5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired idea
Published 11 months ago by Peter Ross Range

3.0 out of 5 stars Remembering JFK
Being a great admirer of Kennedy, I was eager to read the book, but found it disappointing in some ways. I thought it would be mostly about where people were on the day of the assassination. Instead, it dwelled too much on the different theories surrounding the actual assassination itself. Some sections were actually boring to me.
Published 3 months ago by Robert C Fulton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired idea, October 29, 2013
Peter Ross Range (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where Were You?: America Remembers The JFK Assassination (Hardcover)
Gus Russo knows what he's doing. The Kennedy assassination was so important not just because of what it did to our president, but because of what it did to us. It changed the country forever, in ways that go beyond the loss of a popular hero and a new fear of violence on all sides. That's why Russo was smart to go to the personal reaction story, leaving the assassination story to others. Capturing it through the remembrances of the famous and not-so-famous is inspired. That he could pull it off, and get Tom Brokaw to do the interviewing, is amazing. A great addition to the historical record.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of them all, October 29, 2013
There have been a glut of books about the Kennedys this fall, most them regurgitating what we all know. This one is different. This one is unique. This is the one that people will save and look into in years to come. Gusso is known for tough investigative books. This is different. It shows his range and how profoundly JFK's death affected us. I'm giving this one to friends as a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars The One Book to Get for the 50th Anniversary of President Kennedy's Death, October 29, 2013
Dan E. Moldea (Washington, D.C.) - See all my reviews
This book is an amazing and emotional collection about the effect this terrible event had on individuals, our country, and our world.
From former Presidents to multiple Oscar winners to average people caught up in the wake of the tragedy, "Where Were You" provides the reader with one stunning perspective after another. Gus Russo called on many friends and sources collected over a lifetime to let us into their world. Many of those included here have never spoken publicly about the death of JFK.

Taken together, the interviews will at last give those who weren't yet born a sense of why it hit the rest of us so hard. For those who were alive, "Where Were You" will bring back nostalgic memories of a very different time.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER GREAT BOOK BY A GIFTED WRITER, December 24, 2013
Gus Russo is one of the great experts on the JFK assassination as well as a gifted writer and acclaimed investigative journalist. His previous books on the assassination – Live By The Sword (1998) and Brothers in Arms (2008) - are essential reading for anyone wishing to understand Oswald’s motive as well as the very credible proposition that the committed Castro hero-worshipper may have been encouraged to kill JFK by Castro’s intelligence agents.
And it is Russo’s authoritative knowledge of the JFK assassination which lends credibility to his new book – a compilation of first-person stories of those who lived through the tragedy. This book will assuredly stand the test of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where were You? America remembers the JFK Assassination, January 3, 2014
K. R. Norton (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
If you were alive when JFK was assassinated, this is a must-have book. It will bring back the time and the sense of being rocked to our cores by the event and its aftermath. If you were not around, it is STILL a must-have book. It will introduce you to what it was like back then, not in a sensationalist way, but in the very close and personal accounts that the author was able to gather. You will be able to experience the America of that day in a way that cannot be truly experienced in a TV or film documentary, however well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, January 2, 2014
When I went to the library I saw this on the shelf, I walked right past it at first. I was looking for something more biographical on JFK. Looking at it I thought that maybe it was a book about different people telling intimate encounters of where they were when JFK was assassinated. I'm not sure why, but I went back and checked it out. I began reading it that night, I'm glad that I went back. I love it! It was much more then I expected. There is a chapter that is dedicated to each person who they interviewed for this book. And the people they interviewed is a wide variety from President Clinton to John Glenn. This book covers all the basis, the people who knew the Kennedy's intimately, the assassination, the conspiracy theories, etc. One of the most things I love about this book is that the Arthur doesn't try to portray Kennedy as either good or bad....he interviews people who has a variety of opinions some good and some bad, and some between. I would recommend this books to anyone. great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, October 27, 2013
Vince Palamara (South Park/Bethel Park, PA) - See all my reviews
This book is yet another good 50th anniversary keepsake that is a worthwhile addition to your collection. Harry Moses is to be commended for compiling people's reactions to a seminal moment in time. Tom Brokaw's input is appreciated as well. Russo? No comment.

Vince Palamara
author of "Survivor's Guilt: The Secret Service and the Failure to Protect President Kennedy"

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting book, March 16, 2014
I've read plenty of Kennedy books as my late g-ma got me hooked on this time period and family. This book is unique because it gives you thoughts and insites of people who actually have met the President once or a few times or knew him personally, newspaper/media people, intellectuals and even people who were friends and coworkers with Lee Harvey Oswald and their thoughts not only on 11/22/63 but tidbits of their experiences during that time and their feedback on who did it, Kennedy's contributions, etc. I thought this would be another book on JFK but it's not, it is d*mn interesting and hard to put down.

4.0 out of 5 stars None, March 16, 2014
This was better than i was expecting. Interesting , enjoyed reading diferent viewpoints. A few people have a personal agenda of selling their own books but overall , very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Given as gifts to Mother and Mother-in-law, March 12, 2014
I gave two copies of this book as gifts to my two favorite ladies. Happy to say that I have caught both of them reading it. The style in which it is written is very engaging and they have told me that this period of history has created a lasting impression upon their generation.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Where Were You?: America Remembers The JFK Assassination
Where Were You?: America Remembers The JFK Assassination by Gus Russo (Hardcover - November 5, 2013)
$29.95 $1.95