Where to find Original Star Trek the way it first aired on TV on DVD?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 18, 2010 12:06:55 PM PST
bass boy says:
Help, please. I've read conflicting reports from different souces (customers and web sites) on how one can legally hunt down the original episodes from the 1960s they were seen on TV originally, BEFORE the new special effects were added. How can I find the original 1960s TV series on DVD that looks the way it did when it was broadcasted in the 1960s and in reruns throughout the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s? Thanks so much.

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 5:09:57 AM PST
A. Hicks says:
For starters you are looking for the products as shown in this link

Star Trek The Original Series - The Complete Seasons 1-3

Just click on the 'these sellers' link

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 11:02:19 AM PDT
Mike55 says:
You could order the blu-ray version, if have a blu-ray dvd player, since the original unenhanced episodes are also on the disc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2010 12:09:06 PM PDT
SELL.COM has hundreds of TV shows. Including the original ORIGINAL Trek. Ask questions of the sellers to be sure. In the search window type in: STAR TREK - THE ORIGINAL SERIES. The seller is in Pelzer, SC. I have a set of these and they're FANTASTIC!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 5:12:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2011 5:16:24 PM PST
M. Gaudet says:
Not exactly since the footage is still cleaned up and color enhanced with digital video noise reduction. Only the original effects are seamlessly branched not the original non cleaned up video, which is out of print on DVD.

They went back to the original 35mm negative so that things are very apparent that were not in the sixties like bad and cheap sets, effects and costumes not meant to hold up to the standards of the silver screen, only the limitations in broadcast of the time.

I am sure the effects people made these with the limitations in mind and the budget they had.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2011 5:03:54 AM PST
A. Hicks says:
I would recommend the new DVD re-release of the original series - I bought 3 from Amazon.co.uk - for 45 pounds. A friend of mine has the blu-ray version.

I am happy with the DVDs - but I can imagine slight improvements with the picture with the Blu-rays. But I also noted that the picture is still a little grainey. But nothing like the original DVDs I have.

Yes the new special effects look good as well.

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 5:32:16 AM PDT
Eric Edwards says:
In reruns they chopped a great deal of footage off of each episode. See The Nitpickers Guide to Classic Trekkers. I don't think that you can get Trek exactly the way it was on TV because of the shear number and length of the commercials. I think that it is better to have the complete episode on BD or DVD than to try and look for the series chopped up the way it was televised.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2013 5:46:26 AM PDT
A. Hicks says:
I just got the Complete Journey - Season 1, 2, 3 Blu-ray boxset and in part of the special features they state they went back to the original prints to do a digital version, but since some of them had slight tears and dirt marks on them they used computer program to remove the damage.

Mine cost me Au$88 for the three seasons

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Original-Series-Blu-ray/dp/B001S3GDTU/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1381495485&sr=8-10&keywords=star+trek+blu+ray appears to be the Season 1 I have as it has the special feature 'Spacelift: Transporting Trek Into the 21st Century' on it

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2014 11:30:53 AM PDT
You are correct, of course.

The original series broadcasts and the syndicated reruns are not the same in terms of content. In some cases, scenes were reordered, which didn't help matters. In other cases, crucial scenes to the story were cut. All of this was to meet the requirements of television syndication of the time, which asked for (and got) less show and more advertising time. In my mind, the results were really, really nasty for most of the shows.

Few fans saw the series as it was originally broadcast. What most fans will remember are the syndicated reruns and for those, well, you really want the original broadcast shows that are complete. I should mention that Paramount released a series of video tapes of the series on a two shows a month subscription basis. Each tape had two episodes. I believe these were later available through normal commercial outlets and warehouse clubs like Mass Merchandising. I happened to get together with a bunch of Trek fans and watch one of those tapes. They also contained the complete, uncut/unedited episodes, but were VHS quality at best.

What we have here, especially in the Blu-ray discs are the originally aired episodes _and_ enhanced episodes wherein the opening credits and the theme music were remastered, including the original theme music. An extra on the Blu-ray disc explains what was done and what was _not_ done. I have watched the first aired episode of the series and have to say that I am impressed with what was done. First, the original print was cleaned of any blemishes through the digitization process, much like has been done with other restored films. A first, in my mind for a television series. Second, the music for the opening sequence was re-recorded and the original voice-over by Shatner was inserted (it was discovered as a seperate track, making it possible to include the original voice over). Third, exterior shots were redigitized and replaced with vastly-improved shots. If anyone remembers, there were a very limited number of flyby sequences of the Enterprise and they were reused to distraction if you watched the shows marathon-style. In additon, the shots of the planets were really not that good, but they did represent spectacular FX for the time. Now they've been updated and with the digitized Enterprise, are very impressive. Fourth, some on-planet shots without any actors present are boringly unimpressive. In the one episode I watched, those had been replaced, but not overly done in terms of detail so the differences are _not_ glaring between a newly shot CG and the old staged shots.

But, there is a significant problem with the Blu-ray presentation and that is the sound level. It is very low, so low that I needed to increase the volume of my television to abnormal levels, and that is inexcuseable. I'm not sure what can be done about the problem, but it is something that Paramount should have addressed when they restored the show.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jan 18, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Star Trek: The Complete Original Series DVD (Seasons 1-3)
Star Trek: The Complete Original Series DVD (Seasons 1-3) by William Shatner (DVD - 2008)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (1,250)