Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

83%
17%
Format: Paperback|Change

on May 16, 2012
Several years ago I took a class in Group Spiritual Direction at the Mercy Center. Every week, we learned a new model of doing group work, and it was wonderful. Problem is, I can't find any of my notes from it, and I've forgotten most of it! So for years I kicked myself about it. But no more. Dan Prechtel's book is like that whole class in one elegant, compact volume--and then some! It is a treasure trove of group models, and I am eager for an opportunity to try some of them out.

Full disclosure: I know Dan. And I can say that the warmth, integrity, and deep experience that is evident when you meet him in person is on full display in his writing. I am a long-time trainer of spiritual directors, and was pleased when Morehouse asked me to do a blurb for the cover.

That blurb was short, but truthfully, I can't say enough about this book. I'm recommending to friends, colleagues, and students. It is, hands down, the best book on group work I have seen.
on December 19, 2012
This book introduces several forms of small spiritually-oriented groups and I found it very helpful in my own ministry to se the variety of types to help discern what form best suits what purpose. The author gives suggested outlines for the various types- very helpful for someone beginning to offer groups or someone more experienced to take a look at possible guidelines. I have shared the book with colleagues who are in both contemplative and healing ministries.
on December 12, 2012
This book is extremely valuable in categorizing and explaining the dynamics of various forms of group spiritual direction. Do members of the group primarily want to focus on their own spiritual growth and journey? Does the group want to engage in mutual discernment about a group decision? Does the group want to look outward and help be supportive of the group members' engagement in social justice causes? Daniel Prechtel, very much drawing on his own experience of having wandered into the wilderness of trying to be spiritual on his own, discusses the background of spiritual direction, the value of allowing and encouraging spiritual growth to take place in community, and describes how different kinds of group spiritual direction can be organized and kept going. He provides a helpful generic description of how each group's sessions together might work and a reading list for further exploration of each possibility. Highly recommended!
on February 16, 2014
I borrowed this book from our local retreat center's library and it is such a good resource that I decided to purchase a copy.
on May 8, 2014
Oh, maybe the beard. You were philosophical, even way back then. Good to see you! Time has treated you kindly.
on April 26, 2012
blurred images......typeface unreadable....printed on cheap recycled newspaper -- since when did size 4 font become appropriate for tables in a book? I hope my copy was the exception because I have no desire to read any further than the unreadable table on page 9