Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Where Magic Reigns (Tales of Zura, Book 2)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 22, 2012
While I can't give this five stars (as I did the first of the series), I think it's a fun continuation of the Zura series from Derek J. Canyon. The originality that I felt was the strongest point of the first book is definitely present in this one as well. In this book, we are taken from Earth to Zura, a planet of floating islands, where magic reigns. And the first aliens we encounter are not cute furry mammal-like creatures, but violent scaled reptilian/amphibian beings.

Where I felt that the interactions between the kids was also a strong point of the first book, I felt that this tale fell just a bit short in that area. But just a bit. Overall, I loved the adventurous tone of this story and the strength of vision that the author has about his fictional milieu. I'll definitely buy the third book in the series when it comes out!
on February 1, 2012
Started reading on a Friday night, finished Saturday. Felt like non-stop action! I enjoyed it. If you read the first you'll love this one, if you haven't read the first one... well go do that and come back!
on April 29, 2012
Unlike many sequels, Where Magic Reigns leads me to wait anxiously for the next book.

Like another reviewer, I thought that the action overrode the characters. While I think that may work well for the target audience, I prefer a little more character development.

Even though there's a pretty clean line of demarcation between the first two stories, in my opinion, you'd do well to read the first book, The Elemental Odyssey: Tales of Zura Book One before this one for the introduction to the main characters and the conflict's genesis.

The action is well-written, and non-stop, it felt like. I don't believe Mr. Canyon hijacked a family vacation to do research on these settings, but they are as well written as if he had. The creatures populating this world are inventive, easy to picture and not at all friendly, just as we expect. The settings are not quite as dangerous, but they're also not always what we think. The four main characters don't have quite the development they had in the first book, but that's because they hardly have time to worry about getting home again, though they do do that!

All in all, this is a fun book that deserves a wide readership. I'm anxious for the next story in the series, and if YA fantasy is your cup of tea, you might soon be, too.
on June 21, 2012
I enjoyed the first book in this series. Perhaps, as a reader in his late sixties, I should be disqualified from offering a review. This second book is disappointing on several levels: everyone story line seems borrowed from another tale, most of which were of superior quality. Every crisis the children weather has a solution pop up at the last second, almost always too trite. The final straw was to have the story halt at a critical point with the statement : conclusion in book three, or words to that affect. Think "Narnia" as you read.
on June 24, 2012
With the children constantly falling from one adventure into the next, this book is non-stop action. Set entirely off Earth, the landscape and local wildlife are as large a threat as the inhabitants. Although there are plenty of magical mcguffins to help or hinder the kids, ingenuity and strength of will are what they need to most.

The book does have many explanations for what has gone before, but without reading the first book first, this second book would not be quite as enjoyable. If your kids, or you, are a fan of teenager fantasy adventure, this book is defiantly with a look.

The kindle edition has a very good price, not like some other books that try to charge full price for the kindle edition.