Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Where is That in the Bible?
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on July 10, 2006
The summary for this book is a little bit misleading. It assumes that you are Catholic and trying to prove your beliefs to a non-Catholic, and even there it falls short by only pointing you to a bible verse and not giving any explanation. If I were Catholic I might be able to use this personally, but it won't help you with a non-believer. For anyone seeking answers about the Catholic faith it just brings up more questions. Try the catechism, even though it's intimidating. If it isn't in there, it isn't truly Catholic doctrine.

"A Protestant/Catholic Conversation" is good too.
44 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2013
This is supposed to be a book showing aspiring Catholic apologists the Scriptural defense of the major doctrines and practices of the Catholic Faith, but it does a poor job of it, in that the passages quoted often have little or nothing to do with the doctrine or practice in question. The Catholic interpretation of many passages is assumed, not proven exegetically. Any Catholic who arms himself with just what this book contains will have his clocked cleaned in a discussion with any informed, knowledgeable evangelical believer.
on June 30, 2003
I'm a lapsed Catholic. Much of the reason for my "straying" from the Church centered around differences of opinion when it came to some of the Church's teachings. When I couldn't get the *why* answered through my youth minister, friends or even multiple priests, I left. So, when I saw this book, I was somewhat excited that it might finally answer many of the questions I had. Unfortunately, it doesn't. The author points out in the introduction that there are many ways to interpret any given sentence, let alone the Scriptures. He then proceeds to cite Scripture verses in an attempt to explain/defend the Catholic teachings. However, in many cases, the verse quoted does not appear to support the specific teaching . . . at least, I can't see how it does. And the author does not go on to explain/extrapolate how the verse applies, or what the "proper" interpretation should be. Obviously, if the Scriptures were so crystal clear that all it took was a quick quote in order to explain a particular teaching, there wouldn't be such a big rift between denominations. But the author does not go into any more detail or support the statements (teachings) made, even after going to lengths to explain how any given statement can be interpretted in multiple fashions. Basically, I was expecting a book that would explain the Catholic teachings, then follow it up with *why* the Church teaches it. This book fails miserably in that regard.