains are drawn! Definitely well within the PG range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fine Cowboy Hero to Admire........................., July 15, 2010
Delivering the sad news of Nathan's death to his new widow Jesse, goes from worst to the best experience of this cowboy's life.

Wow! Reading this book was more like watching a very satisfying old fashioned western movie. Our Hero, Chase Logan(wandering lonesome cowboy-the kind we like.....yum) just happens to be in the middle of delivering some bad news to Jesse -when some visitors arrive. The visitors are in fact from the orphanage where Jesse grew up. She and her (now deceased)husband had written and requested the adoption of a 3 year old girl named Sarah. IN a wild moment, Jesse introduces Chase as Nathan. Whoops! The orphanage manager, Mr Hobbs brought along a 13 year old boy named Gage, hoping they would take him as well. Of course "Nathan" says yes(this way he can leave without worrying about the two girls being alone)"Ahhh, the nice guy guilt starts........" He heads out in a blizzard then quickly realizes he forgot to give Jesse Nathan's pay (over $600!) and a locket. When he returns he turns into a bit of a sly-dog thinking he might Really, Really enjoy playing house for the guests a bit..............maybe there will be some benefits involved?...

I really liked the plot, somthing always happening-it never dragged-the characters (secondary ones too) ---Holyhock is a kickin old lady...hahaha-and Gabe is such a mature boy-just like they had to be then. Sarah(cutie-and latching onto Chase-calling him "Da") Even Jake all contribute to this heart warming tale. When Chase and Jesse Marry, the relationship between the two heat up and get complicated. The intimate scenes are never overbearing and actually more on the Romantic, soft sensual side. "nice" The suspense and romance have good little plot twists.

Have a little kleenex handy(every good romance requires it!)

Thanks Caroline-I thoroughly enjoyed this story and will recommend it to all my friends!(and my mom too!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland western, contrived conflict, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Where the Wind Blows (A Prairie Hearts Novel) (Paperback)
Overall, I found this story very bland. It never hooked me, so much so that I would forget to pick it up and continue reading for days at a time which is very out of character for me as a reader. What bothered me the most was that all of the conflict was very much contrived. Basically, you have two attractive and available adults who are attracted to each other but they can't be together because of 100 ridiculous reasons that are purely in their heads. Particularly ridiculous is the dramatic climax where the heroine *spoiler alert* abandons her marriage over ridiculous assumptions that are particularly trivial considering that her daughter has been kidnapped. It's really bothersome to actually finish a novel and have the payoff be something so lame.

3.0 out of 5 stars Where the Wind Blows by Caroline Fyffe, March 10, 2012
Where the Wind Blows is an interesting and mildly complex love story set in the Wyoming Territory in 1878.

Chase Logan, in a moment of weakness, has agreed to travel to the ranch of a friend to tell his wife she is now a widow. Not having met the newly widowed Jessie Strong and uneasy at repeating the circumstances of the death of her husband he is debating his options. Chase's good nature prevails and he rides to the ranch to deliver the unfortunate news.

Jessie is a young woman whose husband is a much older man. She has been left alone to run the ranch during his many absences while he travels to town on business. What business that is she is not sure. Alone and unsure she does her best to manage the stock and home knowing that even with his frequent trips to town her husband is a good man who does his best to take care of her even with the unusual circumstances of their marriage.

This is a nice romance with a good plot and several interesting and unusual characters. The timing of the book is good with frequent twists and plot turns that keep the reader interested. The protagonists are likable without being sticky sweet and the secondary characters are funny and in some cases poignant. It's a good afternoon read that will make you smile.

I would have given this book a higher rating but the grammatical, spelling, punctuation and a couple of continuity errors took away from the enjoyment of reading the book. It would profit the author to have an editor read this novel for her and re-publish it in a clean version.

Karen Bryant Doering

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a sweet romance, March 14, 2013
Avid reader (Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
I don't think this book could pass Christian fiction (CBA) standards, but it's close. If you like a sweet romance free from graphic sex, then this might be for you. The author doesn't exactly close the door, but she leaves most of the details to the imagination.

The writing was good for the most part, although I would have liked a bit more description to help me visualize the physical characteristics of the characters - especially at the beginning. I also didn't buy the hero waiting to give the heroine her money for so long, at least the way it was written. It seemed a bit unrealistic. But, overall, I enjoyed the story and found myself liking many of the supporting characters as well as the leads.

All in all, not a bad read. 3.5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not something I would recommend, March 27, 2012
I like romance novels, but only a specific kind of romance novel...yes, I am picky. I like clean romances. I don't need to read about someone's breasts or bare chest and I especially don't want to read about intercourse. There was one part with intercourse and a couple of spread out words throughout that I really didn't think was needed. I really wish they would rate these books like they do movies and let people know what type of scenes they portray. This is definitely not a book I want my girls to read (nor do I want to read it again) and, for that, will be taking it out of my library.

I enjoy clean, beautiful romances like Emma, Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice.

I really did like the 2 main characters right off. I did feel the others were underdeveloped but I didn't feel like it was too much of a loss due to the fact they weren't huge characters in the book. I did want to see what happened so it kept my interest. The editing was lacking (I wish I had marked the page but a made up word, some punctuation errors) but not too awful.

Mostly the 2 stars was it was too gruesome in sexual details for me (though, I am sure, for some romance readers, this is tame).

Note to writers or publishers: let us know what kind of a read it is beforehand (ie: contains moderate profanity (which this one doesn't), moderate sexuality, etc). I will then, be able to discern that I don't want to read it due to details it contains, and you wouldn't have a 2-star review on your hands;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, April 5, 2012
toddee62 "toddee62" (Western New England) - See all my reviews
What a great story! Chase pays a visit to Jessie a woman who was married to Nathan, a much older man, to tell her that Nathan had been killed. As he's planning to leave, a buggy pulls up and out comes a man with a young child by the name of Sarah and a boy Gabe, both from an orphanage. Prior to Nathan's death, he and Sarah were planning to adopt the little girl. Now that she was a widow, chances were that she would not be allowed to adopt the child after all. That is where Chase steps in. He follows Jessie's lead and agrees to fool the man into believing he is Nathan and married to Jessie. The child stays, the man leaves. The story unfolds after that.

Chase stays on for one reason or another (no need for me to say why and spoil the story) and when a nosey woman from town finds out that he is staying with Jessie, although in a very platonic relationship, insists that they marry to save her reputation. Personally I wanted to be there to slap that nosey, controlling, opinionated woman....at first.

I loved it how Chase and Jessie, by things that happened to them while living under the same roof, got closer and closer to each other and started to wish the marriage was not in name only.

There was some conflict very near the end of the book but that was fine, it didn't last very long. I can't stand it when there are problems throughout (between the couples) and they aren't resolved until the very end. This story included an epilogue which is always nice because I don't like abrupt endings.

I hope you enjoy/enjoyed this one as much as I did.

Where the Wind Blows (A Prairie Hearts Novel)
Where the Wind Blows (A Prairie Hearts Novel) by Caroline Fyffe (Paperback - November 27, 2012)
$12.95 $9.38