Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 1, 2009 5:35:40 PM PDT
T. Jackson says:
Hello say where should I actually start, what chapter? I really just want to get the colors and contrast and gray scale correct, still just a little confused after reading the second post. Thanks

Posted on Jul 28, 2009 9:06:50 PM PDT
hipslap says:
The only thing I can help you with is the black levels. Go to "Complete Program Menu" -> "Advanced Video Test Patterns" -> 1080p or 720p -> "Video Black with new PLUGE.

There will be, in this order from the side, a bar that is below black by 4%, a bar 4% above black and the last is a bar 2% above (same on opposite side of screen). You want use the brightness contorl so the 2% above bar is barely visible and the 4% below is invisible. The 4% above is there for reference.

I don't know how to calibrate any other aspects of the picture without a color meter. I'm sure you can improve your picture without one but color accuracy will still, most likely, be incorrect.

This dvd is kind of like a nail without a hammer. You get all of the patterns you will need to calibrate your set but no unbiased eye. Calibrating with the naked eye is very hard if not impossible.

In order to get your picture as close to color accurate as possible you need a color meter like an Eye One Display 2 or a spyder 2. They cost about $100. On the plus side off that cost is you can calibrate any display in your home with it.

You also need a computer to plug the meter into (already have one) and tv calibrating software like ColorHCFR (free!).

Finally you need a tutorial to explain the procedure. I found a great one here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457 . Most of the info I threw out I regurgitated from his comprehensive tutorial.

Anyway, I realize you really need to be geek out to do all of this stuff but it does work well.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 9:58:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2012 10:03:49 PM PDT
JNagarya says:
Well said as an accessible and inviting explanation for the uninitiated.

That information, along with the disk and the Curt Palme information, and some patience, and one gets the hang of it in relatively short order. It only looks weird and complicated, from the outside, to the uninitiated.

The immediate value of Palme's information is that it surprises -- and disabuses -- the uninitiated as concerns the correct color of, as example, grass, the color of which is typically enhanced to match one's imagination of grass, rather than matching the actual reality. In other words, HDTVs are typically, and deliberately, malcalibrated by the manufacturers in order to increase number of units sold.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2009
Latest post:  May 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray]
Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray] by Joe Kane (Blu-ray - 2008)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (220)