5.0 out of 5 stars Shel Was One Cool Dude....
Published on September 8, 2005 by Dai-keag-ity

Don't pay a premium for this "edition" as the only difference is that it has a small sticker on the front jacket and a *DEMO* CD pasted into the inside of the cover. That's it.

Published on November 25, 2010 by JAB

5.0 out of 5 stars Shel Was One Cool Dude...., September 8, 2005
I started reading this and other of Shel Silverstein's books when I was about four or five and to this day I have never "outgrown" him. I mean, who can? His rhymes and poems, songs and riddles, they all work for everybody with half a degree of imagination. The most cursory read of Where The Sidewalk Ends will show you not only how good/funny/imaginative/likable/silly/deep Silverstein is (sigh, was...) but you'll catch on to why he was so darn cool. This man was close personal friends with Roman Catholic Cardinals, hippies, rabbis, other poets, songwriters, and no less an icon than Hef, himself. (Shel practically lived the whole 1970's at the Playboy Mansion.) A little known fact is, Shel Silverstein even wrote a little song for his buddy Johnny Cash called "A Boy Named Sue". Ever heard of it? And of everything Shel wrote, the many books out there, I think this one MIGHT just be his best.

Or, wait...no, maybe it's The Light In The Attic.

No, no....maybe it's actually The Giving Tree....

Maybe? Maybe it was Falling Up?

I can never decide. One thing I do know and that's Where The Sidewalk Ends is Silverstein at his most awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Uplifting. Great Poems for ALL Ages!, July 13, 2002
Michael Crane (Orland Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (Hardcover)
I remember this book in the second grade! Wow, that was a long time ago. I remember enjoying the poems very much. Well, I stumbled upon this book a few weeks ago and decided to read them again. It had been quite some time. I still enjoyed it just as much as when I was little, if not more. "Where the Sidewalk Ends" is a literary treat for all ages.
The poems are funny and sincere at the same time. I really enjoyed each and every poem. The drawings are also really good. Just to give you a little taste of my Silverstein's work, here's the very first poem I heard from this book when I was little called, "Hat." And it goes a little something like this:
Teddy said it was a hat,
So I put it on.
Now Dad is saying, "Where the heck's
the toilet plunger gone?"
That's only a SMALL taste of the wonders you will find in this book. My other favorites are "Hat," "Dancing Pants," "I Must Remember," "Warning," "Who," and "The Land of Happy." I'm sure there are many more, but that's all I can think of right now. Bottom line: EVERY poem is great.
Although this is really great for kids, I think this is something EVERYONE would enjoy. Young or old, "Where the Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein is a fine read. One of my favorites.
(If you liked this one, check out "A Light in the Attic." Very good book as well.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Come meet Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout..., November 15, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (Hardcover)
Would you like to meet Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout who would not take the garbage out? Or Dirty Dan, the world's dirtiest man? Accept Shel Silverstein's invitation to come inside his delightful book full of outrageous poems and drawings. The unpredictable and humorous actions of each crazy character grabs readers' attention, keeping them engrossed in each poem, and craving for more. Elementary school-aged children will fall over laughing at Peggy Ann McKay's desperate attempt to avoid school, claiming, "I have the measles and the mumps, a gash, a rash, and purple bumps. My mouth is wet, my throat is dry, I'm going blind in my right eye." Silverstein's use of rhyme and nonsense verse combined with his constant humor captures the reader. His simple pen-and-ink drawings add to the imagery presented in each poem. The reader not only sees, but feels lazy Jane's dry mouth as she waits for it to rain. The application of alliteration, assonance, and consonance makes each poem a delight to read out loud; "For I've been down to the edge of the world, sat on the edge where the wild wind whirled." Some poems not only depict an array of humorous characters, but also create touching moments and offers good advice. Silverstein suggests playing hug o' war, rather than tug o' war, and assures young readers that, "Anything can happen, child, ANYTHING can be." Children ages nine to twelve will enjoy reading these well crafted poems that portray both ludicrous and poignant messages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where The Sidewalk Ends, August 14, 2006
A Kid's Review
This book was very enjoyable. It made me laugh out loud. My favorite is Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would not take the Garbage Out! I really recommend it for everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Six Years Old And I Love This Book!, March 2, 2001
This review is from: Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (Hardcover)
It is a really good book because there are a lot of great poems. My teacher read some of the poems to our class. I liked it so much that I took it out of my school library. I can't wait until my Mom and Dad buy this book for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars **** One of the Best Books of All Time!!! ****, March 9, 2001
This review is from: Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (Hardcover)
One of the best books of all time -- What more needs to be said? This is truly the most memorable book of my childhood. Smile after smile .... memory after memory. I agree with the reviewer here who says that "No child should grow up without this book!" ... It's fun to read, and makes some really good points about life!! Definitely a MUST HAVE at ANY age!!! Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this edition for the [demo] CD- it has only 10 poems..., November 25, 2010

I and my family thoroughly love this book (and many other Shel Silverstein works) and when we misplaced our copy I went in search of a new one and at the same time I wanted to purchase the CD.
I saw that this "anniversary edition" came with the CD and was excited that instead of buying the book and CD separately, I would pay a bit of a premium and kill two birds with one stone (and heck, there might even be an extra goodie included with the "anniversary edition).
Nice plan eh?

I sure wish the description had indicated that the "CD" was only a demo containing ten "highlights" from the actual CD (though Sony was nice enough to print on the demo CD that the "full" standard CD can be purchased from them. :(
Knowing that it was a Sony CD from circa 2002, I now must scan my computer to see if their infamous rootkit has been installed on my computer.

If that part had been advertised when I was ordering this I would have bought different "edition" and put the extra $$$ towards buying the REAL CD that should go with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars W E L O V E T H I S B O O K !!!!!!, December 5, 2007
A Kid's Review
I love this book!! My sister loves it too. It's because it IS a masterpiece and will forever remain one. Silverstein's rhymes and poems, songs and riddles -- they all work for everybody with half a degree of imagination. Another great book that I got as a birthday gift is Why Some Cats are Rascals, Book 2". I found it much more interesting than Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars got my daughter reading, May 12, 2000
S. Healy (Cleveland, OH, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (Hardcover)
Shel Silverstein has done a wonderful thing with this book. He inspires children to read. My 3rd grade daughter was not too keen on sitting down to read a book, until she found this one in the library. She will sit down for hours now and read and reread all of the poems. Her favoriate is "Sick" the story of a little girl with every ailment you can think of - until she finds out it is Saturday. The poems are things that kids can relate to - and they are an easy and quick read. I recommend this book to everyone, but especially to those who are trying to inspire their young children with a love of reading

5.0 out of 5 stars No Child should grow up without this book!, February 24, 2001
"intentaccess" (Boca Raton, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (Hardcover)
My favorite aunt gave me this book as a child and all my children love this book! No child should grow up without these Poems. We have an anual Christmas Eve tradition in my family, and we all sit with all the presents around the tree...we sing, eat, then we all recite our favorite poems from this classic! It is funny how everybody seems to have different favoritesm, but I don't think there is a poem in there we miss.

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings
Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings by Shel Silverstein (Hardcover - February 18, 2014)
$19.99 $12.83